Linkshare wierdness
    Hello,
    I have a customer who gets a "page not found" error with every single linkshare link that she tries. She can access CJ links from my site, no problem. I can access the same Linkshare links that she can't access from my site and so can another computer on my home network. This isn't the normal behavior of ad blocking and she doesn't currently have ad blocking enabled anyway. Is it possible that this is a browser (IE) setting problem?

The other thing I've noticed is that my commissions from Linkshare has fallen off quite a bit since October 1st. I have a fairly steady client community who use my site because they have special needs that I cater to. I wonder if other customers are having problems accessing linshare links? Not only have commissions fallen off but a week ago a customer that I've conversed with before wrote to tell me that she couldn't order through another linkshare merchant that she usually orders from through my site. I tried getting details but she never wrote back so I don't know what her problems were.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of writing to linkshare but I have never gotten a satisfactory response from them regarding Norton ad blocking and I don't have confidence that I will in this case either.
    Thanks for any thoughts,
    Terry

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Hi Terry,

Wish I could be helpful but only have to say that I have a LS merchant who's links on MY computer are not working but *seem* to be working on other computers because clicks and sales are posting. I don't have ad blocking on my computer. The merchant still hasn't helped and an email to LS has yet to be replied to. Good luck. I would suggest contacting each merchant to look into it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Exclamation
    while we're on the subject, kinda, don't make product links where you have a copy of the merchant's site and the product link generator page both inside LS. Open LS to make product links for the merchant, but open a separate browser window to the merchant from which to get the url.

And don't expect product links made for LS merchants to last forever. You have to keep checking them as the merchants make changes without telling anyone.

It sounds like a poisoned hosts file.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks very much for your responses.:-) Michael - great idea to check the hosts file. I've had google blocked several times with that file but no one else and I didn't even think of it. Thanks very much, I'll work with her on that file and let you all know if that is the solution.

Rexanne - I suspect that this particular problem is related to linkshare links in general and not a particular merchant since at least 2 merchants from linkshare are blocked for my customer. I find that most merchant affilate contacts are not very technical but there are a few that are more technical. I've written to quite a few merchants for various reasons and some do not respond at all and others are very responsive.

Herb - I've had no difficulty making links using the linkshare interface and having the merchant window open except for one merchant and I have quite a few merchants through linkshare. Yes, I agree, very important to keep links functioning. I find some merchant's links are more stable than others. I keep a "date checked" comment in each file and try to rotate checking links. I'm working on automating my website via datafeeds so that I can update all pages at once rather than having to check each link. The problem with that is that some datafeeds seem to have a lot of links that are already out of date, depending on the merchant. The other problem that I find with checking links is when using an automatic link checker, it's best to get one that flags re-directed links because some merchants re-direct to their homepage so even though the link looks OK, the customer does not go to the product. Another problem with trying to automate the process is that several merchants just show that the product is not in stock which means that every link has to be checked by hand for those merchants in order to determine if the product is in stock or not. I'm still working on a solution for that one.

Thanks again for all your feed-back. It's really appreciated.
    Terry

Michael - Thanks for your help! It *was* the hosts file and your suggestion fixed it for her. Perhaps Rexanne can fix the problem on her computer by editing the hosts file.:-)

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheer@iinet.com
    Michael - Thanks for your help! It *was* the hosts file and your suggestion fixed it for her. Perhaps Rexanne can fix the problem on her computer by editing the hosts file.:-)
    Ditto on the thanks. Amazingly, I just checked the links in question and they are now working just fine on my computer. I already checked for browser and adware blocks. I just got a new computer and my computer tech is a major protection junkie ... has more prophylactics on this machine than ... uhmmmm ... I won't go there! But without changing anything, the links now work. Wonder if someone fixed something. I'd love to know. Not just be left to wonder. Ah well. As long as my visitors were able to get there, I'm OK with it.

Thanks for everyone's input!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread