ae:allowing descriptions/reviews to show
    Hi,

I realize the space that I have alloted to display the amazon books in is a little narrow
    (http://www.improve-reading-skills.co...g_together.htm), but even with that isn't there a way to allow some of the description or maybe even the review of all of the books to show?

Create a custom format template file that displays the details you want to display.

See ae-format/column.html format template as a starting point. For example, instead of using the /grid_.../ parameter, use /format_column/ to use the column.html file. See the ae-format/details6.html file for what fields you can use in your own custom format template.

FYI, to show the first 100 characters of the product description, use: {details.ProductDescription:100} Change the :100 if you want more/less characters, such as :60 for 60 characters.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Cororation
    per: David Cusimano

Hello,

In regards to my post below where I would like the script to show some of the description, Could you explain a little more in detail about how to display the first 100 characters of the product description (you mentioned it below)?

This is what the technician had to say in his email when he tried your FIRST suggestion on how to display the description:

"The products does not have product descriptions, so it was displayed blank in place of description , I tried using the Column format as you suggested from forum (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=64658), I edited the column.htm file, again the format in page gone bad, so then i omitted the format_column. Waiting for any suggestions."

Again, if you could go into a bit more details about how to display the first 100 characters of each book description that would be great.

Thanks.

Regards,

I am having this problem as well in as much that I can't get any description or item reviews to show up at all. I have tried using all of the details format templates bu none of them will show description or reviews. I would guess that the variable names details.ProductDescription and details.reviews are either incorrect or maybe Amazon have changed something.
    Either way, I would like to have a fix for this to save a lot of cutting and pasting!!

Regards

Alan

Create /cgi-bin/ae-format/columndesc.txt with the following contents:

<!--format.header-->
    <CENTER>
    <!--/format.header-->

<!--format.cell-->

<P><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="-2"><!--format.image.small?y--><BR>
    <A HREF="{format.url?y}">{details.ProductName:50}</A>

<!--if details.ProductDescription-->
    <BR>{details.ProductDescription@100}
    <!--endif-->

<!--if details.ourprice--><BR>
    Price: <B><FONT COLOR="{cfg.prices.color}">{details.ourprice}</FONT></B>
    <!--endif-->

</FONT></P>

<!--/format.cell-->

<!--format.footer--></CENTER><!--/format.footer-->

<!--format.moreinfo nocrlf--><!--/format.moreinfo-->
    <!--format.copyrightAmazon nocrlf--><!--/format.copyrightAmazon-->

This is the same as the ae-format/columns.html file except that the description variable has been added to the format.cell definition (see code shown above in green). The "if" statement tests to see if the current product has a description; some products do not have one. The 100 limits the description to 100 characters, and the @ removes any HTML that may be in the description such as <i>.

Then when calling ae.pl, use:

format_columndesc

instead of:

grid_c:1,r:12,p:green,at,if,u

(Note to other webmasters: This webmaster is using mod_write so that's why it's format_columndesc instead of format=columndesc).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Just an update to say that I have now cured the problem with the lack of description and reviews. It seems that the cure is to update the ae.pl file to the latest beta release. Although I had done this for the amazon.co.uk ae.pl, i hadn't done the same to the Amazon.com file. Consequently, the UK pages were showing OK but not the US ones.

Maybe Rebecca1 above may be having the same problem.

Regards

Alan

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread