ABW Ambassador
    Significant others w/ sites?
    Those of you w/ wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc. w/ sites, how do you do it? What do you do when they insist on having ads or links to their sites on yours even if their sites don't have anything to do w/ yours? What do you do when they insist on being listed before yours when they're basically sorted by quality & they've maybe designed two sites in their life & you have countless sites under your belt? How do you tell them, w/out causing a fight, that what they're asking for, or insisting upon, is not appropriate? Or do you just cave & forget about any credibility you think you might have?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My mother's got sites.

What do you do when they insist on having ads or links to their sites on yours even if their sites don't have anything to do w/ yours? Hide the link on some back page, in the footer. By the time they realize that kind of a link's good for nothing...they will have enough of a clue not to ask that kind of thing!

What do you do when they insist on being listed before yours
    Wa ha ha!! Listed before MINE?!? She knows THAT would never happen!! So it hasn't come up. I don't think anyone (no matter what the relationship) who knows me, would ask for that even in a dream!

How do you tell them, w/out causing a fight, that what they're asking for, or insisting upon, is not appropriate?
    Sorry, I don't know that one--if someone tried to insist on that with me, it would be WAR! I'd have my verbal sword out before they knew wtf!

Or do you just cave & forget about any credibility you think you might have?Not on your LIFE!!!

But, if *you* cave, you may put "My s/o's site" next to the listing--that would let everyone know it was a...biased...recommendation.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I guess you could make their links a sponsor link...it would look more like a paid link than anything and your visitors probably wouldn't mind that it was non-related.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Anyone who would expect or insist or even ASK you to do any such thing needs to be slapped. :-) Just say no. Maybe, if you're nicer than Leader and I, you could offer a rational explanation.

While I keep saying that my next boyfriend will "have" to be a web master, too, just so we can relate to each other, I'd be hard pressed to entertain the idea of linking to ANYONE'S site that wasn't appropriate for my visitors. I do have 2 other sites that would be perfect for anyone's link so that's where they'd go, STILL with a disclaimer. Or I'd just get another boyfriend. Doubt I'd be able to tolerate someone without a clue for too long anyway.

All the same, good luck with whoever is yanking your chain about this, Celi. Get tough, explain ethics, reputation and appropriatness as best you can and if this significant other don't get it, go out to dinner, have a nice bottle of wine and pretend you can go home alone. ;-)

Let us know how it goes.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

While I keep saying that my next boyfriend will "have" to be a web master, too, just so we can relate to each other,

Be very careful Rexanne, most of the man around here are web masters, and some are single!

So don't be surprised if your next boyfriend, will be the one that send you a PM on ABW after reading that you're looking for a boyfriend with at least a web master degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    My mother's got sites.

What do you do when they insist on having ads or links to their sites on yours even if their sites don't have anything to do w/ yours? Hide the link on some back page, in the footer. By the time they realize that kind of a link's good for nothing...they will have enough of a clue not to ask that kind of thing!

What do you do when they insist on being listed before yours
    Wa ha ha!! Listed before MINE?!? She knows THAT would never happen!! So it hasn't come up. I don't think anyone (no matter what the relationship) who knows me, would ask for that even in a dream!

How do you tell them, w/out causing a fight, that what they're asking for, or insisting upon, is not appropriate?
    Sorry, I don't know that one--if someone tried to insist on that with me, it would be WAR! I'd have my verbal sword out before they knew wtf!

Or do you just cave & forget about any credibility you think you might have?Not on your LIFE!!!

But, if *you* cave, you may put "My s/o's site" next to the listing--that would let everyone know it was a...biased...recommendation.
    Wana link to my site. I am your uncles brothers cousin neices nephew great great great grand mothers aunt brothers cousin.

I haven't had an experience like this with a loved one, but sometimes when somebody asks I just tell them like it is. I say I'll give you a link when you've hit PR6 and you've got at least 3000 unique visitors per day. Gives them something to shoot for and the reciprocation would actually be worth something to me at that point. If it's unrelated I'd just say the link won't do either of us any good as it'll cause a mismatch in the eyes of the search engines and degrade both of our ranks.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    Those of you w/ wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc. w/ sites, how do you do it? What do you do when they insist on having ads or links to their sites on yours even if their sites don't have anything to do w/ yours? What do you do when they insist on being listed before yours when they're basically sorted by quality & they've maybe designed two sites in their life & you have countless sites under your belt? How do you tell them, w/out causing a fight, that what they're asking for, or insisting upon, is not appropriate? Or do you just cave & forget about any credibility you think you might have?

Family is family - but business is business.

Just do what you have to do.

If you were working in a business owned by some one else you couldn't do them special favors at work could you?

Of course - get ready for them to get mad at you and them tell them to - just get over it and go right on ahead and do what you want to do with your website.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal

Be very careful Rexanne, most of the man around here are web masters, and some are single!

So don't be surprised if your next boyfriend, will be the one that send you a PM on ABW after reading that you're looking for a boyfriend with at least a web master degree.

Sal you've got to be kidding ....right????

NO REAL Man here at ABW or anywhere would get within 20 paces for this honey....

If you have read any of Rexanne's tirades about men and the stupid things men do... you would know she likes her men neutered...

ouch!! that hurts just mentioning it....

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Internet Cowboy
    Yikes...the anti ABW dating thread! I ain't touchin' that one

My girlfriend knows enough about the web to order things and I am happy about that. I prefer not to date someone in my own industry. I am too competitive and I would rather our time together NOT be spent talking about parasites and other industry issues.
    Also...because she doesn't know about all of this, when I tell her I am the King of affiliate marketing she doesn't know any different. j/k

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Yikes...the anti ABW dating thread! I ain't touchin' that one

My girlfriend knows enough about the web to order things and I am happy about that. I prefer not to date someone in my own industry. I am too competitive and I would rather our time together NOT be spent talking about parasites and other industry issues.
    Also...because she doesn't know about all of this, when I tell her I am the King of affiliate marketing she doesn't know any different. j/k
    LOL Unc! At least she listens ... most people's eyes glaze over and have no clue (or care to) about AM.

And for the record, I do not like neutered men, quite the opposite actually. I'm a strong woman, I prefer a man with BALLS who can keep up. I consider ABW members (male or female) friends ... I need friends more than I need a boyfriend who understands what I do.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Celica - tell her to post X amount of times here and get a sig, then she's got ABW backlinks
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Rexie's got more balls than Lexie (CJ) ever did! LOL [Sorry Lex ]

Rexie
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Wana link to my site. I am your uncles brothers cousin neices nephew great great great grand mothers aunt brothers cousin.
    You WANT a back-page footer link on some unrelated site??
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Rexie's got more balls than Lexie (CJ) ever did! LOL [Sorry Lex ]

Rexie
    Thank you Haiko. You're still my hero. :-)

I don't know who Lexie is (was) but she might be better off. It aint easy having balls AND tits.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

+

+
    LOL Mr Sal!

Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Celica - tell her to post X amount of times here and get a sig, then she's got ABW backlinks
    eh, that would require work on her part...
    I think she may have registered here some time ago when she started her first site, but realized it's not so easy... she doesn't seem to understand that it takes work and time. Her having a site or two was supposed to help give me more time to work on my stuff... boy was I wrong!

Talking

+

Mr Sal.

+ =

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Yea it's simply something lame to ask of someone and it's happened to myself many times...and they get offended when you say no, huh?

I tell them it might cause adverse effect on my site(s) placement and it would be better for both of our stances in long term security to keep our sites (and or networks) unaffiliated with each other. Remind them this is hard enough to do within your own network without having to bring in someone else's.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread