I'm an Idiot
    Yea, I know you have all known that for sometime but here is what I just noticed. One of my pages for some reason and my guess is it was a mistake on my part had a Pid that wasn't mine. I'm not sure how long it has been up there w/the wrong pid# but it is on one of my more visited pages than most of the others. Right in prime time on top of the page In other words, whatever sales came from that link didn't go to me and again my bad.

I'm curious if anyone knows how high the pids are at. Is anyones in the 900000 range? Most of mine are 7 numbers starting with the number 1 . The chances are that I used the an ad-ID by mistake

Todd, do you know by chance. Also if a sale is going through with a pid that doesn't exist, is it possible to prove the pid was on my site and get the sales. That is of course as long as another affiliate doesn't have the same pid as I made the mistake with.

Packy Thanks I have been wondering why my account had so many sales lately
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

LMAO Falcon Well I guess if I can't get the sales even if that Pid doesn't exist then I just assume someone did get them, even better if it's someone from here

Cool
    well, if you don't ask you'll never know. if the numbers weren't taken elsewhere you might have a chance. might, but good luck on getting an answer via AAQ.

still . . .

maybe Todd would act as ombudsman on this one?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    If you want to put my pid on your sites, just let me know. Anything I can do to help you feel good about yourself, Packy.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Internet Cowboy
    If you could get someone at CJ to actually help you, I bet you might could get those sales credited to you if they went to a nonexistant PID. I am sure CJ has a catchall account where unidentified PID sales go.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    Todd, do you know by chance. Also if a sale is going through with a pid that doesn't exist, is it possible to prove the pid was on my site and get the sales. That is of course as long as another affiliate doesn't have the same pid as I made the mistake with.
    If there were no valid corresponding PID to match it up to (must not only be a valid PID but the PID must be joined to the advertiser), then it would go in a temporary error file. I doubt we would be able to recover any txns in this case.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    If you could get someone at CJ to actually help you, I bet you might could get those sales credited to you if they went to a nonexistant PID. I am sure CJ has a catchall account where unidentified PID sales go.
    I doubt it those are Todd's pids'

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Nah, Todd gets the Temporary Error File Folder

I'm joshing Todd. The sales would definitely be connected to the merchant along with the link used. I also had a sid attached to it if that might help.

Herb,

I'll try giving the merchant a call first but if I'm reading what Todd says, the sale might not of even made it to the merchants end.

Elbow, throw me a bone and give me a tarp sale and that will help me feel better

Scooter, it's definitely worth checking into. I should know better than to try and change codes by hand to begin with.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I should know better than to try and change codes by hand to begin with.
    Right--only with a program, can you change one PID, type a typo in the new one, and accidentally find/replace that typo into an entire 5,000-page folder!

Just a little-mentioned occasional downside to automation...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Your posts are most inconsistent.

Packy,

What is a big shot multi-millionaire like yourself worried about a few lost transactions for?

Just a guess here, but wouldn't CJ have access to the referring URL for completed transactions that get dumped into the error file?
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    Elbow, throw me a bone and give me a tarp sale and that will help me feel better
    LOL, let's work on that!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Here's another one of those beautiful damned if you do, damned if you don't issues.

On the one hand, those commissions are rightfully owed to Packy, both because he sent the traffic, and he's a fellow Upstate NYer

On the other hand, does CJ have the resources to track down all misplaced sales? I'm sure that a lot of you will argue that it's CJ's job to stay on top of this, but from the bigger perspective, I'm not sure it's practical.

Hope it works out for you Packy.
    Last edited by Noth; October 17th, 2005 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Spelling

Your thread title definitely catches the eye!

Geno

I should qualify my above comment by saying I meant when the affiliate makes a mistake. Tracking sales IS their job. Fixing affiliate mistakes isn't.

And we've all done it, Packy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Here's another one of those beautiful damned if you do, damned if you don't issues.

On the one hand, those commissions are rightfully owed to Packy, both because he sent the traffic, and he's a fellow Upstate NYer

Hope it works out for you Packy.
    LOL Noth especially rightfully mine for being a NYer

Utoh Leader, now you have me worried I've been doing a lot of site wide find and replace.

What is a big shot multi-millionaire like yourself worried about a few lost transactions for?
    Lol Heyder, Maybe in my ex wifes dreams

Geno, I take it thats a vote yes for Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I dont understand why u think my post inconsistent. The link you are referring to is about all you affiliates complaining about cj.

Furthermore there is nothing wrong with saying " Those are Todd's Pid's"

As long as we're on the topic of affiliate mistakes, here's one I fortunately caught early:

If you cut and paste a PID from your CJ account page into the PSC generator or just about anything, it has the tendency to put a space before your PID in the text, which then makes it a null and void PID.

So be VERY careful with that one. It's best to type your PID in manually, or check for the space after you are done with the code snippet. This isn't true of using the Get HTML links from CJ... only when you are copying your PID manually using Copy/Paste or Cut/Paste.

If it's a batch merchant, it'll show up as an error in the transaction file for the merchant. They may or may not review the errors and try to find the problem. (I suspect most don't.) They'll probably have to go all the way back to their server logs to figure out where it's coming from.

If it's a real-time merchant, I'm not sure they'll ever even know about it.

Back when I first started, I accidentally deleted one character from my PID for about half of the links for one of my CJ merchants. The affiliate manager caught the problem, notified me about it, and manually credited me for all of the untracked commissions. I've been a loyal affiliate in that program ever since. That affiliate manager went well beyond the call of duty. The way I looked it, it was my mistake and the merchant wasn't obligated to make it right. Plus, I didn't even know about it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I did talk to the merchant today and nothing was showing up. Most likely it is like Todd says, if the pid isn't matched to an affiliate then it goes to neverending land. I hope if I happen to do it again in the future that at least it will be an active pid where someone will at least get credit for it. Thanks all for the responses

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread