Question Tracking Clicks?!!!
    I have done some independent testing with cj , linkshare and performics in relation ship to click thrus. I have found through out all three main networks, 30-50% of my click thrus are not being tracked. I have my own stats that show the click thru and ip addresses of each merchants links. The number of click thrus i have is alot more than the number of click thrus that the three main networks show. Anyone else have this sort of problem?

DOes anyone else have this sort of problem? ARe the clicks that are tracked through the networks based on ip addresses or total clicks?

Any feed back would be great!

Thanks

anyone else having same problem?

One possibility is that the clickthrough is counted per session. So if a visitor clicks on one of your links to go to a merchant's site and then during the same browser session if he/she comes back to your site and clicks again on a link to go to the same merchant, it might be counted as just one clickthrough.

This is just a speculation. I too am interested to know how clickthroughs are actually counted by the networks.

-nishith

Hi Nishith,

I am awaiting a reply from the networks. I will post as soon as i find out the information. Thanks for responding

Jason Bishop

Are you filtering out spiders/bots?

I track my own clicks through a redirect script (and don't redirect or count spiders/bots), and the numbers I see usually match within about 5%.

Keep in mind that Amazon.com only tracks unique clicks, not total clicks. Performics may be the same--I don't remember. (The other major networks all track total clicks.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply! I currently track using a redirect script also. It tracks by user ip addresses. Do bots have thier own ip addresses? Is there anyway to tell if these are coming from bots?
    Thank You,
    Jason Bishop

Jason,
    Usually most of the spiders identify themselves by the user agent. Like for google it is googlebot and for yahoo its yahoo slurp. So you can screen the bots using the user agent.

-nishith

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Keep in mind that Amazon.com only tracks unique clicks, not total clicks. Performics may be the same--I don't remember. (The other major networks all track total clicks.)
    So what do you think makes more sense for the affiliates? Unique clicks, clicks per browser session or total clicks?

What would you ideally want to see? Maybe both uniques and total clicks?

Thanks!
    -nishith

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread