Is DMOZ really dead?
    How come according to Alexa, they are still getting around 600,000+ unique ips a day. Must be lots of zombies

Who still uses Dmoz??

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    How come according to Alexa, they are still getting around 600,000+ unique ips a day. Must be lots of zombies
    Every editor probably has the bar installed.

But, where does Alexa guess how many unique ips come to a site? I've only seen Alexa say the relative popularity of a site vs. other sites they know about. And the relative popularity's mega-easy for just one person to skew!

Who still uses Dmoz??
    I never DID use them. I don't like "directories." Real engines (ie, ones with spiders) have better variety--and most engines aren't so prejudiced against affiliates as d-blows.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'm with Leader. I'll take one suspect algorithim over xteen jaded humans with agendas any day.

another reason dmoz has so many hits. Because so many clone sights leach off its dirctory

BTW, I don't think all of the editors have a "personal" agenda. That was a poor generalization on my part.

Sheesh, I wish I had 600,000 uniques a day! Crawlers wouldn't register on Alexa either.

Normally when people start moaning about DMOZ it's because their sites have been rejected or are sitting in the toxic spam pile waiting to be reviewed
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Sheesh, I wish I had 600,000 uniques a day! Crawlers wouldn't register on Alexa either.

Normally when people start moaning about DMOZ it's because their sites have been rejected or are sitting in the toxic spam pile waiting to be reviewed
    You could probably search back through ABW posts and find dozens of 'dmoz is dead' threads, going back years.

I would disagree with Dynamoo's generalization, though,since dmoz and it's editors bring the criticisms and moaning upon themselves with a number of self imposed restrictions, all of which they are overtly proud of.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I poked it and it didn't move.

I nudged it and it didn't move.

I rolled it over with my foot and it didn't move.

If it ain't dead it's doing a hell of a good impersonation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I poked it and it didn't move.

I nudged it and it didn't move.

I rolled it over with my foot and it didn't move.

If it ain't dead it's doing a hell of a good impersonation.
    Some bits are definitely twitching. Although that could just be a side effect of decomposition I suppose.

Err honestly though.. I can't think of any directories that are better than DMOZ (or look at it another way, other directories are even worse). Mind you, the way Google is going, we could all be relying more on good old fashioned web directories in the future!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Talking
    So - You're saying that it's the best of the worse.

That's not very good.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

You can check it out with this tool:

http://www.webmasterscavern.com/tool...ffic/index.php

ABW Ambassador
    eBay listing (5626578939) has been removed
    DMOZ editor was selling ONE of his 3 editor accounts today...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=5626578939&ss

LOL

added:
    Reason #9
    Can I make money as a DMOZ editor?

People understand that the DMOZ is corrupt and will often attempt to bribe you. When you are with a corporate client, you can easily charge $1,000 or more for a DMOZ listing. It is both that important and extremely difficult to get listed.

Invalid Item
    This listing (5626578939) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available.
    Either DMOZ got to hear about it or the link above is wrong
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    eBay thread REMOVED
    I got bid out just over $100. Too rich for my blood.
    By wheel at Tue, 2005-10-18 16:29 | login or register to post comments | top
    How high will it go?

Start the pool now. My guess: $2200
    By Nebraska at Tue, 2005-10-18 16:46 | login or register to post comments | top
    I'll take $1400 Nebraska

I'll take $1400 Nebraska
    By kino at Tue, 2005-10-18 16:50 | login or register to post comments | top
    I'm feeling lucky....

$3,289
    By eurotrash at Tue, 2005-10-18 18:57 | login or register to post comments | top

I still use them once in a while when I need to do a comprehensive research.

Other than that, their search results are not relevant to what I'm looking for most of the time. And theres the infinite category trap. SEs dread the infinite loop, I dread the infinite category (when you go from Category A back to Category A without finding anything). very frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by UKJ
    I still use them once in a while when I need to do a comprehensive research.

Other than that, their search results are not relevant to what I'm looking for most of the time. And theres the infinite category trap. SEs dread the infinite loop, I dread the infinite category (when you go from Category A back to Category A without finding anything). very frustrating...
    Oh the *search* results are pretty useless - they really only point you towards the right category.

The real beauty of the ODP is the way it categorises things, and you're right about research. For example, take this random category - if you work in that line of business, then this sort of thing is hugely valuable.

I don't know how many of you use the Wikipedia, but the ODP is a similar sort of thing. Sometimes you need the information presented differently. It's true that the ODP is much better for reference sites than commercial ones, but then Google is good for commercial sites so the two things complement each other.

I don't think it's dead. But I do think an overwhelming majority of its visitors are Webmasters rather than average users.

P.S. I just played around with the tool suggested by UKJ at:
    http://www.webmasterscavern.com/tool...ffic/index.php

Tested it for 6 of my sites.... amazing it was pretty darn close (about 1000-2000 off on my biggest site and about 10-30 off on my smallest site)

Kudos to DMOZ for killing that auction, if in fact they did. For as many complaints that we can make about them, there's no arguing that they had/have a ton of potential if they run it properly.

But when discussing running it properly, any time you have humans editting anything (see Wikipedia and The Federal Government), you run the risk of it being tainted by bias and personal agenda.

What might make an interesting Directory is one that is powered by visitor data, if done correctly. An example:

Code is programmed into sites that track Unique IP's and length of visit, then that data is somehow leveraged against inbound link data from major search engines, and the results per category are shown in directory format.

Would something like that even be possible?

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread