Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    ABW and N*rton :(
    Viewing ABW with Norton Internet Security running. I felt soooooo much more secure.

Notice it even whacks the "Affiliate Marketing Forum" graphic.

Attached Images Attached Images

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They are so stupid and features like these SCREAM at users that Norton stinks. And this kind of junk software just makes users go modify their settings within Norton.

Maybe. But most computer users are pretty clueless. And I have to say that the settings within N*rton's aren't very intuitive at all. And this part of N*rton's is all wrapped up in the "Privacy" part of the software and area that many users are very concerned about these days.

I've not seen any research that outlines what users are or aren't doing with regards to the ad blocking parts of software such as N*rton's, ZA, McAfee and others.

I saw it blocking entire script calls on some affiliate's sites.

was that a default setting install of a very recent version? thought they'd eased up on that.

I used to use Norton too until I learned what they were doing with affiliate links. I wouldn't have a problem is that was an option that the user had to turn on but to have it on by default just pissed me off. They were blocking dynamic banners, like STP, and I couldn't see them on the page. Turn off the firewall and reload and they appear. So, I switched to McAfee and so far is doing ok. I can see all my banners and links work as expected. My daughter somehow got a couple nasties through on my laptop, go figure, but overall it performed well. She's great about that, which is why she can't use my business PC at all LOL
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

It was default for me. Free trial download the other day. Some stuff did look better. It seems more of a change in their blocking rules? Although that list is rather long. Also many affs are now coding their sites to protect against the blocking. They also have a section of url's that contain exceptions to their default blocking rules. It would appear that some have been able to make their displeasure of N*rton's on their web sites known.

I have seen some blocking with McAfee but not as much as with N*rtons.

I used to have Norton. It slows down your computer BIG TIME! Delays when sending E-mail if you have that enabled are seemingly endless. That's what I tell people when they ask about anti-virus programs.

Norton is the worst. I couldn't believe how much better my computer ran without it!

Wonder what Norton's market share is?

Andy

Norton is the worst. I couldn't believe how much better my computer ran without it!
    Yep I second That...

Best just to get more people to use Mac. No need for Norton, so no ad blocking. No need for IE, so nothing will get in. It's a solid OS.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Had the same problem when i used Norton with both my PC and laptop...Slowed them both down to a crawl...

There are much better solutions out there. Affiliate friendly ones too...
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Quote Originally Posted by James - AMWSO
    Had the same problem when i used Norton with both my PC and laptop...Slowed them both down to a crawl...

There are much better solutions out there. Affiliate friendly ones too...
    I agree. I'm assuming Nortons 'popularity' is due to the fact that it's still bundled with big-box retailers PC software.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just tell them to download the free AVG anti virus program with the Zonealarm firwall package. Works fine and it's an actual valueable freebie..
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Best just to get more people to use Mac. No need for Norton, so no ad blocking. No need for IE, so nothing will get in. It's a solid OS.
    Amen to that. OS 9 may have had its issues, but the UNIX beneath OS X is rock solid, and the Aqua on top is a kick to use.

Given that most of what are called in the lay press "computer viruses" are actually Microsoft-specific viruses, I don't use my three Windows computers for much more than development and testing; all mission-critical work is done on more inherently secure systems: Linux and OS X.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Well, you should feel more secure.

Blocking advertisements is probably the most effective way I can think of to prevent issues with computing in today's environment. I can't tell you how many times I've had to remove viruses, malware, crapware, and similar ilk that were loaded on from an annoying ad. Now, every time I troubleshoot a home PC, I always urge the user to use my ad-blocking solution, and I've never had one person turn me down, or say that they were disappointed with it.

Because marketers and adverspammers seem to think that it's their duty and obligation to find new and improved ways to annoy people, I'd say that blocking ads is a great feature, but not well implemented in Norton.

I use Sunbelt's Counterspy package with their popup blocker. With the Google bar, zonealarm and the AVG anti-virus package my Win98 system is just about spyware/adware proof till I go troll those drive-by sites. The active-X prompts amazingly show on all those "Your system is Infected" adverts disguised as a windows security message.

Your correct that the Adwhore mindset has made everyone suspicious of getting duped by the advertising tricksters.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

You're quite right. What a catchy term -"Adwhore"!

People who litter their pages with advertising are just going to make users irate. Many folks don't realize that there are good anti-ad solutions out there - most only realize that they can block popups.

As flash, script, and banner blockers have started to become a little more mainstream, I've heard a lot of complaints from the advertising industry. It seems to me that they bring it upon themselves, so I have no pity on 'em

Until I start seeing some major reform in the ad industry, I'm going to continue recommending that people block all advertisements on the web - if one thing will send a clear message, I'd think that people blocking ad-servers at the source would be it!

Now that a little too draconian Hogenishy. After all some here live up to the network promise that targeted affiliate pre-sell spin is better then conventional Ad traffic. Some playas in the affiliate ranks are nothing but cookie setting shortcut artists.

[B]Norton came with my new computer,I had to reset the controls,turn off parent's, and privacy, it wouldn't even let me read my email,I thoght google was bad.Things like wines,beer,underwear,all sold in stores,but not if Norton was a mgr.
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

I got rid of Norton after using it for a year. Switched to ZA with Antivirus.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread