Smile Will pay someone to set up XML feed on site
    Hi there!

It's been while since I've dropped in here... hope everyone is doing well!

One of my merchants now offers an XML or CSV feed of all products.

Until now I've always just hand coded html sites with some of the products.

I'm interested in paying someone to help me make a template that incorporates the merchants XML feed.

Anyone available for this?

It is an adult toy merchant in case that makes a difference in your decision.

Thanks and hope all is well!

Paula S

Paula,

I don't think I ever met you around here. So, how do you do?

PM me and I might be able to get my coders to work something out for you.

Geno

hi paula, email me on opportunityis@gmail.com , i have done this before for another client of mine..

Paula, you're definitely getting a good response here. Check your PM inbox.

Geno

I've done this before (and currently) both as a static page generator (Perl and TT2) and on the fly (Perl/TT2 or PHP/Smarty). I don't think I have PM privs here so email abw@dyn.ertw.com if you want to talk.

Sean

Thumbs up
    Thanks you three!

I PMed or emailed each of you with more information on the project.

I'm looking foward to hearing back from you and getting started as soon as possible.

Thank you!
    Paula S

Paula, my coders are asking me for the XML feed. Where do I get one? Send me a link to it...

Geno

XML Website
    I can do this for you.

Here is a example of a hotel reservation website I did using a affiliate xml data feed www.nchotel.net

contact me @ tommy@scriptfeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeanW
    I've done this before (and currently) both as a static page generator (Perl and TT2) and on the fly (Perl/TT2 or PHP/Smarty). I don't think I have PM privs here so email abw@dyn.ertw.com if you want to talk.

Sean
    Hey...what's TT2?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Ninja
    Hey...what's TT2?
    Template Toolkit 2 - http://template-toolkit.org/

Really slick templating system, either for real time or generation of static pages.

Sean

Hey thanks...I've heard about it but always have been too lazy to read the docs...looking it over I should probably invest a little time and save myself the headache of stuffing all the html into modules:

Programmer-centric back end, allowing application logic and data structures to be built in Perl.
    Designer-centric front end, hiding underlying complexity behind simple variable access.
    Sounds sweet

I don't know php one bit...any advantages of PHP/Smarty over Perl?

I don't know php one bit...any advantages of PHP/Smarty over Perl?
    Portability, mostly.

I started off writing everything in TT2 and Perl, either as a mod_perl handler for dynamic stuff or various ways to generate a static site from a data source. It worked fine when it was on a box that I had full root access to, but once I looked at hosting it elsewhere it limited my options since more people offer PHP than mod_perl hosting (not to mention cost)

Smarty enforces the separation between code and display, much like HTML::Template, by limiting what you can do in the template. TT2, by contrast, lets you do database queries in the template which is nice, but then removes some of the benefits of the separation.

I strongly recommend templates whichever language you use, since it really makes your site more maintainable.

Sean

hey Sean, thanks for the reply. OK...so I am kind of 50-50 on using Template-Toolkit.

If I got a hammer and it works, I'm going to use it and its pretty simple to separate out html from the rest of the code...just make it a subroutine or module:

Code:
    my $html = get_html();
    $html =~ s/%%data%%/get_data($a, $b)/e;
    print $html;

sub get_data {
        # fun stuff here
    }

sub get_html {
    return q{<html>
    <br>
    <center>
    <table>
      <tr>
        <td>
          %%data%%
        </td>
      </tr>
    </table>
    </center>}
    }
    or maybe I am missing the point?
    Last edited by Spider Ninja; October 29th, 2005 at 01:47 AM.

ahh...also, regarding portability, most every host offers perl and a cgi-bin, so I am assuming you mean that you would rather program in php than having mod_perl?

or maybe I am missing the point?
    Ick. An unanchored regexp on a huge document. So much for performance, eh?

On the Perl forums at WebmasterWorld I was talking with someone who had something similar, except that he was repeating this process several times and it was taking upwards of 15 seconds to render a page. I sugested he try a parser (ie run over each element in a linear fashion and process using HTML::PullParser or something), he got the render time down to .3 sec.

Within a template, you can do loops and such, so think of it this way (pseudocode, language doesn't matter)

Code:
    results = query("SELECT name, phone FROM contacts");
    while ($row = results.getrow) {
      push people, row;  # people is an array of name,phone
    }
    export_to_template(people); # make the array available to the template
    display_template("contactlist"); # This is dynamic, whatever template you want
    Then, in the template

Code:
    %% FOREACH people AS p %% 
    <tr><td>%% p.name %%</td><td> %% p.phone %%</td></tr>
    %% /FOREACH %%
    Which is cleaner? Which gives more flexibility within the HTML to integrate the data?

Sean

ahh...also, regarding portability, most every host offers perl and a cgi-bin, so I am assuming you mean that you would rather program in php than having mod_perl?
    cgi-bin != mod_perl.

In mod_perl, your program is resident within the webserver itself, precompiled, ready for action. CGI is executed per shot, and has to be compiled each time. There's nothing stopping me from using TT2 and CGI, for some reason I'd just rather not.

All things considered, I'd rather use Perl than PHP. I've just found that Smarty makes things really easy to manage, and since I know I can use it on any web host, I do a lot of my web stuff that way.

Sean

cgi-bin != mod_perl.
    right, of course...hosts can't really give you mod_perl on a virtual account. so you only get cgi_bin + perl.

now I should check, but I am thinking php when offered by the host is complied into apache.

Ick. An unanchored regexp on a huge document. So much for performance, eh?
    haha...sorry to upset you! ;-)

what do you mean by unanchored? that I didn't use the /o switch?

Well...my experience is really just with Amazon web services when it comes to database sites...so the XML feed is not so large...ten results per call.

For a parser, I was using XML::Simple.

The template is much cleaner...that's the problem you always run into coding CGI stuff. At first you separate html and code just fine...then you want to add one function, then another and all of the sudden everything jumps out of control and you need to spend the next day making it simple again ;-)

now I should check, but I am thinking php when offered by the host is complied into apache.
    Yes, it had better be! However the script is still compiled at runtime, which is where mmcache comes into play. Smarty also precompiles the templates into PHP code, so the combination of smarty caching and mmcache opcode caching makes it quite fast.

Sean

haha...sorry to upset you! ;-)

what do you mean by unanchored? that I didn't use the /o switch?

Well...my experience is really just with Amazon web services when it comes to database sites...so the XML feed is not so large...ten results per call.

For a parser, I was using XML::Simple.
    Unanchored means you're not using ^ or $ to "anchor" the search at the beginning or end of the document. On large documents and repetitive searches it chews the cpu. 1 or 2 won't kill you, but if you get into things like

Code:
    while ($document =~ s/%%blah%%/myfunc()/e)
       ;
    you should really consider refactoring!

On the AWS front, I use Perl, WWW::Mechanize, and XML::Simple to dump the AWS data into a SQL database, and then Smarty templates for the site.

Sean

Sorry bro, I am late in replying.

WWW::Mech is OK but I kind of like to drop down to LWP or IO::Socket...cool concept though...wish they would add a javascript engine...but that's more a scraper issue.

XML::Simple is great...can you believe I used to parse that stuff with regex's? Not any more ;-)

Why are you throwing the AWS XML into MySQL? Are you cacheing it?

OK...nice tip on the anchoring...thanks ;-)

WWW::Mech is OK but I kind of like to drop down to LWP or IO::Socket...
    Mech subclasses LWP, so whatever you can do in LWP, you can do in mech. As for IO::Socket, well, I'm too lazy for that.

XML::Simple is great...can you believe I used to parse that stuff with regex's? Not any more ;-)
    That's how I used to do HTML until I read LWP & Perl. I can't believe I got anything done back then.

Why are you throwing the AWS XML into MySQL? Are you cacheing it?
    Yes. This way I have control over everything from page naming to how I display the reviews. Plus I don't see why I'd want to make the user wait any longer than necessary.

Sean

Very true about Amazon Web Services...the response is noticeable. Not so bad when you use a more specific response group instead of large or medium...something like:

ResponseGroup=Small,Images,EditorialReview

helps a lot...the larger the response group, the more you hear their database back-end creaking ;-)

Mech is great...I really enjoy it. I think the last time I had to drop down was to understand how cookies were being exchanged....so that was more me trying to understand the different subclasses than Mech.

Haha...I've read through LWP & Perl and still don't understand how I get anything done...it is a constant battle between inspiration, adding options, keeping it simple and knowing wtf you are doing :-p

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread