Self Destruct Your Laptop!
    Absolute Software has simply purchased rights to use the LoJack brand name when selling its Computrace Personal services. That service, which sells for $49 per year, requires a stolen laptop to be turned on and connected to the Internet before it can be identified. Once that occurs, the system offers up the unit’s IP address or dial-up phone number. Absolute can then attempt to locate it and can trigger a self-destruct feature that wipes the disk clean.
    http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/467
    LoJack for Laptops.

What a great idea. Another example of a basic idea that can become a homerun. (The logistics may be another story though!)

Streaatz

I'd rather have them encode everything instead of destroy it. There just might be something on it that I wanted. And I might get it back.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I bought one of the first cars to have LoJack installed on it. I have no idea where the device is hidden. This was a truly great idea, and I'm glad to see that it continues to evolve.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by missdonna
    I'd rather have them encode everything instead of destroy it. There just might be something on it that I wanted. And I might get it back.
    Backup, backup, backup....

Streaatz

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I bought one of the first cars to have LoJack installed on it. I have no idea where the device is hidden. This was a truly great idea, and I'm glad to see that it continues to evolve.

Andy
    I hope your car did not self-destruct :P

What about a Windows login password and a bios password? Is'nt secure enough anymore?
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

Quote Originally Posted by sendmemybill

What about a Windows login password and a bios password? Is'nt secure enough anymore?
    Scary that would be.

but yeah, this self destructive idea would be good for government laptops and the likes with sensitive information.

Sounds like a step in the right direction. I don't think wiping the HD is the answer though. HDs can be rebuilt. My laptop has a security system that uses a BIOS password. When set, the computer can't be booted. The BIOS can't be accessed without the password either. This doesn't get your computer back but will make your laptop worthless to all but maybe the super geek who may be able to reset the BIOS somehow.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sendmemybill

CMOS battery removal + MB system Bios reset jumper shoots that security feature. Most then reinstall the OS on a clean HD format and fence it so erasing the HD isn't a problem. Now frying the CPU would be effective, but the GPS/loJack combo makes recovery possible.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    CMOS battery removal + MB system Bios reset jumper shoots that security feature. Most then reinstall the OS on a clean HD format and fence it so erasing the HD isn't a problem. Now frying the CPU would be effective, but the GPS/loJack combo makes recovery possible.
    Yeah, you can do this with desktop computers but from what I've read Laptop BIOS passwords cannot be bypassed or reset by removing or shorting the CMOS battery. Further, doing this may cause other system errors and complicate the recovery of your system. If anyone has reset their laptop by removing the CMOS battery I'd like to hear about it.

Edited to add: Laptop passwords are not stored on ROM chips so removing the battery will not reset the CMOS.
    Last edited by Travelin Man; October 19th, 2005 at 01:23 PM.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Seems like they're just doing the theif a service. Now they don't have to worry about formatting the drive. They can just reinstall the OS from scratch and they've got a brand new laptop with a fresh install. At least this can prevent the theif from viewing any critical documents.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread