WM-Records "cols" feature overrides my settings
    Is there a way to control the attributes of the WebMerge automatically-created columns?

Problem:
    When using the "cols" feature in the WM-Records tag, a valign="top" tag is always generated. In addition, I haven't found a way to add other tags to control the table or cell attributes.

My immediate problem is that I can't generate a multi-column table with the cell attributes I need. For example, I want the individual cells to be aligned center and vertically aligned bottom.

Is there a way to control the tags used for the automatic columns? I'm looking for workarounds for a current project I need to finish.

Longer-term solution?
    Would there be a way to pass table/cell attributes into the automatic column code?

My initial idea for syntax is to allow the user to add any valid cell tags along with the "cols" and "width" tags you already support. If no other tags are found, use your current code (or consider removing the valign tag you add currently). Examples:
    [WM-Record cols=2 width=500 bgcolor="gray"]
    [WM-Record cols=2 width=500 align="center" valign="bottom"]

I haven't thought much about how to distinguish between cell attributes and table attributes.

Thanks in advance.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for posting. I'm interested in allowing table attributes to be passed in as you describe, but it raises a question: Should we also allow cell attributes to be passed? and if so, how should we differentiate between the two?

This is very much on my radar, and I appreciate your posting that. Looking forward to some guidance from our users here.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

RE: "Should we also allow cell attributes to be passed? and if so, how should we differentiate between the two?"

Yes, definitely allow cell attributes to be passed. I'll toss this out for a syntax option:

[WM-Record table{cols=2 width=500 bgcolor="gray"}; cells{align=center valign=bottom}]

or

[WM-Record table{cols=2 width=500 class="tableformat"}; cells{class="cellformat"}]
    Last edited by abbopeters; October 19th, 2005 at 01:55 PM.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The workaround - though inconvenient - is not hard at all

Assuming you're talking about the category/subcat pages (not the product detail page)

I move them all into a temp directory

do a big search and replace

then move the "fixed" pages back to the real directory

I was always wondering what prevented Richard from allowing full table & cell attributes to be passed - this is an absolute necessity. "nasty" work-arounds are possible, but if there is no scripting limitation preventing this, full table / cell attributes must be made available, as a priority.

heisje

Affiliate Manager
    Same as I mentioned above: we should allow both cell and table attributes, and ideally the syntax for doing so should be simple. The proposed example above isn't bad, but I can't help but wonder if we can make it simpler....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

css may provide the design attributes, as mentioned before, for simplicity - if there is provision both in the table & cell WM tags for the "class" attribute.

but is the use of css universal, or should it be made compulsory when using WM?

maybe if one would need to use the full capabilities of WM tables they would also need to use css, but for more simple applications that would not be necessary, as is the case now. after all, WM is supposed to be a professional tool and some elementary competences should be expected.

heisje

My intent of including two examples (one with css, the other without) was to illustrate the flexibility of the desired solution. I'd propose supporting either syntax option, rather than limiting it to one or the other.

I understand striving for the simplest solution possible. I thought my proposed examples were simple in that they match normal HTML tag use. I'm open to other ideas as long as they follow reasonable conventions and provide the desired capabilities.

Anyone else have some ideas?

I'm open to other ideas as long as they follow reasonable conventions
    hello, seems somebody else has worn Richard's hat here.
    good! maybe this way we shall really get something done . . .

heisje

Wink
    Now, I didn't have any problems keeping my table looking the way I wanted it to look. Put the WM Record tag after the table attributes tags and the ending WM Record tag right before the ending TD tag. Here's how mine looks:

<table border="3" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5" bordercolor="#FFFFFC" bordercolorlight="#FFFFFF" bordercolordark="#D3CFCF" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <tr>
    <td align="center" valign="bottom">
    [WM-Record cols=2]<center><br>
    [WM-ImagePath: Small_Image_URL noLink]<br>
    <a href="[WM-Field: Product_URL]">[WM-Field: Product_Name]</a><br>
    [WM-Field: Brand]<br>
    [WM-Field: Description][/WM-Record] </center></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread