Question Merchandiser FTP Trouble
    I signed up for Merchandiser through linkshare about a week ago. They responded and said I could access the FTP and some feeds were ready.

Whenever I try to connect, before I even get prompted for anything, it closes the connection.

I get "Connection closed by remote host". Anyone have this trouble before, or have an idea of what is going on?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If memory serves, you should email kalia and make sure she has your correct IP address - you can only ftp from the computer you have registered with linkshare.

The problem is serious and LinkShare support team simply promises to take a look at the problem and never responds with a solution or suggestion. The only way I found to download is through CuteFTP v4.2. The newer CuteFTP Pro v7.1 also closes the connection. I upgraded to newer CuteFTP hoping to use it's site-to-site file transfer feature. Unfortunately, I can't even download.

This has been an issue for quite some time. I could no longer use CuteFTP, it just kept disconnecting. What I had to do was create a little batch file that downloads the files. You must use login with a command prompt, switch to binary mode and use the "get" command to grab each file. Almost always, when I first double click the .bat file it opens and closes without getting a file so I have to relaunch it a few times to get all the files. Sometimes, usually, it won't get all the files so I have to see which ones it got, remove those from the list and do it again. It's a pain and not a good system but it works.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Internet Cowboy
    Will LS push a datafeed file to your server?

No, they won't push it to your server, but I sure wish the did. I love it that CJ sends all of mine in one file each night and I have cron jobs pick it apart and load it every night.

Contact Kalia. She is one of the best support folks working at LS and has always been great to work with.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Thanks for the responses... Waiting to hear back from Kalia, so I'll give it a couple days.

Greg- At command prompt, I can't even get to the point of switching to binary mode... The follow sequence occurs
    ftp> open aftp.linksynergy.com (I hit enter)
    connected to gcds0013.linkynergy.com.
    Connected closed by remote host.

There is no point where I can do anything. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I am remote desktoped into the computer?

By the way, it took me weeks to figure out how to do it the first time I every tried. The instructions from LS, at lease a couple years ago, assumed I knew what I was doing and I did not. It was very frustrating and required lots of posts here to get help (which was most appreciated).

Keep at it. You'll get it eventually.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I am remote desktoped into the computer?
    Exactly! kalia needs the IP address of every computer you use

Yes, but I am ftping from the Remote computer (which she has the IP address to)... It should appear as if it is coming from that computer, no?

Quote Originally Posted by offerfind
    Thanks for the responses... Waiting to hear back from Kalia, so I'll give it a couple days.

Greg- At command prompt, I can't even get to the point of switching to binary mode... The follow sequence occurs
    ftp> open aftp.linksynergy.com (I hit enter)
    connected to gcds0013.linkynergy.com.
    Connected closed by remote host.

There is no point where I can do anything. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I am remote desktoped into the computer?
    This is why I use the batch file, this way you can just double click it to try again. I have a batch file that starts the ftp process and references a text file for the file names. Here is what I use:

Batch file called "download-linkshare.bat"
    echo Start of download
    ftp -i -s:download.txt aftp.linksynergy.com
    echo Done downloading

And the text file with the filenames is called "download.txt" List all the file names for your datafeeds.

Username
    Password
    binary

get xxxx_xxxxxx_mp.txt.gz
    get xxxx_xxxxxx_mp.txt.gz

quit

Sometimes the command window just opens and closes so I double click it again. It sometimes takes 3 or 4 attempts like this until it starts to download any files and even then it rarely gets all files the first time. So, I remove the filenames from the download.txt file if they were downloaded successfully and activate the batch file again until all files are downloaded.

Hope this helps.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    You guys beat me to it but in the future, you can send all Merchandiser related support requests to merchandiser-a (at) linkshare.com.

Kelli

Greg-

Did exactly what you said. Still closes my connection before anything occurs. I think there is some other problem. I'll just wait a bit and see if I get a response from LinkShare.

Kelli- if you could check to make sure they are looking into the problem that would be good too...

Weird, did you try it multiple times in rapid succession? The other issue could be the IP address and making sure LS has the correct one.

Yeah, tried a bunch of times in a row, quickly. I'm pretty sure it is different than your error! Yeah, I will try to discuss with LS to ensure they have my correct IP.

Also... and I forgot why...

My Linkshare login and password is totally different from the FTP user name and password

Good to double check

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread