Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unhappy Invalid/Unknown E-mail Addresses
    What do you do when you e-mail out your affiliate newsletter and close to 5% of our affiliates turn out to have either invalid, or unknown e-mail addresses?! The mail just bounces back...

And we wonder why some of them are inactive... How could they be active when they don't even know their e-mail address (or don't care updating it at SaS)?!

Geno

Another one bounced off...

However, some affiliates have already started replying. That's good. We should always encourage and REWARD active affiliates!

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Geno, this is the bane of all newsletter publishers. You'd think affiliates would have a consistent email address but guess not.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Outsourced Program Manager
    Ok, I will go out on a limb here.

This happens to me in about 1-2% of my affiliates as well. After 2 times of bounced email's I go to their site and look for an email address and if I find one I write them and tell them that SAS's newletters are bouncing. in about 40% of the time that also bounces .

If the affiliate is inactive I just forget about them.

If they are active I look thru Alexa and Who is and try and contact them and ask them to edit their email address.

It is the affiliates reponsiblity after that, I feel I have done all that I can and it is up the affiliate to give me a valid email adress.

One of the problems I see is many email's bounce because their mail box is full!!! What kind of affiliate interested in making money does not clear his mail box?
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Geno:

When I saw this post I left and checked my SAS account information because I didn't get a newsletter from you any time recently. My address is correct, I'm getting other mail through it today, and the box for subscribe/unsubscribe is marked subscribe.

What else could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    This happens to me in about 1-2% of my affiliates as well. After 2 times of bounced email's I go to their site and look for an email address and if I find one I write them and tell them that SAS's newletters are bouncing. in about 40% of the time that also bounces.
    Good strategy, Richard! Translates into some good results (from what I read above) too... 1-2% minus the 60% (out of this number) = only about 0.4-0.8% of your affiliates keep having this problem after you've done your work. Thanks for the hint!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    One of the problems I see is many email's bounce because their mail box is full!!! What kind of affiliate interested in making money does not clear his mail box?
    No. None of mine (those whose mail bounced off) have their boxes full. They just don't have an inbox. ...or should I be:

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    When I saw this post I left and checked my SAS account information because I didn't get a newsletter from you any time recently. My address is correct, I'm getting other mail through it today, and the box for subscribe/unsubscribe is marked subscribe.

What else could it be?
    Weird, weird, Judy... E-mail me and I'll forward you the yesterday's newsletter!

Contact SaS about the problem you've decribed above. Have them do some testing (sending mail to your e-mail address on file). Or are you getting mail from them? It is just my e-mails (sent through SaS) that don't come to you, or you are not receiving anything from them?

Geno

My guess is that they may not want merchants e-mailing them news letters.

The ones with full boxes proably have a special e-mail just for merchants which they NEVER check.

When affiliates have 600 or so merchants and they are ALL sending newsletters, who do you think reads them, anyway?

If they have your links up, be happy.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    When affiliates have 600 or so merchants and they are ALL sending newsletters, who do you think reads them, anyway?
    Hmmmm. Interesting approach. Is this an advice from a "Veteran" on how to succeed as an affiliate, Sandra?

Geno

Not sure what you mean by that but you can be sure that I don't open most of the merchant e-mail. Good grief, if I did, when would I make pages or have a life?

Sure, some people are interested in specials and deals which means updating and changing their pages every other day.

Others offer a broad variety of products and are just interested in putting up your links and then going on to the next merchant or the next site. They don't run specials and deals. They have no real interest in any particular merchant or product. As long as something sales, they couldn't care less which merchant or product it was as long as they get paid. They simply want stable products, stable links and stable images which do not go out of date.

Those are probably the ones that give a fake or useless e-mail. That was the question, right?
    Last edited by SSanf; October 20th, 2005 at 07:47 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Not sure what you mean by that but you can be sure that I don't open most of the merchant e-mail.
    How do you know which ones to open and which ones not to open? I mean, how do you know that a message that came from a merchant doesn't contain a special, or a bonus offer if you don't open it and look through it? The "making of pages" could be more interesting for your customers when you are up-to-date on deals and specials, and more interesting and profitable for you when you're up-to-date on the bonuses you get from a particular merchant.

Geno

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for the bouncing emails, I get lots of those too. I had figured they just changed their email box and didn't tell SAS about it...

The weirdest ones I get are the ones that say there was some kind of misconfiguration of the recipient's server. It always makes me wonder what else is wrong with their server!

From an affiliate's perspective, I agree with Ssanf about not reading a lot of the incoming mail...I don't read most of the newsletters. It's to avoid wasting time. Most merchants don't have worthwhile info in their emails (they just send stuff basically to remind people they exist...) I usually check the first few newsletters that a merchant sends, but if I see that they email "just for the sake of emailing," then I stop bothering with their mails. I haven't gone so far as to open a special "never-looked-at" email address, though!

However, some affiliates have already started replying. That's good.
    ???
    They did? It didn't say I'd have to specifically "opt in" to that particular offer, and the message is clear...so I saw no need to reply
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

As I said, many, many sites NEVER offer specials and deals.

There are lots and lots of sites other than coupons and special deal sites out there.

Coupon sites aren't the only game in town.

If I were starting from scratch and since content is all the new rage, I would be looking at all that interesting stuff you post about Russia on ABW more than at any deals you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    From an affiliate's perspective, I agree with Ssanf about not reading a lot of the incoming mail...I don't read most of the newsletters. It's to avoid wasting time. Most merchants don't have worthwhile info in their emails...
    What if they change into good merchants (putting a lot of time and thought into their e-mails and affiliate marketing endeavors) with time? How will you know?!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    They did? It didn't say I'd have to specifically "opt in" to that particular offer, and the message is clear...so I saw no need to reply
    No need for those already doing their "affiliate thing". I got responses from those that haven't done a thing so far... So that is good!

Have a great one, everyone!

Geno

As I said, many, many sites NEVER offer specials and deals.
    ...If I were starting from scratch and since content is all the new rage, I would be looking at all that interesting stuff you post about Russia on ABW more than at any deals you have.
    I hear you, Sandra.

Geno

I guess, if I were a merchant, I would send e-mails conatining interesting info. such as jokes, recipes etc. relevant to the product, now. It is stupid but may be useful to help sites get into the SEs.

I would clearly state "New content and specials for your site" in the e-mail heading.

Then be sure it IS new!

In that case, if it had some content, I might not open the e-mail right away but collect the e-mails and later go back and check over the emassed content to see what I could do with it either during an update or when building a new site.

I guess, if I were a merchant, I would send e-mails conatining interesting info. such as jokes, recipes etc. relevant to the product, now. It is stupid but may be useful to help sites get into the SEs.
    Very-very interesting, Sandra. Thank you for the idea!!

Geno

I have to agree with what Sandra says. Now I love the fact that Geno works so hard to make sure we have what we need and we know what the store is doing, etc.

But the truth is that we all have a thousand things on our to-do list at all times and we feel guilty enough about the time we spend cruising email to see what's interesting enough to open or save - the rest gets deleted so we have some feeling of accomplishment for that time spent.

It takes awhile in the beginning of any merchant-affiliate relationship to figure out which merchants have something to offer and which ones are just "there". As soon as I figure out which ones have their "stuff" together, then those are the ones that get opened or saved for later. If I need a timely offer, I go looking for it - or I pay attention to the cycle of when stuff generally gets updated or sent out and watch for it.

With Russian Legacy, Geno - I know that if I want to know what's going on, I only need to plug in here for a minute and find out. I actually do that about once a day just to see - so if your headlines indicate a deal or a new product I stop and look. The rest gets read when I'm avoiding some other work.

Didn't mean to go on and on. I just don't get out much

I've had merchants contact me telling me my emails were bouncing and my email address has always been correct in all places I'm affiliated with. So its not necessarily a bad email address. This has happened with Befree & Shareasale merchants and possibly even the other places but haven't been contacted by any other place. I never did figure out why this was happening either.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I guess I must be in the minority...I don't mind the merchant messages. I'm often extremely busy, but I do take the time to at least scan the first paragraph and dump the message to either a "to do" or a "read when you're really really bored" folder.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Geno, it's normal, if you want to call it that. All programs I've managed so far have about 1% invalid, etc.

Going through the hoops you mentioned is great and I have done once too. But like SSanf says, some want it that way, some don't care, some will blame you if you harrass them too much, etc.

Just keep on sending.

Do you use the option in the affiliate newsletter that says if you want your newsletter to be viewable or not? I always say yes, eventually some might read it there if they wonder why they have not received any or when they have time, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    Geno, it's normal, if you want to call it that. All programs I've managed so far have about 1% invalid, etc.
    1%?! You're lucky, Jorge! 4.6% (to be exact) is the number for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    Do you use the option in the affiliate newsletter that says if you want your newsletter to be viewable or not? I always say yes...
    That's what I do. However, my concern is not so much about them not getting the newsletters. No, Jorge! My concern is about some affiliates being so passive that their e-mail addresses are not even in place...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    With Russian Legacy, Geno - I know that if I want to know what's going on, I only need to plug in here for a minute and find out....
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... That's how good we are, Judy. Loving our affiliates deep down in our heart so much that we're doing this...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    My concern is about some affiliates being so passive that their e-mail addresses are not even in place...
    Well, as I said, it may NOT be passive. It may be deliberate.

Cool
    I'd rather get emails from merchants where:

urls are changing and corrections must be made on sites

tracking is a problem but there is a timetable for the fix

a new tool has been developed for my benefit and this is the first announcement

and like that . . . but the "weekly deal" doesn't mean much to me after I've seen several of them.

I will look at new coupon offerings but I can't react to all of them, especially those that change every few weeks. I want to put up pages that maintain themselves.

BUT I do note that certain merchants have sent me something, and I realize I haven't gotten around to checking/changing their links and their email does remind me that I'm in their program.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast