Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs up HillBilly Affiliate...?
    I Am Going To Be A HillBilly!
    I will be moving to Arkansas from Alaska on SUNDAY (Oct. 22nd) Driving down (6,000 miles) just me and my DOG..

I have lived in Alaska for 30 years and haven't seen a lot of the USA.. So I will be setting up my BASE CAMP in Arkansas close to FAMILY.. so I can hopefully get around to meeting some of you people and going to seminars and stuff..

It is kind of hard to do THAT from ALASKA...

I'll miss the Snowboarding but am really looking forward to learning how to Water Ski... (the water is WAY to cold in Alaska without a wetsuit)

I should be back online at the new BASE CAMP by November 1st..
    (Not that anybody really cares just an FYI)

Wish Me Luck!!

It will be wierd being closer than 6000 miles to my nearest relative..

( I reckon I better start a lernin some of that thar "HillBilly Talkin" from SSANF )

And then ....
    You can work on being a redneck
    Best of luck with the move. Light hasn't been green for a bit but spending more time lurking than most logged in.
    There's lots to be consumed here ... much more than the CJ issue that brought me in.
    Thanks to all for the insight!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Talk about cultural shock.

But seriously you should enjoy Arkansas if you like the outdoors. I lived there one summer and scenery is beautiful. They have some really nice state parks also. Don't forget to check out the hiking, mountains, white water rafting, boating, caves and hot springs. IOW, don't limit yourself to just water skiing.

Internet Cowboy
    That is a looooooooong drive. Be careful and enjoy it. Parts of Arkansas are absolutely beautiful.

Be sure to shower in bug spray. All I remember about Arkansas is bird sized grasshoppers or something filled with think green bug juice splattering so hard on my windshield I had to get out every five miles and wash it so I could see the road driving! Then they landed in my HAIR while I was trying to clean the car and I had to untangle them and throw them away from me! EEK! Hopefully that was just something unfortunate and the whole state is not like that! ha ha!

All I keep seeing in my minds' eye is a picture is a snowman with a plaid shirt infront of a pick up truck LMAO!

Safe Trip AddHandler.

(before I get any hate mail Michelle is from Gerogia so when I say redneck I mean it lovingly ... LOL, that's my story and I'm sticking to it )
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; October 20th, 2005 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Staying safe
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I hope you like catfish! Good bass and striped bass too. Probably doesn't compare to what you had in Alaska but way better than fishing my way. Lot's of humidity Will you be in NW Arkansas? That is beautiful country - we have family there and visited a few times. Almost considered moving down that way.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

All I can say is WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? Why would you do that to your self....

Why would you want to move from the serenity to the insanity???

Calling the move culture shock is being polite...

it's your live enjoy....

I wouldnt be throwing the map away anytime soon... you'll be needin it...

there is one positive thing... you'll finally be able to thaw out... not much cold in Arkanas..

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    All I keep seeing in my minds' eye is a picture is a snowman with a plaid shirt infront of a pick up truck LMAO!

Safe Trip AddHandler.

(before I get any hate mail Michelle is from Gerogia so when I say redneck I mean it lovingly ... LOL, that's my story and I'm sticking to it )

Lol, last year, the boys and I made a snowman, gave him arms, a cowboy hat, stuck a spatula in one hand, and dragged the grill over in front of him, like he was grilling out. No truck, though. If you want to be a redneck, you can be a redneck in Indiana, too!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Kellie - "But seriously you should enjoy Arkansas if you like the outdoors."
    Love the outdoors.. but last time I was there the outdoors wasn't what I am used to.. when you go camping in Alaska.. your out in the middle of no where.. it is like heaven.. no one around for miles and you either have to walk, float, fly, or bike in.. BUT in Arkansas going camping means loading up the truck with everything including the TV - going to the lake - trying to find a spot - and sleeping ten feet away from 100 other people who wanted to get away that weekend.. LOL..
    Beauty??.. nothing can compare to Alaska..

UncleScooter - "That is a looooooooong drive."
    Naaaah.. it's not that bad.. it only takes about five days.. a couple of years ago I drove for over two weeks straight - 16,000 miles.. Alaska - San Diego - Vegas - Grand Canyon - and back to Alaska... It was a blast..

Anne - "Be sure to shower in bug spray."
    That is the only thing I am NOT looking forward to.. we don't have anything but misquito's up here.. down there.. ticks, chiggers, SNAKES.. we don't have snakes up here either.. LOL they would need FUR..

Haiko - "snowman with a plaid shirt infront of a pick up truck"
    My friends want me to send them a picture of me wearing a barrel.. like in the cartoons.. LOL.. I might just take a picture like that for my new ABW Photo.. Big Straw Hat, Barrel, and a piece of straw in my mouth.. barefoot of course and really dirty... LMAO..

CheeseHead - "I hope you like catfish!"
    Darn Tootin.. I love em.. There is a pond about 100 yards from the house with loads of catfish in it.. fresh fish daily if I want.. But I will miss the Salmon Seasons up here and the Halibut..

my2cents - "All I can say is WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?"
    Well to tell you the truth.. it's because my Mom's getting older and has a huge place to take care of (20 acres) so I need to be closer.. it sucks getting OLD.. Plus I have five little nieces and nephews that I want to see grow up.. I don't see much of them up here..

-------------------------------------

The thing I am not looking forward to is shutting off my ISP account tomorrow.. I won't know what to do without some way to be online.. for over a week.. maybe even two... I'll be jones'n for traffic and sales stats!!!!

Thanks For The "Be Safes"...

I will be moving to Arkansas from Alaska on SUNDAY (Oct. 22nd) Driving down (6,000 miles) just me and my DOG..
    Ok AddHandler,

You make me look here: http://www.travelalaska.com/

Crossing the Border

U.S. and Canadian residents must carry passports OR a certified copy of their birth certificate with current photo identification issued by a government agency (state I.D. card, driver's license, military I.D.) to travel through Canada and Alaska.
    Identification is required for all minors traveling in your party. Minors under the age of 14 are not required to show a government-issued I.D.
    Persons under 18 years of age, not accompanied by their parents, should carry a letter from their parents granting permission to travel to Canada.
    If you are driving through Canada, be prepared to show proof of liability insurance and your vehicle's registration or rental papers.
    You can take your dog or cat through Canada with proof of a current rabies vaccination. Inquire ahead regarding permits for other animals or birds.
    http://www.travelalaska.com/Regions/...20the%20Border
    So have a Safe Trip.

Bwt, Sunday is the 23rd. :-)

Sal.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Lol, last year, the boys and I made a snowman, gave him arms, a cowboy hat, stuck a spatula in one hand, and dragged the grill over in front of him, like he was grilling out. No truck, though. If you want to be a redneck, you can be a redneck in Indiana, too!
    You can be a redneck anywhere.

And a KY hillbilly too.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

T'anks ... no demographics/assumptions intended.
    NE GA hillbilly redneck mug myself ... just giving him something to work towards

Looks like I'll be leaving MONDAY instead.. I want to make sure my last CJ COMMISSION Check is deposited.. don't want to get half way through Canada... and run out of CASH... LOL..
    And that means I get to keep my ISP account for another weekend! YEEE HAAAW...

Oooops Turning RedNeck HillBilly Already..
    LMAO..

THANKS for the tips Mr. Sal.. me and my dog have all the required paperwork..!

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    YEEE HAAAW...

LMAO..
    'mon now ... that'll be but one word down here

Well it can't be that bad, I'm about to become pure back woods, I'm moving to Virginia the western part one county away from West Virginia, it's where i grew up and get plenty of jokes about it from friends here in SC, about finally getting indoor plumbing and shoes when I moved here. But it's really fun to see their jaws drop when I tell them that many do not have indoor plumbing and still use outhouses.
    All's I can say is that you can enjoy much more of the outdoors (provide you have bug spray) in AK.
    Tip: one great home remedy that I learned in SC is that Avon Skin So Soft mixed with Rubbing Alcohol works better than any store bought bug spray and will keep them skeeters off ya.

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyes14j
    Tip: one great home remedy that I learned in SC is that Avon Skin So Soft mixed with Rubbing Alcohol works better than any store bought bug spray and will keep them skeeters off ya.
    Downy drier sheets work well too. If you use a cellphone in SC, there is a 80% chance that I had "something" to do with the site over the last 12 years ... not the network quality per your carrier ( they all seem to suck nowadays), but the site itself as far as power ( electricity) or the existence of a tower ( foundation).
    There are some, for real, 747 skeeters down there that make wasps look friendly. The worst that I have seen are in Augusta, GA/North Augusta,SC ... though the islands below Charleston run close come dusk. I remember many a day wiring up meters in 100 degree temps while standing over the burning cardboard boxes to help "smoke them out".

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Have a great trip AH - enjoy the drive and scenery. America is absolutely gorgeous on a road trip. Best of luck in your new digs!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Have a safe trip AddHandler I'm sure you'll love the scenery on the way down.

Take care and arrive safe.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    ...green bug juice splattering so hard on my windshield...
    Be thankful you weren't driving a motorcycle and smiling a lot. When it dries scrape it off your windshield and you'll have some chitlins to go with your bisquits and gravy for breakfast.
    ~Ernie

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    Be thankful you weren't driving a motorcycle and smiling a lot. When it dries scrape it off your windshield and you'll have some chitlins to go with your bisquits and gravy for breakfast.
    So Gordon, now you know what chitlins are. We Americans really know how to eat don't we!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Have a safe and fun trip. What part of Arkie are you gonna live in? I'll be your neighbor to the southwest, near Texarkana.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    Looks like I'll be leaving MONDAY instead.. I want to make sure my last CJ COMMISSION Check is deposited.. don't want to get half way through Canada... and run out of CASH... LOL..
    And that means I get to keep my ISP account for another weekend! YEEE HAAAW...

LMAO..

THANKS for the tips Mr. Sal.. me and my dog have all the required paperwork..!
    does this mean you'll be a changn your alias to "rednek hillbily" "the mis'n link"
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I finally made it here and got my connection set up...
    It was a good trip.. the snow chased me all the way through Canada..

By the way -- Canadian Gas is pretty darn pricey... almost $4.00 a GALLON... $1.09 a liter..

I saw some great stuff.. lots of animals.. and I drove through one of the biggest thunderstorms I have ever seen... it must have been 400 miles in all directions.. lightening all around.. it was really cool.. it was in Oklahoma.. LOL.. and it was raining so hard everyone pulled over and put their flashers on.. even the big trucks.. it was HUGE...

Other then that no excitment.. just glad to be back.. and also to find out that my sites paid for my trip as I was traveling..! Always extra NICE...

( I am here in a little town on Highway 65 called Choctaw... just outside of Clinton... near Conway Arkansas.. )

congrats on the trip.
    nice to know you made it..
    i hope you settle well in your new area..
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast