How to tell if someone is stealing my links?
    I really need some help here, I had sales over $21,000 last quarter and now this quarter so far less than $1,000. I'm talking about Amazon.com affiliate links. My traffic is even up on some sites, but no orders and sales.

How can I check it out, and what can I do about it? Sorry, but I've never experienced this before, and want to know the ins and outs.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Barbara

Sorry to hear about your decline in revenue. Here are a couple of things I would check.
    I would first make sure you have control over your DNS information. Making sure that your DNS servers are set up to use your Web Hosting Company. Also, make sure you are the administrator for your domain as well as the technical contact. That's what I always do. Then, make sure that the html code and affiliate link code on your web page, is exactly the same as under your affiliate account.

I would clear all cookies in my browser, history and cache, and then take a look at each to make sure you aren't being redirected. I have found in the past that certain free dns providers (who shall go nameless here) steal traffic. So make sure you aren't using them, or if you are, you know what they are taking.

I am sure someone else here is more technically inclined, but this is how I check.
    I would also check by doing randon purchases through your links, of course I recommend you can have these charges reversed...first.

I have been with the same host, (very reputable) for a little over a year now. But thanks for the information.

Barbara

My take on affiliate link highjacking
    Barb45684, would you care to share your web site URL. I'm very interested in making it with Amazon. I just couldn't make it work. It goes fine with ClickBank and some others but Amazon gets the least clickthroughs and purchases.

Would you maybe share some ideas you are using?

Anyway, with stealing commissions I'd say it goes like this: The majority of people don't know what an affiliate is. So in my opinion the most steals would be from people interested in affiliate marketing or similar subjects. So if you are selling mostly books on this subject you can expect more commission stealing than if you were selling e.g. gardening stuff.

The reason for your decline might also be the season change. Less people are looking for gardening ideas in the winter. I'm not saying you are promoting gardening books, it's just an example.

I've also heard of commissions being stoled by the web host. A very reputable internet marketer once toled a storry how his security person at his web hosting company was changing the affiliate links to his own! And he wouldn't have gotten caught if he wasn't so greedy. All he needed to do was to change them for a few hours a day or something. Instead he did it for longer periods and the marketer noticed a decline in his sales. So that's also a possibility.

You might also want to rewrite your "sales letter" to presell the product you are promoting.

Also sometimes you get kicked off the first site on the search engines for cerain keywords and added for others. Not all keywords bring potential customers. So you might see increase in traffic, but decrease in sales. Happened to me once.

I'd recommend that you keep track of everything and if you notice something suspicious, figure what it is. And go through your pages and see if all the links are what they should be. I also agree with Slumbum:

I would also check by doing randon purchases through your links, of course I recommend you can have these charges reversed...first.
    Well, that's it from me for now

Hi Moneymaker79,
    I read the threads about the Clickbank Affiliate Link being overlaid by spyware. The same is true with Amazon. I was running a ppc campaign and keeping up with stats and visitors to the pages, and with that kind of visits, I had previously been doing great sales.

I did get some code from David with C3scripts to put on my webpages to prevent the affiliate link being overwritten. I'm reluctant to post it here. I clicked thru to your blog but so no email link to contact you, and I haven't been a member on this forum long enough to be able to send you a private email (inaccessable). If you can figure a way to send me your private email, I'll respond in depth about how I handled the link overlays. Linkshield is too time consuming for the volume of links that I have.

Barb45684

Hi Barb45684,

Yeah, I really ought to put my email on my blog )

Anyway, you can email me at: hypnodoc@gmail.com

I will very much appreciate it, thanx

Oh, one more thing...
    It is possible to prevent clickbank or Amazon or any other affiliate traclking even cheaper. Just set your explorer security to higher. It will disallow any cookies being baked

That is bad news though...

Hope not too many people are doing it though. I think that the only sollution to that is the "?hop=affiliate" line that apears after the url that is selling product on clickbank. But the sad part is that people very rarely buy stuff instantly (sometimes I think I'm the only impulsive buyer out there ).

Well, I'll stop here as this thread is more about Amazon affiliates.

Thanx in advance for your mail.

Take care.

Barb, dd you get my mail?
    Hey Barb, I'm affraid that your mail provider blocked my reply to your
    mail...

If so, just send me a shotrt message and I will find a way to get the
    message through

Take care.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread