Can't read PM---help
    I just noticed when logging in that I have a private message. However, I can't actually read the private message because I guess that function isn't available to me.

Can anyone help me out? I'm not a spammer...just want to read my mail!

Thanks,

Alex

ABW Ambassador

Not to hurt my karma here, but I can't perceive any logical reason for not being able to *view* PMs if I can *receive* them. I hate the concept of somebody writing me and me ignoring them...

If you're going to block newbies from reading PMs, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to block them from *receiving* PMs so that the senders know?

Alex

Hmm. Interesting point. I've always agreed with the policy on signatures and PM's here, and still do. But maybe you have a point on this one.

I agree with blocking signatures, privileges, etc. But it doesn't make sense to not let people *READ* their mail---just block people form sending it. (and block me from receiving it). Once the mail has been received, it makes no sense to block it from being opened and read.

I would be greatly appreciative if an administrator would let me read the PM for a 10 minute window; I promise to post NOTHING and look at no profiles. Better yet, I'd strongly recommend changing the rules so that PMs are either (a) blocked altogether, so newbies can't receive them, or (b) allow newbies to read PMs but not send them.

Thanks,

Alex

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Alex, are you an affiliate or a merchant? Your url reflects a site from Rampell Software but your threads are showing you as an affiliate....

Just curious....
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Susan,

We are a merchant. However, because we have a pretty large user/customer base, we also are increasingly doing a lot of affiliate stuff.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Susan_ShareResults
    Alex, are you an affiliate or a merchant? Your url reflects a site from Rampell Software but your threads are showing you as an affiliate....

Just curious....

Ramp: Be careful with using affiliate links on your merchant site if you want to attract the serious affiliates. We consider those to be "leaks". We don't want to send traffic to a site only to have it leak off to another site.

Not saying noone will use your program, I'm just saying that some of the "professionals" will definitely stay away.

Hi Noth,

That's actually not what we do. Once somebody purchases our product (and our affiliate has gotten credit), we will try to sell them other products and services. We have over 200K paying users and these are highly qualified customers, i.e. people who buy software online. In that sense, we are an affiliate when it comes to marketing other products to them. Our affiliates are never left out to dry.

Thanks,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Ramp: Be careful with using affiliate links on your merchant site if you want to attract the serious affiliates. We consider those to be "leaks". We don't want to send traffic to a site only to have it leak off to another site.

Not saying noone will use your program, I'm just saying that some of the "professionals" will definitely stay away.

Gotcha. Ok. Was just a friendly reminder.

Talking
    Affiliates still consider that leaks.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by rampguy
    Hi Noth,

That's actually not what we do. Once somebody purchases our product (and our affiliate has gotten credit), we will try to sell them other products and services. We have over 200K paying users and these are highly qualified customers, i.e. people who buy software online. In that sense, we are an affiliate when it comes to marketing other products to them. Our affiliates are never left out to dry.

Thanks,

Alex
    So, you pay the affiliate for any further purchases made by that same visitor?
    Susan Arts
    Moxy Media

Once somebody purchases our product (and our affiliate has gotten credit), we will try to sell them other products and services. We have over 200K paying users and these are highly qualified customers, i.e. people who buy software online. In that sense, we are an affiliate when it comes to marketing other products to them. Our affiliates are never left out to dry.
    Except those affiliates that sell those products and services.
    To me that's a leak.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

errr that 's big time....I'll have to just watch for that as well to make sure none of our merchants do that.....
    Susan Arts
    Moxy Media

I think people are misunderstanding what we do...or what virtually every company in the world does, for that matter. Companies that engage in direct marketing continue to make money off their users in a variety of ways.

For example, we make a sale on a product in January of 2005. We have an upgrade available in *October* of 2005, and we sell it to the user. Then, let's say in 2006 we are approached by another software company with a complementary product; what we do is sell it to our users then.

A lot of companies will rent out their postal mailing lists at about 10 cents per name, per mailing---none of which goes to the affiliate. Virtually every major direct marketer in the world does this. Another company makes money from the consumer, and the affiliate doesn't benefit.

I don't understand how anyone can consider this leakage or reprehensible behavior. McAfee, Symantec, and EVERY OTHER software company with an affiliate program does this. There are very few affiliate programs (outside of gambling) that will pay you, the affiliate, a percentage of lifetime earnings of the customer.

Alex

Back on Topic:
    ===========

Quote Originally Posted by rampguy
    ... I can't perceive any logical reason for not being able to *view* PMs if I can *receive* them.
    Simple answer the software is really good but not perfect.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Hi Haiko,

Is there any chance you can give me 5 minutes of privileges to read my PM, or perhaps you can forward the PM to my e-mail address?

I would send you a PM for this request but I can't

Thanks,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Back on Topic:
    ===========

Simple answer the software is really good but not perfect.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread