Best way to sell established domain?
    I have a domain that I started working on then lost interest in. (sound familiar?)

I don't have any interest in doing any more work on it. So how is the best way to sell it to someone who is interested?

Theme: Web hosting
    Expires: 10-24-06
    Registrar: Godaddy (free transfer)

Google visible PR: 3

Backlinks:
    Google: 1
    MSN: 14
    Yahoo: 205
    WiseNut: 300

Directory Listings:
    Yahoo
    GoGuides

This site gets very little traffic as I haven't promoted it. It is set up a hosting review site with my affiliate links all over the place. It has made one sale this year.

Now, I'm not looking to get rich from the sale of this domain. The domain appraisal sites I have looked at would charge more than I think the site is worth. eBay bids are all over the board.

So how to sell this to someone interested, that could benefit from an established site?

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

I hope we get some good responses on this. I have a couple of non commercial sites of a health related theme that I would like to go to someone with inspiration in those areas.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    IMO, there are 3 fairly common domains where one can sell profitably:

www.sedo.com
    www.afternic.com
    www.greatdomains.com

If you are looking to sell without paying the fees they ask for, you could sign up at www.namepros.com , go to the "domains for sale" forum and post the domain. Most of those folks are not end users, though, they are either buying names they think are valuable, or names they can earn parking traffic fees for.

Finally, you could sell it on eBay, but I would put a large reserve on it first, and see how high people bid it up. That would give you a nearly free appraisal of it's value.....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Talking
    You could also use domain parking and try to make some money with ads off it until you sell it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Don't dump anything.

I have a site that earned very little until Jan/Feb this year, it's got a lot of content - not unique, it was a "I can do this webmaster lark now - so here's yet another site" that never really took off.

In Jan/Feb my other sites nosedived and at the same time, this one took off and replaced income. It paid for itself for the next 100 years in terms of hosting fees etc. After then when the SE algos changed again it went back to previous. Why sell? unless you can get more than 100 years costs?

Spread the risk and have eggs in many baskets.

To sell a domain, sedo, afternic, buydomains ... but with hosting ( unless it's jam up) be ready to let it sit.
    To monetize parking, domainsponsor.com ... ya just need 3 cents/day to be profitable + some selling opportunities do arise ( I sold some $12k through them last month -> fee free). The domain may become worth more as time passes.
    Funny thing about folks with money. I sold a domain for $4k last month and they have yet to change the name servers .... $30+ to me on top of the sell

So how to sell this to someone interested,
    I guess that mentioning the domain Name should be the first step. :-)

Someone may just show interest if they like the domain name, even if they were not looking to buy one.

Sal.

Some good suggestions. Thanks.

I should say that parking isn't needed as hosting is in place. Still have more than a year on the domain name.

I was thinking along the lines of selling the whole package (less hosting). Meaning all of the content, the templates, the images, the css, the whole shebang.

Not having much interest in in causes me to really prod myself to update the thing. Just today a merchant sent me a message that they were going off line. A dead link to get out.

~Mr. Sal "I guess that mentioning the domain Name should be the first step. :-)"

Well I didn't think anyone here would be interested. If anyone is they could send me an email: frank3iii at gmail dot com

~Paul Ward... that is an option. The one sale this year paid for 12 years of domain name costs ;-}

~elbowman...another good option. Wonder how high one should go?

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread