A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Articles on Product Site
    So I'm attempting to tough it out and get some more substantial content going. I am writing some articles, but have a question.

It 'seems' to me that affiliate links should not be place in articles, since we want to give a sense of competence and trustworthiness. However, I have an article I just wrote actually saying that a particular type of product does not work for its intended purpose. On the same site I do offer a couple versions of the product because it seems popular, and they are inexpensive (I could push the $100 versions, but I don't.) I could easily throw some links in to go to those products, but that doesn't seem right. I just want to know what you all do when you add articles into your sites. Always affiliate links? Never? Special circumstances?

~L
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Most of my affiliates link their articles directly to the products (through their affiliate links, of course), but in this case, I do not even know what to say. Why would you want an article on how "a particular type of product does not work for its intended purpose"? I mean, why would you want to put something like this up at your affiliate site? Sounds like a negative review...

Geno

If the site is all articles, I'll make a sidebar with the affiliate link(s). Doing that is not much different than having an AdSense block and surfers seem ok with that most of the time.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Talking
    I agree with Geno.

Write a positive review of a products or products.

Do it like a press release so it sounds like it is a brand new product and in it have each product name as a link to a page for that product on your site.

On the product page tell them about the product and why they need to buy it from you.

Of course - the link they click on to buy the product will be your affiliate link to the merchant.

You could also try to get some testimonials to put on the product page if you can.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

The site is mostly products. I don't know, the products in question are good for something completely different than what their label states, and some women claim it works for them. I basically just mentioned the products and treatments for a particular condition, and their level of actual usefulness. My desire is to give my visitors a sense that I'm not giving everything rave reviews to just get them to buy. I mentioned that opinions are divided, and that it can't hurt to try the product.

Does any of that make sense? My head's spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Does any of that make sense?
    It does to some extent... So you want to propose that they use it differently? Is your application of it "sellable" (or: has a market)?

Geno

Yes. This won't be a common type of article for me, but I think it's important to give the facts with a positive spin. I think it will bring some interest because this condition is a big deal to women. I dunno...I was always dubbed the 'honest salesperson' at my sales jobs. If something is crap, I won't say it's great, and if something is good for one person and not another, I let them know that too. Believe it or not, I made alot of sales that way back in the day. I once turned a male chauvinist pig into a regular customer because I didn't BS him, even though he thought a woman couldn't possibly know anything about electronics. After I sold him something that fit HIS needs perfectly, he would only deal with me. This practice will be a little harder to perfect via the Internet, but I guess I'll figure out the formula...

Talking
    How about a link on the product page that says "And what else can this products be used for" or something like that and send them to a page that explains what else different people use the product for.

Hmmm...that's a possiblility. You're smarter than you look, BB!

J/K!! That's for the yankee comment earlier...

Talking
    I don't know about all that.

If you work on something long enough you can figure it out though.

Write some of your ideas down and then ask some of your friends what they think about them.

It's OK to pick someone's brain and ideas without them knowing what you're doing.

Don't ask family though.

They'll always think that something is wrong with anything that you try to do.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread