Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just can't get motivated
    Long story short. I got some new income that pretty much guarantees my basic needs. (Not my wants) Now, I just can't get motivated.

But, I have always liked the challenge of AM and if I don't do this, I may have my needs but none of my wants.

And, if I don't do this, then what? Sit and rot?

I think I should be working because I DO want some stuff and anything fun costs money but just can't get a move on.

Falling into lethargy. Eat and sleep all day or stay in some dumb chat room instead of being productive. I think this could become depressing if I don't get back at it soon.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Now's your chance to build something for the fun of it. Forget about building a site that's all about money. Since you don't have to worry about your site succeeding you can have more fun with it and build something possibly more enjoyable to your visitors. Sometimes if you stop focusing on the money it'll just come to you naturally. There are tons of websites that were built with no intention of profit and ended up earning millions. Sometimes your intentions are what make or break a site. If it's too obvious your intentions are profit, people won't use your site.

There are so many possibilities, so just keep with it! Have fun and come up with something you're passionate about.

Good luck!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks.

I may go back to my radical flaming Pagan roots as you suggest.

This earning a living took me away from that and I do have regrets.

I may just drop all my sites except the Pagan ones. Or, maybe keep one Mundane shopping mall.

Can you ever go home again? My poor neglected Pagan site which hasn't been touched in years still ranks #4 in Google for "... news" and #1 for ".... information".

After so much neglect, I am almost ashamed to start working on the site again. It was quite something in its day. At one time, I considered myself a threat to witchvox. However, they grew and changed and I went off affiliate marketing.

However, I paid my bills and witchvox had to beg for money which I never did. But, now their site is great and mine is not.
    Last edited by SSanf; October 22nd, 2005 at 06:09 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Ditto what Scott said. Now you can pursue your passions. Use the talent and knowlege you gained with your sites and do one for fun. Set up your own mssg board instead of hanging out on the dorky ones.

I was in a similar situation 15 years ago. I didn't need the business income anymore. Paid off the mortgage and became self-insured. Boooring. So I did what was fun and returned to designing custom homes. I chose a niche in log home design and I only work on mountain building sites that are close to my favorite fishing holes. I got into AM for the fun of it, too. I take my time and enjoy learning new tricks without all the stress. It's amazing how stress reduction has such a positive affect on your creativity.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    Ditto what Scott said. Now you can pursue your passions. Use the talent and knowlege you gained with your sites and do one for fun. Set up your own mssg board instead of hanging out on the dorky ones.

I was in a similar situation 15 years ago. I didn't need the business income anymore. Paid off the mortgage and became self-insured. Boooring. So I did what was fun and returned to designing custom homes. I chose a niche in log home design and I only work on mountain building sites that are close to my favorite fishing holes. I got into AM for the fun of it, too. I take my time and enjoy learning new tricks without all the stress. It's amazing how stress reduction has such a positive affect on your creativity.
    I should not have called it a "dumb" chat room. I am dumb for spending so much time there. It is really a superior message board which I sponsor. In fact, they are beyond fantastic and do a significant service to the Pagan community.

I am just in a funky mood and feeling at lose ends.

I think I am kind of down because all these other sites are so good and do such good service but I have not grown even though I have done what they did not which is support myself and my sites with cold hard cash earned on the internet.

The mssg board just started selling ad space three months ago after years of service. Funny they did it as a favor to me because I promoted them for free for years and, now, the owner is quiting his job to work full time on the site! I was their first sponsor!

I am kind of proud that I helped free him up to do that by getting him to sell ad space insted of just giving it all away like Pagans usually do.

Well, thanks.

I am not too sure I feel better. Now, I feel bad about my anchor site and still don't want to do much.

I guess, I will just have to pick a direction. Probably, if I did update my main site, I would feel better about things.

Poor old thing. It used to be so good. I never intended to let it go this long. I never thought I would. I just wanted to make some money.
    Last edited by SSanf; October 22nd, 2005 at 06:34 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    2 winters ago i took a break from jan-april 1 I didn't really do a damn thing. I didnt have to. One of the nice things about this "job". I felt the burnout but instead of just half-ass hanging on, besides posting here, i just left much of my sites alone and screwed around. Played on frozen lake erie, visited family and friends, whatever. Came back after the break refreshed with a million ideas.

I found being away from this after a bit will just get your mind twisted with new ideas on how to make millions... so step away from all of it from a bit (still visit here of course) and then I am sure the old fire will get burning again and you will not be able to help stopyourself from continuing. I read to many of your posts to not see that you love the game in all of it as much as I do.

Chet

Yes, I do love the game. But, you know, that do or die necessity was a hell of a motivtor. It MADE me get up and at least try to do something productive every day.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I know where your coming from. I went through a dry spell when I didn't even want to look at my sites let alone work on them.

After taking some time away, I have tons of ideas and I'm anxious to get them live. The away time let me see a wider vision. Maybe it would help you too.

You can always worry about it tomorrow, but for today just kick back and enjoy life.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Long story short. I got some new income that pretty much guarantees my basic needs. (Not my wants) Now, I just can't get motivated.

But, I have always liked the challenge of AM and if I don't do this, I may have my needs but none of my wants.

And, if I don't do this, then what? Sit and rot?....
    Sounds like a thread I've seen recently around here... Sandra, we'll do our BEST to encourage you too!! We can't afford loosing such great people!

Geno

And, if I don't do this, then what? Sit and rot?

I think I should be working because I DO want some stuff and anything fun costs money but just can't get a move on.

Falling into lethargy. Eat and sleep all day or stay in some dumb chat room instead of being productive. I think this could become depressing if I don't get back at it soon.
    Yeah I know the feeling you get lazy.
    But this is what I do.

If I can make double what I am making now. I can get that bigger place I always wanted. That better car. I can even get into a country club.

Think about what can be better and it motivates you.

Hmm I dunno your a girl so maybe think about:
    I need $5000 for those botox shots
    I need $3500 for those enhancements I always wanted
    I need $1500 a month for that mortgage for that house i always wanted
    I need a better looking younger man in my life and they tend to be high maint.

Talking
    Sandra - What you need is a good long vacation with all of the gallon jugs of good ole' KY moon shine that you can drink.

Go sight seeing at some of the places that there are around where you live.

Quit thinking of your sites as a job and start thinking of them as a hobbie. Now that you have some money it should help you not feel as much stress when you work on them.

Keep working and save the money to treat yourself to something special when you feel the need for some special tender love and care for yourself.

If you don't want to just sit at home go out and do some volunteer work and help other people that need some help in their lives. Believe it or not - you will feel good about yourself when you see how much they appreciate the help that you gave them. You might even end up with some new special friends.

In other words - get your mind on something else besides yourself and your worries and you'll find out that your worries will go away.

I have to go to work now. I'll check in again when I get back home.

How about putting an ad in your local paper and teach other people how to built websites. Of course you'll charge them for your help.

A lot of banks and etc have community rooms that you can use free for meetings and classes.

In other words - just do something besides sitting around thinking bad things and you will start to feel better about yourself.

Richard

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think I am kind of down because all these other sites are so good and do such good service but I have not grown even though I have done what they did not which is support myself and my sites
    It sounds like you've been infected by some kind of lefty/commie propaganda, if you think that supporting yourself isn't worthwhile enough! Gak!!

It also sounds like you're convincing yourself that satisfying your "needs" is enough. Remember that even animals have their "needs" satisfied (unless there's a famine or some sh*t like that). Go for better!

So...only divert to c*ntent if that's what you want. The fact that you're posting on here about it, instead of hurling yourself into updating that site, tells me that *isn't* what you want. You said you didn't have enough money for your wants (so that means they are material wants).

I say, keep hammerin' away at the Retail, if money's what will get you your remaining wants!

If it's too obvious your intentions are profit, people won't use your site.~Snib
    Yeah right, sure...Tell that to Amazon!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    It sounds like you've been infected by some kind of lefty/commie propaganda, if you think that supporting yourself isn't worthwhile enough! Gak!!
    Uh...well you do know that that is sort of a Pagan sort of perspective, minimalist living, self-sufficiency, save the planet and so forth, leaving more than you take, right?

Ya know, first I am a Pagan. Secondly I am a Pagan capitalist.

Well, I need to think. I may try to split the baby. If I build content, it will not be because I think it is the most lucrative thing to do which is nonsense but because I want to make a site that offers some insight into Paganism and helps make it more understood by the mainstream and/or beats down barriers and/or because I enjoy jerking their chain.

Uh...well you do know that that is sort of a Pagan sort of perspective, minimalist living, self-sufficiency, save the planet and so forth, leaving more than you take, right?
    Yeah, but I also remembered you posting that you're a Conservative...

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Yeah, but I also remembered you posting that you're a Conservative...
    That too! But, as you recall, I said I am a Republican because I have generally felt that they had sounder financial policies for the country. Not so sure I think that any more.

Well, being able to take care of yourself IS fulfilling that "self-sufficiency" part you mentioned, anyway.
    Plus, being able to make monetary donations is a good thing, too! Without money, you have you. With it, you can motivate others. Sometimes there's a need to rai$e people's intere$t in certain issues...

As for the minimalist living...*Brrrrr* I would've taken that over a j*b, but, personally I'm thankful to avoid it!

Scuse me if I seem a bit gruff today. I've been w*rking on a feed since midnight, I've tried everything under the sun, and it still won't work!!! And what's really screwy is, the same exact PHP page is running every other feed PERFECTLY! And, I can't see any errors in the feed. If there had been any decent-tasting booze in the house, I'd have been driven to drink it hours ago.

Edit: I suppose that's not too motivating
    Well at least now you can feel better about NOT having php pages

Well, maybe I should take this time to learn PHP pages.

A new challenge could add interest, perhaps.

Edited to add: It isn't anyone's job to motivate me but mine. However, I do appreciate the interest. Hope you find it and get it fixed, soon.

I know what part of the problem is. I just don't know which way to jump with a certain merchant and I am kind of hung up on that.

I know I should go on to something else but it is, as I said, sort of hanging me up.

It may!

When it works right, it's a great time-saver! You'd have all the time in the world to do whatever else you wanted to...at least, until some merchant finds a way to break it with unfindable error(s) in their feed!

(Right now I'd like to learn how to shove this kooky data up a particular merchant's rear end...)

Sees your edit:
    I know what part of the problem is. I just don't know which way to jump with a certain merchant and I am kind of hung up on that.
    Unless one of the directions is "away from them," you could try doing different things with 'em on different sites. Domains are cheap...

You know I have a content site that I neglected for several years. I felt really bad about it and know exactly how you feel. When I finally got back to it and started working on it again I really enjoyed it. That work is what got me branching off to affiliate marketing and building affiliate sites. It's now become my most profitable site and I still love working on it. Something about it makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing that this is my true contribution to the internet. I love getting private messages from members telling me it's their favorite site on the net and that they visit every day. No amount of money can buy that feeling. There's definitely more to the internet than income.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    If you are able, why not just get away from it all? If you are not into luxury vacations, why not go and take a trip where you can feel good about what you have. Like visiting the site of the old WTC, Ellis Island, or even a small bed & breakfast where you can get alway from it all.

Get in touch with your roots or even get away to a place where there is no phone, tv or internet. After a few days you'll again appreciate what you have and during that time you may find a new interest that may turn into a new site. Let it come to you instead of you seeking it out.

like everyone said.. vacation vacation vacation.. longer the better.

I love getting private messages from members telling me it's their favorite site on the net and that they visit every day.
    I guess it's a matter of what's important to you.

Someone buying because I SAID SO, thrills me a lot more than emails from nonbuyers praising my site (I do get those, on my recipe site). Sales appearing in my account are the highest compliment. Buyers need say nothing, verbally--if they buy, they've shown that:

They like my site
    They like my pitchwriting (on sites where I did any)
    They like how I present things
    They didn't distrust me
    They like my product/merchants (and therefore, my taste, since I picked said merchants)

To dismiss a for-profit endeavor as being "just" for the money, shows a lack of understanding of the depth of buying psychology.

For me, the income and the enjoyment are inseperably connected. If I get a compliment without a corresponding sale, I see it as a failure. "Words are cheap." The validation of the Sales endeavor, is when it works. Compliments with no accompanying sale means that something went wrong!

IMO, the best praise email, is from a satisfied *customer!* I'll probably print out and frame the ones I've gotten from GoodBulbs so far. I hope to get a whole wallful, and all from real customers.

ABW Ambassador
    Like what's been posted already, just sounds like you need a break. Take a vacation somewhere and just relax. And if you can't stay away from this board, more reading than working, have Haiko give you a temporary ban for a month or so.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar

Ya know, first I am a Pagan. Secondly I am a Pagan capitalist.
    Pagan Capitalist ... sounds like a great domain name. :-)

Maybe take your "content" site into profit mode and build sales pages around what you love and the word you want to spread. Such as: offer "pagan" products where you discuss them or just link to them in the content wording.

I'm a big believer in selling where you already have traffic ... incorporate sales into what you love to write about and what you know. Then, if they all have a shared theme, link them together (including your sales pages) and build off the original traffic. Create new pages around your main theme (where you have good traffic) and incorporate sales into those pages, maybe think of things to sell and write around those products. At the same time, you're offering information and knowledge about what you're passionate about, which will make it easier to continue to add content and people will respond to your passion and information. Halloween might be a good theme for you to play with. By next year, you could have your Halloween "content" linked on various Halloween sites and build more traffic that way.

Good luck. Lisa (Lstoltz) is going through pretty much the same thing in another thread on here. Is it the holiday pressure?

I've been working on three new sites for months, just can't seem to get the motivation to finish them even though I'm pretty sure they'll do well and make money. My deadlines for all three have come and gone. Meanwhile, I spend endless hours in poker rooms, distracting myself from all the pressure I've created to "get the sites done and out there" but I'm having fun and building a helluva stack of worthless tokens to stay in the game. LOL

The "brainstorms" that happen in the midddle of the night and at odd times usually produce the best ideas for good producing pages. Listen to your instincts and run with them. Write articles for your particular audience, which will give you more content to link to and link back to your "support" pages.

I won't go into a tirade about "you deserve to make money!" even though I think you do. Now that you have enough to cover your needs, have fun with what you produce online and build from there. You aren't going anywhere, just as Lisa isn't going anywhere. We all just need a fresh persepctive sometimes and sometimes a shove in the right direction. And sometimes we need to get away from it for a while to better appreciate what we have.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

When I feel burnt out I just walk away, think and live, and then poof something hits me and I get all creative and then before I know it I'm psyched and back in the swing of things again, and now armed with a new project. Granted many of the projects go to nothing but it was the extra umph it gave me to rescue myself from the dumps that they served.

Take some time off and PM me your addy and I'll send you a NEW Tshirt (or sweatshirt) ... gifts help also
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast