Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ShareAsale VS Commission Junction?
    Saturday, October 22, 2005

All programs at SaS = 1,664

Advertiser Search Results at CJ = 1,298

Any questions?

Wow. Thanks for the stats, Mr. Sal. Impressive. Good job, Brian! Getting higher and higher... CONGRATULATIONS!

Geno

weird I get more than 1600 for CJ

Try comparing just online merchants who have had at least one affiliate sale in the past week.

There are a few good merchants on ShareASale.com, but the low price also attracts a ton of small merchants with very little potential.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    imho, all SAS merchants should be on auto deposit with a $200 minimum.

Adam @ BDS

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar

Perhaps just another good reason merchants and affiliates should join and are joining:
    like Haiko says: "The Dynamic Duo"

The next level is here!

This is why I'm not running any ads through SAS right now - too many merchants with low funds warnings, and some of them have been that way for a LONG TIME!

Perhaps SAS needs to do some Fall house cleaning, and tell these deadbeat merchants to pay up or GET OUT! Especially during this time of year. Are they serious about their affiliate program or not? Having low funds tells me they could care less if I get paid.

SAS should not allow this, in my book it's almost as bad as allowing the parasites in. It's just a different form of stealing.

Andy

Andy,

Truer words never spoken!

Geno

Internet Cowboy
    I'll say this about SAS, in light of many of their merchants going Low Funds, Offline etc.

I have found two SAS merchants recently who, with a small amount of promotion, are producing EPC's well in excess of $100 and are converting at better than 6%. Combined average commission on these two merchants is over $40. Both merchants have auto-deposit, so funds should not be a problem.

Granted, these two merchants are in a niche that is where most of my sales come from, but my point is that there are some real gems in SAS. You just have to find them. Because SAS is a "small" network, you don't have to compete with every affiliate in the world on these programs. Because Brian polices his network and because neither of these programs are on multiple networks, you don't need to worry about parasites at all.

My SAS earnings have increased tremendously in the past few months and I will continue to seek out more SAS merchants.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    imho, all SAS merchants should be on auto deposit with a $200 minimum.

Adam @ BDS
    That wouldn't make those who can't convert, start converting. They'd just have the $200 rotting in their account forever.

I think it'd be more useful if nonconverting merchants got education in how to make a site that sells!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

As much as I like SAS, the number of merchants does not mean anything in comparing them with CJ, even if your numbers were correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That wouldn't make those who can't convert, start converting. They'd just have the $200 rotting in their account forever.
    Amen!

Tho' I have no problem with it whatsoever as, I would think, none of those that already are on auto-deposit (there really isn't much difference between $50 and $200.

Geno

The difference with SAS is that if the merchant does not keep money in their account, the DO NOT get free traffic and sales. Click throughs are sent to the default page of your choice, instead. Brian says if he ever does extend credit, he will take the risk and you will never lose your commissions because he extended credit.

When a CJ merchant does not keep money in their account, CJ extends them credit, you know nothing about it and if the merchant defaults, they reverse all your commissions and keep all the sales you made for them for free while screwing you over. Just another kind of parasite at CJ.

At SAS, no tickee, no washee. I think that is better unless, of course, you LIKE credit being extended behind your back and you taking risks you know nothing about and have no control over.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

This is very educational (on SaS' vs CJ's attitude towards the "non-paying merchants"). Thank you, Sandra! SaS definitely sounds more sound here.

This is a business you have to treat it as such.
    Credit needs to be extended if it isn't its bad business taking a risk is what makes millionaires. If you are too worried about being screwed then you're in the wrong line of work.

A lot of people on this forum often say "we are business and need to be treated like a businesses"

Well it's hard for a major network to treat an affiliate like a business when a lot of affiliates don't want to take that business risk.

Plus when you take a risk you are motivated to see it work and if it fails your motivated to make sure it doesn't fail again.

Affiliate Manager
    As an AM that runs programs on both networks one thing I noticed right off hand is that CJ has a much stronger affiliate base (number wise). DietDirect started on Shareasale back in May and have 218 affiliates. DietDirect started on CJ this month and had over 218 affiliates within the first 12 hours of being activated and now have three times that many to date and I haven't even started any recruiting efforts for the CJ program yet.

When I did some recruiting the the Shareasale program I got a few replies from people saying that they will only work with merchants on CJ or LinkShare.

Not trying to take anything away from Shareasale of course... just sharing my experience as an AM that is working with programs on both networks.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet_B
    When I did some recruiting the the Shareasale program I got a few replies from people saying that they will only work with merchants on CJ or LinkShare.
    In a very selfish way I love to hear things like that.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet_B

I felt this way (not about LS but Cj ...) until I started seeing results at SAS far above the results I'd ever seen on CJ or LS. Now that I've discovered ABW, I've realized why ... SAS rocks.

I'd venture to say that an affiliate working through SAS is more aware of the issues and probably more serious about their business or at least have figured out some of the goofs at the larger networks. As a merchant, I'd direct all those affils who said they'd only work through CJ or LS to this forum. But maybe not ... leave SAS for us serious affiliates! ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The recruits you get at CJ are either clueless sign-up-for-alls or dirty players. Most merchants can't tell who's cheating and so the CJ reports look good... until I email you a video of some CJ huckster stealing from you.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    This is a business you have to treat it as such.
    Credit needs to be extended if it isn't its bad business taking a risk is what makes millionaires. If you are too worried about being screwed then you're in the wrong line of work.

A lot of people on this forum often say "we are business and need to be treated like a businesses"

Well it's hard for a major network to treat an affiliate like a business when a lot of affiliates don't want to take that business risk.

Plus when you take a risk you are motivated to see it work and if it fails your motivated to make sure it doesn't fail again.
    There is a heck of a lot of difference between my decision to extend credit and a network extending credit to advertising on my site, forcing ME to take all the risk and not so much as advising me that such credit has been extended!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

They aren't forcing you to take the risk you agree to take the Risk when you sign up.
    As a CJ affiliate or LinkShare affiliate you should already know that the merchant has not paid up front for the traffic you are going to send them in some cases.

For example i know buy.com doesn't pay CJ for sales and leads up front. I also know for a fact Dell doesn't pay linkshare up front.

ABW Ambassador
    Give SAS time to mature. They are doing well for a relatively new network without the deep pockets that CJ has. The offline merchants are a pain though. A compulsory $200 autodeposit would help a lot.

The nonconverting ones, like Leader said, would benefit from some education. Maybe SAS could have some kind of free course on building a store that converts to be given to all SAS merchants.

With every major mistake CJ and other big networks make, some affiliates may flee to SAS, bringing their merchants with them.

Internet Cowboy
    I agree on the mandatory $200 balance.
    If you don't have $200 to spare, you can't afford an affiliate program to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    They aren't forcing you to take the risk you agree to take the Risk when you sign up.
    As a CJ affiliate or LinkShare affiliate you should already know that the merchant has not paid up front for the traffic you are going to send them in some cases.

For example i know buy.com doesn't pay CJ for sales and leads up front. I also know for a fact Dell doesn't pay linkshare up front.
    UNTRUE!!! They did NOT do that when I signed up. In fact, they were MUCH like SAS is now, when I signed up.

But, since they now do, and have made many, many other anti-affiliate decisions, I can no longer stand to do business with them.

If a merchant cannot convert, that's fine by me. Just move on to the next one and chalk it up. Live and learn. I can deal with it.

My main concern is this: There are so many merchants that look like real good prospects but then you see that their EPC is a flat $0.00 even though the program may have been "active" for several months or even years. Is there no EPC figure because nobody has made a sale for them yet? Is there no EPC figure because they aren't loading tracking pixels after a purchase is made? HOW DO WE KNOW?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast