Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How often do you replace your computer?
    The first one I bought was a "quality brand" that I thought would last and last, after two years it didn't work - pressed the on button one day and nada-zilch-bugger-all dead mother board.

Next one (generic make) lasted a year and a half before I bought a replacement in advance of anticipated demise, it started to cough and falter a month later and needed replacement parts before my son could use it.

Latest one (quality make again) is just over a year old and I'm wondering if it's time to replace it again. So far replacements have been significantly better spec than the previous, though now there seems to be a lot less of an improvement and what upgrades there are (HD capacity, graphics card) mean little to me anyway.

When do you decide it's time to make a replacement?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward

When do you decide it's time to make a replacement?
    When I'm sure there's a better machine to replace the one I have.

I just got a new computer after 5 years with a great machine that was great for about a year ... this one is so far superior and the last one was crapping out as my comp guy was transferring data to the new one. I'd say for a serious marketer, replacing the computer every 3 years is probably a must.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Cool
    I'm running with an old P3 that is plenty fast for what I do. We use white boxes in the family, made up of parts left over from experiments and other leftovers from projects. There are other computers on the inhouse network, mostly 1.1 gig Clientpros and the equivalent being used as test servers for un!x clone OS's.

Nothing in the house is superfast or very new at all. You get to the point, I feel, where the job is being done well enough and having the latest and greatest doesn't add to the profit any. One project that is waiting is to play with a Compaq ML570 server with every drive bay full. Three processors, but this box draws a lot of current so will be just for play and education. Yes this machine is very old by today's standards.

However, the main machine is backed up to tape every night with an old DLT drive. My main machine is hardly ever turned off, but some day we may be able to find a very efficient simple server and will let that run the network full-time.

I have come to the following conclusion.

if you buy a DELL/HP/Compaq or any name brand PC expect to replace the PC in 3 to 5 years.

Build your own PC expect to upgrade t in 3 to 5 years but it will last atleast 8.

I my self go through computers like women go through tampons and replace my personal machine every year. But I do this because I am flooded with new hardware regularly to review.

I build my own and usually replace pieces with newer equipment every so often. The PC I use now is about 2 1/2 years old and still works good but I'm getting the urge to build a new one. This one has a great looking Thermaltake Xaser II case but the newer Thermaltake cases look even better so I may not reuse this case.

I'm leaning toward a dual processor AMD based system with a raid setup and maybe even liquid cooled. This case has 7 fans in it with a fan controller and gets quite loud when the temp rises since the controller increases the fan speed to keep it cool. I'll probably replaced this one before it's 3 years old. It still has the original equipment I put in it, except the fan controller, so it's been dependable for me so far.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Manager
    The rule in my shop is to replace computers only when the new one offers at least twice the performance of the one it's replacing. That averages between 18 to 24 months, and over the long term the cost of the new computer tends to pay for itself with increased poductivity.

Of course such a rule is only applicable when the computer you have is working. I keep at least four machines running here, so if one goes down I have others to rely on.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My ancient and cheap e-machines still works, but became so obsolete that it couldn't play the then-new games, and that's why I replaced it. I think it was about 2 or 3 years old at the time. The HD was always loud as a WWII bomber, but that never seemed to result in problems (strangely enough).

I've had the current one for 3 years now, and I intend to keep it until it either dies or won't play the new games. Which should be quite a while. As for AM-related activity, it'd be nice if a few programs would run faster, but not so nice that I'd pay more just to speed that up. It's quite fast as it is (saying this knowing that if I had something that went twice as fast, the current speed would seem like molasses even though compared to my OLD one, it's already rocket-fast LOL)!

The CPU fan did die on this one, and was horribly loud in the process, but that was a simple fix. Take off side of case-->unscrew old fan-->screw in new fan-->Put case back together.

Paul, I'd say you've just had lousy luck with hardware. The expensive parts, at least, should last longer than that...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Almost like clock work on my IBM laptops .... every two years,my server ... mwhahaahaha won't post about her ever again.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Internet Cowboy
    I usually buy a new machine about every two years. I am not a techie and don't build them. I usually buy the latest greatest and run with that.
    My latest is an awesome high-end brand name machine with the raid hard drive configuaration, 3 gigs of ram and all kinds of other goodies. It is an awesome gaming machine.
    I can't imagine another computer being faster than this one, but I couldn't imagine anything faster than my 286/12 back in the early 90's.

Changing computer every 3 years for me. This week I sold my computer for a laptop with almost the same power. This is because I found that I can't work at home anymore, I must go in public area, like a library. But I don't think I will have this computer for 3 years and change it. I will probably buy a tower as soon as I'm making more money with my work.

Change your computer when it don't do the job. That's it.
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I haven't bought a brand new computer in over 8 years. I usually just sell a customer a new wizbang system and take his old one in trade. Add in a second drive from my old one, with all the data and photo files on it. and spiff up the trade-in with more memory. I think my monitor (17" HP/Trinitron model) is 7 years old and still is just a bright and clear as day one. Call me cheap but I'd never buy a notebook or system I couldn't resell for the same price.. even if I used it for 3 years. Good factory refurbs actually have a better DOA ratio then some brands of new ones. Notebooks ... only IBM or Sony.. and only at year old closeout prices, make sense to me.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I built my current set up (first time not having someone else build one) and I think I've put more than four years of constant use on it... it still outperforms some pcs and laptops I've seen purchased in the last couple years... & it's not really anything special. I think I may need a stronger video card and maybe more RAM, but I'm good to go... My only complaint is that I have a bunch of fans, it runs hot and it's loud... but I built it & I'm proud of it & the whole time I've had it I've been meaning to hook up my other monitor and run side-by-side 19"s Oh, and I finaly got some speakers to replace the cheap ones I bought w/ one of my first computers.. oh.. 10yrs ago? Of course, I'd run my computer through various stereo systems for many of those years, but still...

ABW Ambassador
    What's DOA ratio?

I'm more of an upgrader than a new PC buyer. Until now I never bought a name brand machine. I've always built my PC's and upgraded for 2 to 4 years before starting from scratch. Now I have an Apple Powerbook and expect to hold on to it for at least 2 years before I sell it and opt for a faster model. I'll probably build myself a new PC for gaming, but that'll just be my toy and will get routine upgrades over the course of 2 to 3 years. The only time I held onto a computer for 4 years was because I was a poor college boy. I don't think I'll do it again as that last year was painful. It was a crawler and in dire need of a chucking.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    My first computer was a used one out of a pawn shop. I used it for 5 years, then ordered a new ACER. I picked it cause it was cheap and had a 3 year warranty. Then I bought a cheapo and been using it for the past 6 years. The only reason I bought a new one was cause I wanted more memory, the ACER is still going strong and if I ever get around to adding memory to it, it'll become my main machine again. For now I just use it for a backup.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm on my 2nd desktop and i've had it for about 3 a half years now, works fine, no problems. I'm not a techie but i'm thinking i want to get a new one, something super fast, the Alienwares look pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Paul, I'd say you've just had lousy luck with hardware. The expensive parts, at least, should last longer than that...
    Seems that way, which is partly why I started this thread.

My current machine is a Dell, high spec a year ago and much faster than previous, we finally got broadband at the same time and I upgraded software. The result was that I can do things in literally half the time or less than it used to take. Feel I'm on a bit of a plateau computer-wise now and can't see any increase with a new machine.

My sons machine (my old one) has been fine since a friend changed a few parts and tinkered with it (I could do that stuff if I had to, but don't enjoy it at all). The biggest motivation probably to get a new machine is that my son wants to play games on this one that his can't run!

Every 6 months, with scheduled 'ghosting'/re-imaging of the network. But I'm a techie so NO IT'S NOT OVERBOARD!

I only use laptops, and I typically replace them about every 2 years. I keep them running 24 hours a day (with use during the day, automated updates, backups, and stuff at night), so they're typically showing signs of wearing out within 2 years. Plus, like Richard says, the technology doubles about every 2 years, and that's what I consider enough of a change to upgrade.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I have a laptop now and I have passed my old computers down to my kids. Some were built by my husband and some were bought. They each lasted about 3 years. I *really* like working off of a laptop now and will never go back. Although I don't look forward to replacing this computer in a couple of years.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I'll be replacing this one soon, hopefully within the next few months. This machine is about four years old and runs slow much of the time.

For the past 10 years my husband and I alternate years for getting a new computer, and the kids get the old computer being replaced. So the kids' win, they get a new one every year!

Though I am pretty happy with mine still, and this is my year...

Every two years for me also, Next time I am ditching the desktop and only going with laptops. Proably going to wait a few months into windows vista for next upgrade. You can bet the house the next one will not be a dell !
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Both the working computers in the house were Frankensteined by Ye Olde Beastie. The ancient Gateway the newest monster replaced is waiting for me to scrounge a monitor. It still works fine for most applications but with the kids' games it was like "C'mon, Grandpa, let's play tag!"

If playing computer god is not your gig, there are probably several "Geek" shops in your area that could take your specs and build you a system that would fit you like a tailored suit and for less money than you'd spend on the latest wiz bang machine being blared on the boob tube.

And don't throw away your old box! If you go the "Geek" shop route, you've got a foundation for a whole new system down the road. An ATX tower is an ATX tower and you can plug anything you please into it.

Evaluate your needs and your wants, set your budget and explore your options.

My best to you and yours,

U. S. Beast

My IBM Aptiva, also my first PC, is almost 4 years old, and still running great. I do format the hard drive every 6 months, and added more memory twice. I may buy a new machine in 2006.

My Dell laptop is a year old, it's pretty loaded, so it should go on for a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast