Why are datafeeds not categorised?
    As a new user of Shareasale I joined six suitable programs for my niche and downloaded their datafeeds. In each one I find that EVERY product is defined as belonging to the same category. With some feeds of 4000+ products this is plainly wrong and makes it impossible to build a site with any meaningful navigation.

Can someone explain why this is and is every merchant datafeed in Shareasale without any subcategorisation - or have I just managed to pick six duffers?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The default categories that are in the feeds, are the ones the merchants classified their program under.

However, there are FIVE customizable fields that merchants can use to categorize their feeds further! So, there's no reason they can't go beyond that one field that says it's for "category."

I, for one, use all 5 fields.

Not sure what the others do, since as an affiliate, I don't categorize a darned thing. But, I made sure to have lots of cats in my merchant feed, knowing that some people like that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Actually, the datafeed products are not listed based on what the merchants classified their program under (or they are not supposed to be anyway). For every product, Shareasale provides a standard category and subcategory that is individual to the product, not to the overall merchant. There are 15 overall categories and 162 subcategories that can be chosen from with every individual product.

It sounds like you may have found a merchant in which every product actually fits into the same subcategory (such as subcategory #5: music instruments or subcategory #153: musical toys). If a store only sales musical instruments, then all of their items will naturally fit into the same subcategory. However, if that same store also sells plastic toy instruments, I would expect to find the toy instruments be listed under subcategory #153: Musical Toys.

On top of this, a merchant can use the custom fields to provide custom category assignments that better match up to the merchant's own site (as Leader mentioned). That same musical instrument merchant can use these fields to divide the items into more specific categories (such as "percussion" and "woodwinds").
    Last edited by modernartisans; October 25th, 2005 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add sig
    Bart at <A HREF=http://www.modernartisans.com>Modern Artisans</A>... Artful Living for Home, Garden & Soul.
    <A HREF=https://shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=4349>Shareasale Affiliate Program</A>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Actually, the datafeed products are not listed based on what the merchants classified their program under (or they are not supposed to be anyway). For every product, Shareasale provides a standard category and subcategory that is individual to the product, not to the overall merchant. There are 15 overall categories and 162 subcategories that can be chosen from with every individual product.
    Now that you mention it, that's right... I had forgotten that part because all my products fit under my signup category.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

A BIG BUMP!!!

Most of the datafeeds I have been downloading can't be broken down into categories and it's frustrating as hell. Brian, any tips you can email merchants about having fields that we can break down into categories?

Affiliate Manager
    There's a discussion of an emerging standard for data feed formats being defined in this thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=64131

It seems Shareasale already has a keen interest in providing a consistent format for their feeds. It would be helpful to have Shareasale's input on this proposed universal format.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thanks Richard That thread might be the thread of the year . A universal Feed would be awesome!

we provide a custom categorized data feed
    Hi,

I just wanted to mention that we provide a custom categorized datafeed of over 3000 products.

I am glad that categorized data feeds are finally being recognized as important. Our childrens clothing are categorized by size, brand, season, and department.

Hope that helps!
    www.bargainchildrensclothing.com
    Custom Categorized Data Feed auto-updated weekly
    10% Commission
    Auto-Deposit
    120 Day Cookie
    Over 6000 products and growing

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread