View Poll Results: How often do you cook using raw basic ingredients?

22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every day

9 40.91%
  • Most days, but not all

5 22.73%
  • Several days a week

4 18.18%
  • Maybe once a week

4 18.18%
  • Never

0 0%
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Cookery question
    This is an issue here in the UK at the moment, particularly in respect of school meals thanks to Jamie Oliver "Celebrity chef".

How often do you cook from "basic ingredients" that is starting with raw veg, cuts of meat etc. as opposed to ready-meals anywhere from a bought-in uncooked burger to a whole TV-dinner, just microwave and peel off the film?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd say about twice a week, something raw is actually cooked here.

Wouldn't be a good week without a proper steak. And there's always some raw chicken (although it's skinned, and swimming in added broth, it's still not a microwave/prepack thing...)

Other than that, "semi-prepared" is usually fine. Some goes in the conventional oven instead of the microwave, though.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    New York, USA
    I cook from scratch every other night. I bake from scratch on the nights when I don't cook. On the nights that I bake we eat leftovers from the previous night.

Today is our wedding anniversary so I'm cooking a special meal of roast beef with roasted baby potatoes and roasted broccolini and treviso. For dessert I made an orange bundt cake.

Are you kidding? With a garden? I hope reheating things I cooked from scratch counts.

I cooked some beans and pork necks soup last night that is to die for.

I LOVE my own cooking! One thing I can look forward to each day.

And, it is something fun I can do without guilt. I mean, a person has to eat, don't they?

OK, you made me hungry. Going to have some soup and corn bread, now!
    Last edited by SSanf; October 24th, 2005 at 04:21 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Cambridgeshire, England
    We've always cooked from scratch at least some of the week, but recently realised it was declining and there'd be a jar of sauce or some convenience thrown in there at the least if not a whole ready-meal.

But now we're making more of an effort (to think about it) and re-discovering that simple basic foodstuffs even if cooked simply are far better than some packaged stuff in a fancy sauce - often the sauce is there to disguise the additives and preservatives anyhow.

There seems to be this pressure to think of ourselves as "busy people" with no time to do simple cookery, but cooking is part of life and hugely satisfying too, far better to spend that half an hour in the kitchen than sat vegging out in front of the TV.

SSanf - I envy your veg growing, we have a garden, but it is mostly in the shade and not good for veg so it's ornamental and my developing baby.

We cook every day from scratch...but we do used canned tomatoes or tomatos sauce when its called for.

Once in awhile we'll go out or pick up chinese or pizza!! yummy!!

My husband is a great am I (blush)!

I prefer cooking for my family. I use a crockpot on those days when I don't want to pay much attention to whatever I'm making. My mother used to call her crockpot "the poor man's microwave" since she could have dinner ready as soon as we got home each day.

Lightbulb Cooking vs "Crocking"
    If you tire of the texture of "Crocked " foods ( I find they do well with tough meats like brisket, but overcook more tender meats) try taking a Sat. or Sun. and cooking a roast beef, turkey and ham. Cut them into lunch or dinner portions, wrap them well (the vacuum sealers work great) and freeze. You can easily heat up a meal in no time and it comes close to just prepared.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread