Unhappy eBay competes with us now :-(
    Just would like to know your feelings on this matter....

It seems to me that while searching "G" (Google) for the following terms,

portable tv
    limo limousine
    questions answers
    tivo parts
    tickets
    month
    kookai
    dyson vaacum
    satellite equipment
    CDs
    rental
    drink machines
    portable dvd
    microcomputer

An ad by ebay shows up..........It's eBay putting the ads there....and that list is a VERY PARTIAL list!!!!!!!!!!!

If we send them the traffic and they know what keywords convert best, then they're %#$%---ing us over aren't they!?!?!

If they're going to do their own paid search marketing then what are we for?

This is pretty bad the way I see it............

First they go and buy company after company (skype...etc..) and then they cut the affiliate program commissions and now they go and do this...................................................

I've always seen ebay ads in google...it seems either by affiliates or ebay themselves.

How is it wrong for a merchant to advertise their product??
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

This is new, I know because I used to (long time ago) bid on some terms that are now overtaken by ebay...... :-(

I used to bid on a word that would give me one new registration every 20 clicks!!!! but now I see that "e" has taken it up.......

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Suzigeek said.

I would say:
    A better conversion ratio (provided your pages do convert, of course)...
    However, they don't want to risk any sales getting away, either. They want to hit *every* possible keyword. And, eBay specifically also seems to want to hit some keywords that have nothing to do with anything that's really for sale there, too
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The keywords holyearth mentioned are eBay, but most of the unrelated keywords I've seen in the past are actually affiliates of eBay. No doubt many of their top affiliates (some who earn seven figures per month, I believe) are PPC people.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It makes no sense that ebay would pursue words like:

questions answers
    month

You can't find that on ebay...it seems like they did a "generator" approach to this.......

Quote Originally Posted by holyearth
    If we send them the traffic and they know what keywords convert best, then they're %#$%---ing us over aren't they!?!?!

This is pretty bad the way I see it............
    I don't understand your point. How is this different from any other merchant bidding on keywords and competiting with us? Just because a merchant has an affiliate program, doesn't mean that they aren't free to go out and advertise themselves.

I guess it's not tracy, but look at it this way.....

you sign up to be an affiliate....

you bid on "widgets"....

praise God, "widgets" is a cheap keyword and 1 out of 25 people convert into registrations....

eBay likes "widgets" now and they come with their huge pockets and sit on it....

You're shoved out of the picture.......

So, thanks to your hardwork, they knew exactly what words to go after........

To add to the silliness,

Google E-Mail Accounts
    Shop eBay for anything and everything - from specialized gifts to custom clothing....
    www.ebay.com

I'm gonna go buy some google e-mail accounts on ebay ... LOL

Unfortunately, holyearth, that's the nature of the beast. It's called business.

I've been promoting a product line on my site for over five years that absolutely nobody was promoting three years ago. Now, every body and his little brother is out there promoting it. However, I'm proud to say I do a better job of it than anybody else so I get top SE ranking, in spite of the competition.

But, it's business. If a little competition bothers you, perhaps you shouldn't be in business.

On the other hand, if you build the best "widgets" page, you'll win in the end. I suspect that often times when somebody doing a search clicks on a link that lands them at eBay (especially with no listings of what they are looking for), they just get ticked off at eBay and/or the SE for not providing what they were looking for.

Instead of wasting your time and energy being angry at eBay, use that time and energy to build a better mousetrap.

lol thanks tracy I appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe PPC arbitrage isn't a stable long-term business plan?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It's becoming that way isn't it...

Welcome to the evolving world of affiliate marketing. As our industry matures you will see more and more of this and sales and commissions will continue to decline as the merchants learn our promotion tactics and begin using them for themselves and cutting our piece of the pie right out or drastically reducing it at best.

My advice... Do not unless threatened volunteer any more information to the merchant than what is absolutely required.

Call me parinoid but this is what I am starting to see more and more and I have been earning a full time income since 2000.

I'm sure there are going to be lots people who disagree with me, so be it. This is just my personal experience and observations take it as you will.

You must continously evolve or face elimination.

The method of promoting eBay isn't an actual subsatainible business model anyways. All you really are doing is brokering traffic. Unless you are actively capturing your visitors information and if possible demographics you are wasting your time and money. It will make you money in the short run but in the long run what do you have??

Again just my 2 cents..

This thread reminds me of this article...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01...frican_slaves/

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    You just gotta love ebay and Overstock paying PPCSE fees for the term "used Adwhores" and the natural Serps pointing to the term's inventor and his sidekick... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=used+Adwhores

Meanwhile shitheal affiliates hawking PPCSE clicks like tigerbliss.com use forum and site scrapers plagerizing ABW content to enrich themselves off our posts.. http://tigerbliss.com/th-why_your_sp...abw-58866.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    You just gotta love ebay and Overstock paying PPCSE fees for the term "used Adwhores" and the natural Serps pointing to the term's inventor and his sidekick... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=used+Adwhores

Meanwhile shitheal affiliates hawking PPCSE clicks like tigerbliss.com use forum and site scrapers plagerizing ABW content to enrich themselves off our posts.. http://tigerbliss.com/th-why_your_sp...abw-58866.html
    LOL, they are doing PPC for the term "used." If you use the exact phrase "used adwhores" nothing comes up. Although, "used" does come to mind

I agree with the poster above who alluded to the "big boys" studying affiliate tactics. That way, they can continue to hire mindless corporate drones to fight out politics in their gigantic cube farms while paying wholesale labor prices, and then take true innovation from independent publishers that still have any creativity left and give nothing back for it.

Welcome to The Game! I'm convinced now is the time to make the money if you can. Well, it was really in ~1999, but I'm hoping to jump in on the end of the game before mega-sized publishing houses end up slaughtering us all. Somebody will figure out how to do it. I just hope that person is me. When I grow up, I want to rule over my own cube farm like an evil dark overlord and end up with more money than brains
    Last edited by liquiddog; October 25th, 2005 at 12:25 PM.

Hmmm...Looks like it might be time for Haiko to deliver a DMCA complaint against Tiger bliss...

Andy

Hi Andy,
    Was that you who had posted on the eBay board this morning?

Tuan

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread