Thread: BettyMills Q4 Datafeed...

BettyMills Q4 Datafeed...
    We are almost there folks. It's gonna be a good one !

Should be posted shortly and we will send out a notification to all.

Regards,
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

If I just update the new products and keep the Q3 products for old ones will I be paid for the old link too.
    I noticed the product_url changes with every new feed you release..I guess my question is can I still use the old product url for Q3 feed and new product url for Q4 feed for products that are new in the Q4 feed?

Will the Q4 2005 be finished before the Q1 feed 2006 ??

BM has low priorities for me, because there are always are problems with the feed. How hard is it to get a feed from your database, or are you typing the items one by one. Hire a programmer to create a script for making a feed of your existing database.

To my surprise you are still changing the url's with every feed. You are doing this from day one. Nobody is doing this, except BM. You don't understand the problems this is causing. It takes a long time to get in search engines and by changing them every quarter, you / we loose a lot of sales.

And very often many prices are allready outdated as soon as the feed is out.

Question
    will this affect the results of the PSC? it depends on the feed, too.

61 days left in the quarter and counting...
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by Uphill
    Will the Q4 2005 be finished before the Q1 feed 2006 ??

BM has low priorities for me, because there are always are problems with the feed. How hard is it to get a feed from your database, or are you typing the items one by one. Hire a programmer to create a script for making a feed of your existing database.

To my surprise you are still changing the url's with every feed. You are doing this from day one. Nobody is doing this, except BM. You don't understand the problems this is causing. It takes a long time to get in search engines and by changing them every quarter, you / we loose a lot of sales.

And very often many prices are allready outdated as soon as the feed is out.
    I would say there will be outdated prices as soon as we get the feed, there always are in the few products I actually promote for them. I would make them a lot more money if they actually got serious about their affiliate program.

I think they are serious about their affiliate program. They have a forum, they always respond in the forum, they respond to emails and they pay a decent percentage.

But their feed is a continues problem. Most of the time it is late, partly outdated and changing of url's. I think they also change their product ID every feed.

Some companies have more feeds which are updated daily. How hard is it to get 4 proper feeds each year. They must have a database for their products. The only thing they need to do is to create an easy way of creating feeds from this database.

Quote Originally Posted by Uphill

But their feed is a continues problem. Most of the time it is late, partly outdated and changing of url's. I think they also change their product ID every feed.

Some companies have more feeds which are updated daily. How hard is it to get 4 proper feeds each year. They must have a database for their products. The only thing they need to do is to create an easy way of creating feeds from this database.
    Ok, here goes................

The product IDs do not change with each quarter. We have some new products, and some discontinued products, but the ones that remain do not change.

Back a few years ago, we identified the items in our feed by the database row, which we had quickly and subsequently modified and since then we now identify items by their part number in the URL which does not change.

What you might be referring to if you noticed product IDs change in the last year is that, back in February (if I have my dates correct), we released a completely new shopping cart technology, literally rewritten from the ground up, and deployed one late evening with the flip of a switch.

The URL styles from the these two systems was definately different and we knew we had an issue on our hand from the start, that if we didn't support both style links, we would disrupt quite a large body of territory.

We elected to support BOTH the old style product IDs and the new style product IDs for a certain duration of time, which would prevent all of our affiliate's links from breaking.

Knowing that supporting both old and new style links somewhat would somewhat undermine some of the performance gains of the new system, as planned, we released the datafeed with the NEW STYLE url so that affiliates who updated would have our latest URL style, yet the old style would still work fine.

The main issue we have had to date has been the format of the feed changing. Even an ever so slight change effects a lot of people as our feed is in a lot of places, using a lot of custom scripts, and off the shelf scripts.

Unfortunately, we don't know how everyone has written their scripts, so we can't fully understand what changes might blow up an entire method. For instance if we added a new column that is useful for our feed, guess what? Certain scripts blow up. If an underscore drops out of a column name, that tends to cause its own problems.

Some of the feed format changes were as a result of our new system deployment, and some are due to enhancements, or just plain missing a detail.

It's not fun for anyone when the feed causes these issues, and we continue to work towards standardizing as best as possible.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

9. Newsletter Signup