ICANN, Domain Names, and Privacy
    How many of you put up your correct personal information on the ICANN registry when you register your domain?

ICANN says if you put up false information, it is grounds for losing your domain name.

But that offers no privacy for the registrant at all. We need to provide our names, address, phone number. Geez, why don't I just put my bank account and social security numbers online while I'm at it.

I get tons of spam emails, mail, and phone calls due to my listing. I own www.widget.com, and I do not advertise my contact information anywhere on my website or IRL. So the only way I can get spammed is if spammers look up my whois info from ICANN.

I know there are these register-by-proxy companies that help you register. But what is to prevent these registeration companies from stealing your domain name? It is THEIR name on the registry and their contact info. Also, technically, isn't using a proxy service a violation of the ICANN's open information policy? /rant

How does everyone here strike the balance between being truthful and protecting their privacy?

Thats why you get a PO Box at the post office for as little as 50 dollars a year

I use my company PO Box and a free eVoice.com voice mail number.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Hi pokerturkey,

One of the reasons this is in place is because of spammers and shysters who would purchase domains, throw up Mickey Mouse as the owner and then do whatever they wanted with no fear of repercussions.

You can set up a single email address that you only use for your domain registrations. Once it is getting too much spam, close it down and open a new one.

For your address, use a PO box or private mail box. I've done this for years for over 100 domains and if I get two pieces of junk a week, it's a lot.

For my phone number, I had the phone company add a second number to my main one. It's only a few dollars a month and it's got a different ring, so I know which line is ringing.

You will get a whole lot more spam to all your email addresses if you've got Mickey Mouse running the show. I, for one, like the rule.

Ken MacKenzie

One of the reasons this is in place is because of spammers and shysters who would purchase domains, throw up Mickey Mouse as the owner and then do whatever they wanted with no fear of repercussions.
    This doesn't stop them. I've been tracking down site owners who have been hijacking some of my sites and a number of them have false or no information with no way to contact the owner and request they stop linking to my sites. The shysters don't care about the rules. If they did, they wouldn't be shysters.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Hardware and Michael, the P.O. box and Evoice suggestions are awesome. I think they are totally worth the money to ensure my little bit of privacy/sanity.

wyvern, thanks for that explanation. I never looked at things from that angle before.

Greg, since ICANN claims that false registration information is grounds for losing one's domain name, I wonder if you could shut down those guys by telling their registrar that their information is completely fake?

I got this from Godaddy last week:

If, however, your domain contact information is inaccurate, you must correct it. (Under ICANN rules and the terms of your registration agreement, providing false contact information can be grounds for domain name cancellation.) To review the ICANN policy, visit: http://www.icann.org/registrars/wdrp.htm

I just signed up for a free evoice account and it is working great!

One question, though: How do they make money? I have a free account and I think most people don't really need a paid account.

Greg, since ICANN claims that false registration information is grounds for losing one's domain name, I wonder if you could shut down those guys by telling their registrar that their information is completely fake?
    I did report them so we'll see if they do anything about it but I don't have high hopes.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerturkey

One question, though: How do they make money? I have a free account and I think most people don't really need a paid account.
    Good question. They'd might sell your address and other phone# to the Direct marketers and Telemarketers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

They really push the benefits of a paid account when you have a free account, plus they send some ads.

My eVoice voice mail message basically just says "Send me an email. I don't respond to voice mail."
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

you get spam voice mail form time to time

Talking
    I use privacy protection on most of my domains. P.O. Box and a pre-paid phone (which seldom rings) on the others.

Some goofy co. started sending me tons of mail trying to get me to switch my domains over to them.
    $29.99 a year? dont think so....

Ah, a little spam from evoice. I can live with that. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Greg, I hope that works for you. But, if it doesn't, I'm going to start registering myself as superman.

ABW Ambassador
    Greg, I hope that works for you. But, if it doesn't, I'm going to start registering myself as superman.
    That's ok, just make sure your address is listed as Kryptonopolis, Krypton, or you can kiss that domain goodbye!

Ken MacKenzie

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread