1 800 PetMeds site is currently down
    Just got this email...

To all our valued affiliates:

Due to the extensive damage caused by Hurricane Wilma the 1 800 PetMeds site is currently down. We do not yet have an ETA on site availability. Our offices currently do not have phone service, electricity or Internet access.

At this time all links will go through to the site but customers will see the following message "Due to Hurricane Wilma our Website is currently down, please check back with us shortly."

If you have any urgent concerns please contact LinkShare affiliate support at: contact@linkshare.com

We thank you for your patience and hope you will keep all residents of Florida who have been effected by Wilma in your thoughts.

Sincerely,

1 800 PetMeds
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Haiko,
    Thanks for posting. I was just about to do the same.

Kelli

Yikes, I got the email too and my first thougt was that you'd have hoped they would have had a back up plan. Even I have two servers, one on each coast just in case something like this happens.

Not to be unsympathetic, but everyone loses in this one...PetMeds, their customers, Linkshare and all the affiliates. And perhaps even the pets.

Hopefully other merchants will realize just what can happen in an instance like this and prepare themselves so their business does not suffer. And not just merchants in the coastal regions, something can happen anywhere.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    One would think an outfit that size would not rely on a single server in a single location.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The actual site is up for me just now.

But the email says no phone, electricity, internet, etc. Whois shows them in Pompano Beach, FL. It doesn't sound like it's just a matter of where their servers are. The actual servers seem to be up, at least for me. It sounds more of an issue of them being able to access/process/fulfill orders.

This happened to Oreck after Katrina. They actually operated and manufactured out of both NO and MS. They hurriedly had to relocate their entire business.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    1800Petmeds UPDATE
    **** Posting for the information benefit of the ABW community ****

To all our valued affiliates:

Due to the extensive damage caused by Hurricane Wilma the 1 800 PetMeds site is currently down. We do not yet have an ETA on site availability. Our offices currently do not have phone service, electricity or Internet access.
    At this time all links will go through to the site but customers will see the following message "Due to Hurricane Wilma our Website is currently down, please check back with us shortly."

If you have any urgent concerns please contact LinkShare affiliate support at: contact@linkshare.com

We thank you for your patience and hope you will keep all residents of Florida who have been effected by Wilma in your thoughts.

Sincerely,
    1 800 PetMeds

We are not managing or associated with 1800PetMeds in any way....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    You would think a public company would have redundant servers, in two locals

Bob
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pets Warehouse
    You would think a public company would have redundant servers, in two locals
    Bob
    It's not clear that it's a server issue. If they are not able to process orders that comes through the website, that may be the reason why they say the site is down.

In any case, I don't think it's appropriate to try to "trash" competetion, just because they faced a difficulty in which they have no control over.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Sami, that's my point they DO have control over this server disaster, do you think if Google or Amazon got hit with an office being down they wouldn't resort to redundant and/or load balance server backups.

If my business was located in an area with the frequency of hurricanes or earthquakes and was doing 24M a quarter I would invest in that protection.

I'm not in any way "trashing" them, only pointing out an error on their IT departmentís part.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Bob,

And my point is we do not know if their website is down simply because they did not have back-up servers. They probably do, even smaller companies have it.

What I am saying is that there are many other reasons as to why their site may be down.
    - No employees around to process orders
    - Warehouse(s) not functioning
    - Customer Service unavaliable

Many other reasons. Similar thing happened to Oreck, which is a better established biz than PetMeds, in New Orleans.
    Last edited by Sami B - Uncommon Goods; October 27th, 2005 at 04:02 PM.

Andy's thread of today merged and moved into mine of yesterday.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I suspect that most sites are vulnerable to things like this. Just look at WebmasterWorld.com.

This might make a good poll. I wouldn't be surprised if well over 90% of sites (even merchants) have all their servers in one physical location.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread