Datafeeds & CJ
    Hi

I have just signed up to CJ today - but seem to be misunderstanding somethings - I'll try explain.

Am I correct in thinking that I can promote any site which uses CJ?

How do I get datafeeds for the sites I want to promote?

Thats it so far - Is there a CJ for Dummies site anywhere?

Cheers

You have to individually sign up for each CJ network merchant that you want to promote.

Datafeeds are available via CJ ($100 one-time setup fee?) or often a merchant will make a feed available outside of CJ.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    You have to individually sign up for each CJ network merchant that you want to promote.

Datafeeds are available via CJ ($100 one-time setup fee?) or often a merchant will make a feed available outside of CJ.

Its $200

Strange that... I would have thought that would be free - why the charge?

Quote Originally Posted by aguawebs
    Strange that... I would have thought that would be free - why the charge?
    Because it is CJ.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Apparently they're charging for the setup and maintenance of the datafeed account. Their support is great! They usually make changes and add new feeds within 24 hours upon request. You can also get a datafeed account by doing over $10,000 in sales for a single month. It's a very reasonable goal.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I have a question about the CJ feeds. If i signed up for Buy.com feed for example, what would come with the feed? Do they offer all the products in the feed and how often would they update?

I don't know if Buy.com sends the whole list but it does have a million or so items in the datafeed.

Buy.com says that they update daily and want you to update your Buy.com promoting site likewise - which is why I don't deal with them, yet. So far they're the only one I've found that changes that often - most of my others are fine at once/week and some - once per blue moon

Charles

I'm not very sure but I think the Buy.com feed from CJ comes with all the products which is a pretty big file to download.

They offer an in-house feed where you can select which category you want to download.

The feeds vary. I had one merchant that I was very hyped about until I got the feed from CJ and it was just links to CATEGORY pages, no products. Useless!
    Tim

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I had one merchant that I was very hyped about until I got the feed from CJ and it was just links to CATEGORY pages, no products. Useless!
    I have one merchant whose feed broke my PHP code, and the weird thing is, I've checked it 8 ways from Sunday and it looks fine to me--I can't find anything goofy about it at all

Whatever it is, it's something they did within the last month.
    I just may take the easy way out and whack their listings out of my big feed. They'll still have their section that I've got on another site, that I still use WebMerge on.

Also I'm pissed at that particular merchant for something else, so I'm not too inclined to spend any more of my neurons trying to figure out how in the farge they managed to make their feed act screwy while looking normal anyway.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

i am new to the affiliate marketing game and dont know if it would be worth buying the feed yet. I just wish i could find out more information of what the feeds would include like if they just break it down to just categories like infoTim said or if they give specific promotions or new product info. Does anyone know where i might be able to start looking to get these questions answered?

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Hey Abestweb'ers!

Just wanted to let you know we do send our entire catelog of products to CJ and is available by category. We also provide a direct datafeed that's a little easier to work with! click here for more information:

http://www.buy.com/retail/affiliates...eed_signup.asp

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Melissa D. Salas
    Buy.com Sr. Marketing Manager
    949-389-2431
    affiliates@buy.com

Do you guys build php mysql sites using the feeds - or do you use another method?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to build a php/mysql site from the shoes.com feed - the category field is structured like this:
    Shoes|Mens|Casual|Comfort
    and I have no idea how to split them into main categories and sub categories

Any ideas? Or should I look at other alternatives

Hi aguawebs,

I think you can use Excel, cut the whole column into a seperate sheet and goto Data and Text to Columns and choose the delimiter as pipe(|) and it will be broken down to seperate columns. Hope that helps.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have one merchant whose feed broke my PHP code, and the weird thing is, I've checked it 8 ways from Sunday and it looks fine to me--I can't find anything goofy about it at all
    That one mysteriously started working again last week. I wonder if it'll keep on working right, now...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by aguawebs
    Do you guys build php mysql sites using the feeds - or do you use another method?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to build a php/mysql site from the shoes.com feed - the category field is structured like this: and I have no idea how to split them into main categories and sub categories

Any ideas? Or should I look at other alternatives
    I use PHP and mySQL to handle my feeds. For the Shoes|Mens|Casual|Comfort category structure I'd use something like this:

Code:
    $categories = $datafeed[X];
    list($Cat1, $Cat2, $Cat3, $Cat4) = split("\|", $categories);
    The X in the datafeed array should be the number associated with this particular column.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Is $200 a one time fee? or do they charge it for every feed.

Quote Originally Posted by snay0
    Is $200 a one time fee? or do they charge it for every feed.
    One time.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

It's a one time fee, plus you don't actually pay it, your account just gets set to negative $200. I imagine if it's negative for too long they might ask for a payment, dunno.
    Tim

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread