Strange Results from Amazon
    If we use this:
    <SCRIPT SRC="/cgi-bin/ae.pl?script&type=search&mode=books&keyword=Cheryl+Peck&grid=c:1,r:9,at,p"></SCRIPT>

Amazon sometimes gives us books by other authors that have a similar name, or the same last name, etc. How can we get rid of the books we don't want to appear here that don't belong to this author?

Instead of:

type=search&mode=books&keyword=Cheryl+Peck

use:

authorsearch=Cheryl+Peck

or

authorsearch=Peck,+Cheryl

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

I tried this and still get the same books because both authors have identical names. The only thing that would help is if one used a middle initial but don't see one. Rather than have the wrong books listed with the author I decided it might be best to just list the books for this author(asinsearch). The only problem here is when she comes out with a new book it will not be listed unless I manually remember to go back and update it. I guess that's all I can do for now unless someone can think of something else. I tried an asin search like this but it didn't work. Tell me what I am doing wrong.
    <SCRIPT SRC="/cgi-bin/ae.pl?asinsearch=0446693731,0446692298,0446693952&grid=c:1,r:9,at,p"></SCRIPT>

You're using a <SCRIPT> tag so add "script" to the parameter list (you can add it anywhere; order of parameters doesn't matter).

<SCRIPT SRC="/cgi-bin/ae.pl?script&asinsearch=0446693731,0446692298,0446693952&grid=c:1,r:9,at,p"> </SCRIPT>

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thanks. At least the correct books are now listed for this author.

You can narrow an author search to a particular amazon.com browse node by using a powersearch instead of an authorsearch:

powersearch=(author:Cheryl+Peck)+and+(browse:2442)

(2442? See FAQ: How do I determine the browse number to use in type=browse&mode=NUMBER ?)

You can read this expression as "author is Cheryl Peck, and browse node is 2442 (or one of its child browse nodes). Powersearch is only for books, so mode=books is not required.

Since the boolean operator is "and", the ( ) are optional but you can include them to improve readability of the expression.

However, ASIN 0446693952 is by author Liza Palmer; it is not by author Cheryl Peck. So, this expression will not show ASIN 0446693952.

You might also want to use the title parameter to hide the search expression on the results page (title parameter supported in v5.08.16-beta and higher), e.g.:

&title=Books+by+Cheryl+Peck

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

The power search works out much better because it will now update if she comes out with a new book - correct? Thanks.

That powersearch does a search for author Cheryl Peck in browse node 2442. As long as amazon.com puts her new books in that browse node, they will show up when you search that browse node.

If amazon.com adds her new books to other browse nodes, you can expand the powersearch expression to include other browse nodes. For example, to search browse nodes 2442 and 1234, replace:

(browse:2442)

with:

(browse:2442+or+browse:1234)

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

One other question - to determine the browse number I know it states to go to the page you want to display and the number will look like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/67240/ so you would use "type=browse&mode=67240

However, if I go to Amazon.com and type in Cherl Peck under books I get this address:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...711825-7665744 - I don't see anything like the above number.

Do I have to do something different to get an address like the one in the instructions?

As instructed in that FAQ, click on one of the books and scroll down to the "Look for similar books by subject:" section near the bottom of the book's webpage. There's you'll find "category > subcategory > subsubcategory" links to browse nodes. Look at the browse node number in the subsubcategory that is most appropriate.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Got it! Thanks.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread