Amazon Operating Agreement
    I am just beginning to explore the world of affiliate marketing and was checking out the agreements and compensation arrangements for Amazon, Ebay, Overstock, Etc...

I came across this in the Amazon Operating Agreement, "You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through the links on your site for your own use, for resale or commercial use of any kind. This includes orders for customers or on behalf of customers or orders for products to be used by you or your friends, relatives, or associates in any manner. Such purchases may result (in our sole discretion) in the withholding of referral fees and/or the termination of this Agreement."

Does this mean that I can not refer friends and family to my site to make purchases? I would assume word-of-mouth through friends and family would be a good place to start to test the waters before really jumping in, is this not allowed? I don't want to be banned as an Amazon associate before getting a chance to see what opportunities are out there.

Please advise... (Thank you!)

It basically just means that you won't get credit if you place your own orders through your own links.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

And I think they're also saying you can't have somebody buy something for you with their account. No idea how they expect to enforce that rule..

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

so friends and family shouldn't use your computer to place orders, or even use the same IP.

If they do detect what looks like you doing the ordering they just deduct the commission from your report.

But will there be a problem if for a while all of the orders generated through my site come from people with the same last name who all have addresses in the same town?

I assume that Amazon has affiliates so that it can generate new traffic/sales, but if I know people who are doing their holiday shopping through Amazon anyway, should I have any issue if I just have them click-through my site first?

Thanks for the quick replies!

I doubt you would have an issue, unless it's shipping to your address or using your email address or using your computer. Only Amazon.com knows for sure what they check, but those are the things I would suspect.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you for the help.

Can I ask how you got started in Affiliate Marketing? What did your first site offer (as far as content) and how did you go about getting started? (Did you become an affiliate for a certain site at first or did you join a network?)

Just curious about how the pros do things...

Hey Whizkid. Spend time reading posts in this forum your ?'s will be awnsered.
    I am a neb here, but there are lots of great people here.

I had a google click reversed because it originated from the same IP as mine...everyone in my area had the same local provider, I was targeting local traffic and so it wasn't me clicking but they still reversed. It is just too easy for merchants to take away the money without any way for you to stop them...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread