Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Exclamation My THIN Affiliate Site
    I did a makeover of my original shopping site which at one time got some decent traffic on affiliate sales pages. With the makeover, I easily have a way to keep track of page impressions for the home page without wading through logs and stats.

9 impressions yesterday!

I had some 5000 impressions and some 800 visits on other content-related pages for this domain according to my server stats! Virtually none of them went to the home page! This is sort of a "grab-bag" site that I test new products/programs with. The contextual ads are doing fairly well along with a lead program that has it's own section of the site. The shopping is pretty much a bust however - I have almost given up on shopping traffic on this site. I instead focus on a different niche site that I use PPC for traffic. It seems yahoo and msn have followed google in ousting such "thin affiliate" sites such as mine.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Howdy Cheesehead, same here with the thin site thing... It's a sad, sad, state of affairs on my site too.

I had a new thought the other day: "Search Engine Algorithms = Censorship"... What do you think?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Virtually none of them went to the home page!
    ??? Nothing strange about that. When you go to a house, do you hang around in the foyer or go into the rooms further back? If there was a side-door into every single room, would you EVER stop in the foyer, except maybe once just to check it out? With sites, there's a direct door into every room, so it's quite typical that hardly anyone stops at the front.

The home page is probably one of the deadest pages on any site (contrary to common opinion). The viewers go to the pages with what they want on them. And SEs prefer to direct people to specific pages, too--not the home page. Just looking at home page stats won't give an accurate picture of ANY type of site. You need to have your counter on ALL the shopping pages to make an accurate comparison.

The thing is, the home page of a site is often way too general to SEO well. Say you have a content site about woodworking. On your front page, you may mention: How to use a lathe, sanding techniques, finish types, wood varieties, etc. That's a lot of keywords to try to hit. So, you end up with the back pages ranking, because they are probably dedicated to just one thing. A page about lathe use, a page about various woods, a different page with sanders...

Same thing applies with a Tastefully Svelte (TM) (aka "thin") affiliate sales site. The front page will usually have lots of different stores or categories listed. Too many keywords for engines to figure out which one is important!! But the back pages usually have just one product each, or perhaps one tightly-related category (for instance, a bunch of porcelain teacups). Same as with the woodworking content, it's easier for those to rank because the relevant keywords/phrases are easy for the engine to pick out.

I had some 5000 impressions and some 800 visits on other content-related pages
    It's not a matter of if they're "content-related" or not, it's that the viewers were going to the more-specific pages rather than what is likely the most general page (the home page).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Credit card debt
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I did a makeover of my original shopping site which at one time got some decent traffic on affiliate sales pages. With the makeover, I easily have a way to keep track of page impressions for the home page without wading through logs and stats.

9 impressions yesterday!

I had some 5000 impressions and some 800 visits on other content-related pages for this domain according to my server stats! Virtually none of them went to the home page! This is sort of a "grab-bag" site that I test new products/programs with. The contextual ads are doing fairly well along with a lead program that has it's own section of the site. The shopping is pretty much a bust however - I have almost given up on shopping traffic on this site. I instead focus on a different niche site that I use PPC for traffic. It seems yahoo and msn have followed google in ousting such "thin affiliate" sites such as mine.
    From what I hear and see, credit card debt is at an altime high, interest rates climbing, mainly to to fuel prices.A lot of local mearchants around here are going beely up,could be a blue holiday,maybe i January.
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

I had a new thought the other day: "Search Engine Algorithms = Censorship"... What do you think?
    Sure, I think the SEs are commie b*stards at least when it comes to aff sites.

But I really don't see anything odd in a lack of visits to a site's home page.

My index page on most of my sites is the most visited page. I guess that's because I get most of my traffic from return vistors, word of mouth, and referrals rather than natural or paid search.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    >return vistors

That is the key in this BIZ.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Most of my site's main pages are the least trafficked. Specific inside pages consistently generate the most SE action and sales so I concentrate on making those pages convert. No one really cares about my blabbering on the intro pages ... they want the meat of content about specific aspects of the site and information they're looking for. It's fine by me, as long as my overall site is generating the traffic necessary to make sales. Knowing which pages are being visited and from where the SE traffic is coming gives a good indication of what people are looking for. You have to have a "home" page ... but it doesn't have to be your highest trafficked page to make money.

Once you determine which pages of your site are the heaviest hit, concentrate on those pages/keywords to bring the bulk of sales. Trying to second-guess the SEs would make me crazy. It should be apparent by looking at your stats and logs which pages and what content (or product) your visitors are looking for.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    >return vistors
    That is the key in this BIZ.
    That's why I do a drive-by browser helper install onto all my visitors that are hapless enough to be using Internet Explorer. It keeps 'em coming back again and again and again and...
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Homepage traffic is a clear indication that you're getting return visits and word of mouth traffic just like Michael said. Personally, I make it a goal to get the most entry impressions to my homepage. I'm sure Google, Yahoo, ABW, WMW, Myspace, etc. all get the most traffic to their index. You want people to find everything you've got to offer from that page with a single search or click.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Homepage traffic is a clear indication that you're getting return visits and word of mouth traffic just like Michael said.
    That depends on how you have your scripts (tell-a-friend, email-this-page, bookmark-us) configured.

If my visitor is interested in one of my *landing* pages, that's where the above scripts are configured to produce the return. All other areas of the site are referenced by the navigtion scheme.

There are no buy links on the home page, so get them to your good stuff.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

ABW Ambassador
    Here's a thought. Are affiliates getting less traffic to their affiliate pages because Google hates affiliates or are they getting less traffic because everyday millions of pages are uploaded, more competition comes online everyday and there is only so much room on page 1. Google hates affiliates or your competition hates you. Maybe a little of both. Are the pages you making the same pages every other affiliate is making? Are you using a feed or product links that are available to every other affiliate? Only 10 spots on page 1. Something else to think about. Not all merchants have feeds and/or product links available but they all sell products. Now whose going to make product pages for merchants that don't have product links or feeds? Me

Right on Trusty.

Chances are very slim that I can be on page 1 for my index page. Chances are good that I will be in the top 10 for product-page specific keywords.

A datafeed is only a tool (the NYC phone book is such a tool) . Used with common sense and good skills you can produce unique static pages with links to specific products.

A feed site that is just slapped up there with no customization is only clogging up the net.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

I dont want people on my index page at all, No money to be made on any of them. people dont search for widgets they search for blue widgets. blue widgets also pays 10x the amount than widgets when it comes to web3.0 contexual marketing.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I love home page hits for my content sites. More often than not I get them because someone blogged about the site, put it in their links section, return visitor (my best site has about a 46% bookmark take, for what it's worth) etc etc. I get deep entries from the search engines, when they latch on to good articles like grim death (the widget vs. blue widget scenario).

That's why I do a drive-by browser helper install onto all my visitors that are hapless enough to be using Internet Explorer. It keeps 'em coming back again and again and again and...
    Kidding right??
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

He's kidding. Consultants don't need that kind of traffic

Kidding, yes.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I dont want people on my index page at all, No money to be made on any of them.
    You're missing the point of an index page. It's the doorway to the rest of your site. When people remember your site as an authority for what they're looking for, they'll go to your site and either search or navigate to what they want.

Consider Google's index page. It's totally useless (by itself), but people go to the index page and search. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 to 1/2 or more of Google's billions of dollars in profit comes from people who entered their site on their index page.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You're missing the point of an index page. It's the doorway to the rest of your site. When people remember your site as an authority for what they're looking for, they'll go to your site and either search or navigate to what they want.

Consider Google's index page. It's totally useless (by itself), but people go to the index page and search. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 to 1/2 or more of Google's billions of dollars in profit comes from people who entered their site on their index page.
    My index page is basically a glorified site map - all content and shopping pages are listed there and I do get considerable traffic to my "home" page but SE traffic is never to my home page, always to inner pages with specific content and product.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Michael Coley--Consider Google's index page. It's totally useless (by itself),
    It's far from useless! That's where the search box is. Google's a search engine above all else, so it makes sense that people find the page with the search box on it to be the most useful.

If Google moved that search box to some other page instead, nobody'd give a rat's patootie about its homepage anymore, and I'm sure their bookmarks would soon be updated to reflect the new "pay-dirt" destination.

People will naturally gravitate to the page that's the most useful to them. I can't really see an advantage in having that page be the homepage instead of some other one.
    Note that this opinion may change immensely, if I finally snag a #1 under "Shopping" for any of my shopping sites' homepages in November.

You're missing the point of an index page. It's the doorway to the rest of your site.
    There's no real need, except for purely technical reasons, to have a "main doorway" on a site. Unlike a house, every room (page) of a site is a door! If someone comes in on a "back" page they shouldn't feel like they came in through the garage, anyway.

TrustNo1--Now whose going to make product pages for merchants that don't have product links or feeds? Me
    I've done it, too, with mixed results. Under certain circumstances I agree, it can work nicely.

Here's a thought. Are affiliates getting less traffic to their affiliate pages because Google hates affiliates or are they getting less traffic because everyday millions of pages are uploaded, more competition comes online everyday and there is only so much room on page 1. Google hates affiliates or your competition hates you. Maybe a little of both. Are the pages you making the same pages every other affiliate is making? Are you using a feed or product links that are available to every other affiliate? Only 10 spots on page 1.
    Good general points.

Basicly all my homepages are KIND OF an "about us" page since I want the user to feel trust then surf thru the site. For me building the users trust is key to making money online. Then they can surf thru the BS and useless content I force feed on them. (Leader is gonna love that line lol)
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Basically, the index page to most of my sites is a column of category links, a search box, featured products or information from the site, new things, changed things, and/or other summary information that will help direct people deeper into the site.

You have to remember that there are (at least) two types of visitors to most sites:

1) Those who know exactly what they want. A robust search feature and/or a good site hierarchy helps get those people where they need to go.

2) Those who have a general interest or are checking to see what's new. A good category structure, great deals, limited time offers, featured products, most popular products, and new products can all help convert these people into buyers.

Of course most search engine traffic will be the first type, and they'll probably go straight to the right page (if the search engine is doing a good job). But the return visitors are often the second type. That's where your index page becomes important.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Looks like I don't need to chime in here. Michael's pretty much nailed this on the head.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    The thing is, the home page of a site is often way too general to SEO well.

... snip ...

But the back pages usually have just one product each, or perhaps one tightly-related category (for instance, a bunch of porcelain teacups).
    Hi there, I'm new here. I'm trying to learn lots of new things all at once. At least, it feels like that!

So, I'm wondering: if you're using blog software, does do a lot of tagging of entries in order to create such category pages?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast