eBay: Month 1
    Well, after a month of eBay's new commission structure, I have to say that I made out better under it than under the old system.

I had 7 leads this month -- not out-of-the-ordinary compared to prior months and to prior years. I have to imagine that getting an eBay lead is more difficult these days due to so many users already registered. Chasing leads is not a sustainable business model.

But the bids were huge for me, especially the "all winning bids within 7 days" thing; that's how I made most of my money.

The audience for my site is made up of experienced eBayers. I drive traffic through collectibles, and people who buy collectibles tend to use eBay heavily. It wasn't uncommon for me to see one user buying 20-30 things in a span of a couple of days. And since those are essentially "found" transactions -- under the old plan, I was compensated for bids placed, not auctions won -- I'm simply making more money from those users.

A lot of the bids tend to come on low-price items, which is bad in some ways -- someone winning a $2 auction isn't really making either eBay or me any money -- but on the other hand those transactions made up a good solid base, and I always seemed to have some good "hit the lottery" bids -- where someone bid and won a high-ticket item completely unrelated to my site. It's nice to get a $2 commission for a bid!

I made close to $200 in eBay sales alone, whereas in prior months I'd see $50 tops, and often saw less (just $20 in July). So I more than quadrupled my revenue from bids, which more than made up for the 40% reduction in registration rates.

Ralph

Wow, you're doing better than I am (ratiowise). I've been quite pleased thus far. I hope it continues and that they don't f*ck with things too badly.

I'm starting to get to the point where there are real world tax implications to my Ebay earnings.

May I ask what your monthly traffic is in terms of pageviews? I'd imagine that the hockey lockout had a pretty big effect on your traffic. If memory serves, we were both with Burst before the bottom fell out of the CPM market a few years back... our sites are somewhat similar in that we both target niche collectibles.

I'm curious as to how CJ determines "Impressions". That figure is less than 50% of what my actual pageviews are according to my web logs.

At this point, Ebay is really the only merchant I push. ebay.ca and ebay.co.uk, while I push them almost as heavily, don't result in diddly squat; a few dimes here and there. I leave them up as conveniences to site visitors; that's about it.

Amazon gets me about $75 per quarter. Not a whole lot. Ebay.com does about 20x that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I'm guardedly optimistic about Ebay; not so much about CJ.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

The editor kit doesn't show impressions, so it's hard to break things down, but I got about 400,000 monthly uniques in October. That traffic isn't all going to the targetted area though. One of my eBay links shows 41,000 impressions, and that link should show every time the editor kit does (check my site -- I ask people to click on a link if they want to sign up for eBay, but also show the editor kit)-- that's a CTR of 15.4% and an EPM of $6.66. It seems like a low number of impressions given that I show about 10 million per month, but I can't find any fault in it.

The eBay program works very well for me because when someone clicks a "show this player's hockey cards" button, they are generally interested in purchasing those cards. I use the editor kit to show the cards for sale on eBay.

Okay, that doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that you had 400,000 unique visitors to your site in October? I'm assuming you are not talking about impressions at CJ since as you said, the editor kit doesn't track them? I'm trying to understand how you only made $200 with that much traffic.

I'm looking at your numbers and comparing them to mine and trying to understand the difference. I only had 21,500 uniques (30,500 visits) to my site in October. I also promote items that people tend to collect. I also had the highest bookmark rate I've ever seen ... 11% of the visitors.

Not bragging here, but just comparing to what you guys have said. Okay, so this is how I did (still waiting for Winning Bids for 10/30 & 10/31 to post): I had 24 active registrations ($288). That's about average. I usually have between 20 and 30 per month. My commissions from bids/BINs so far are $317, for a total of $605, which is about a $100 increase over September. (Strangely enough, I also made $605 at Amazon in October.)

Of course, it was a very nice surprise the day that somebody did a BIN on a Rolex watch and I made a $40 commission, especially considering the fact that I don't promote watches, Rolex or otherwise.

I forgot to mention that those numbers are in spite of the Bids/BINs, which I should have been paid for buy wasn't that I've identified as problems with the tracking.

By the way, Jarrod posted today at the eBay forum, "... we are definitely making headway in the tracking issue and should have more to report very soon."

I hope that report includes posting my missing transactions and paying me for the sales.

I'm way behind you guys but Google took a disliking to me and dropped my traffic by about 1/4 last month.

anyway, I had 13k unique visitors. just over $100.00 in winning Bids and only 1 active Reg.. The Registrations are funny for me. I will get a dozen one month and then none the next.. In fact, I will get 4 or 5 in row and then quite for about 30 days.. very odd.

I read Jarod's post on ebay and started checking my stats.. the first half of the month I was averaging about $5 a day in winning bids, the last half I was averaging just over $1. I hope we get this squared and income picks up..

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Okay, that doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that you had 400,000 unique visitors to your site in October? I'm assuming you are not talking about impressions at CJ since as you said, the editor kit doesn't track them? I'm trying to understand how you only made $200 with that much traffic.

I'm looking at your numbers and comparing them to mine and trying to understand the difference. I only had 21,500 uniques (30,500 visits) to my site in October. I also promote items that people tend to collect. I also had the highest bookmark rate I've ever seen ... 11% of the visitors.

Not bragging here, but just comparing to what you guys have said. Okay, so this is how I did (still waiting for Winning Bids for 10/30 & 10/31 to post): I had 24 active registrations ($288). That's about average. I usually have between 20 and 30 per month. My commissions from bids/BINs so far are $317, for a total of $605, which is about a $100 increase over September. (Strangely enough, I also made $605 at Amazon in October.)

Of course, it was a very nice surprise the day that somebody did a BIN on a Rolex watch and I made a $40 commission, especially considering the fact that I don't promote watches, Rolex or otherwise.
    You're right Tracy. That seemed to be an awful lot of uniques for (relatively) small payoff.

My conversion numbers aren't as impressive as yours, but are closer to yours than Ralph's.

One of the problems I run into is that awstats reports completely different numbers from webalyzer, both using the same log files. ???

According to awstats, in October I had approximately 50,000 uniques (92,000 visits). This translated into 28 ACRUs ($336) + $484 revenue share = $820 from Ebay (some numbers still to come from yesterday).

My previous high month was $515.

Quote Originally Posted by martyogelvie
    I read Jarod's post on ebay and started checking my stats.. the first half of the month I was averaging about $5 a day in winning bids, the last half I was averaging just over $1. I hope we get this squared and income picks up..
    I don't see a pattern re: first half of month vs. second half. My numbers bounce around from day to day. Worst day was $7.00 total. Best day was about $60.00.

We're still early on in the new system, so it's hard to draw conclusions from the numbers at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    I forgot to mention that those numbers are in spite of the Bids/BINs, which I should have been paid for buy wasn't that I've identified as problems with the tracking.

By the way, Jarrod posted today at the eBay forum, "... we are definitely making headway in the tracking issue and should have more to report very soon."

I hope that report includes posting my missing transactions and paying me for the sales.
    Thanks for the update, Tracy. I love the current system. My Ebay $$$ were tripled in Oct. Hope the reversals are going to be like those web hosting companies.

Comparing my uniques to the visitors who actually view the CJ ad is like comparing apples to oranges.

My site deals with hockey data -- primarily hockey players and where they are playing or have played. I'm using CJ to monetize a content site, and my site isn't designed to sell product via CJ.

Some of those players have hockey cards, and some people collect those hockey cards. Of my 400,000 monthly uniques, a much smaller crowd is actually interested in buying hockey cards.

That's how I can make just $200 in eBay bid/BIN sales -- because I doubt that even 1/1000 of my visitors are interested in buying hockey cards.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by fg20878
    ...Hope the reversals are going to be like those web hosting companies.
    I mean "Hope the reversals are NOT going to...".

after reading the message by Jarrod on the ebay forum today, does this imply that it's actually ebay that is messing the tracking up and not actually cj's fault? anybody?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread