Arrow Google adsense with other contextual ads
    Hello,

I have a brief question in regards to contextual ads running on a single webpage.
    Can you use Google Adsense in combination with other contextual ads such as Yahoo Ads, or even Chitika on the same page? I'm not too clear on TOS for Google on this. Has anyone had any luck with other types of contextual ads?

John

Anything else that's served contextually is against TOS. Yahoo is out, and Chitika has to be tweaked (see their web page for the settings).
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Tim is right. You are not allowed to use other contextual ads on a page with Google Adsense. You can however use Chitika in a non-contextual mode by supplying it the keywords to use (this is now the default mode). As an alternative you might want to use an ad rotating scripts to switch between Google, Yahoo, Chitika, etc. on a page.
    <A HREF="http://www.affmarketing.org/">The Affiliate Marketing Blog</A>: Check out my latest entry on "Affiliate Marketing on a Dime"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I fail to understand why this is an important feature of affiliate marketing. Leave these PPCSE "tricks for clicks" for forums totally devoted to SEM marketing and discussion on how to spam the SERPs. The thousands of advertising tricksters using site scraper content generators, then shoving PPCSE contextual keyword ads as the exit tool, are NOT affiliates. They are pure play Adwhores in every sense of the word, hell bent on refusing to even put up a web site with merchant creatives.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Have you seen Chitika mini malls, or are you just spouting off out your patootie again?
    Tim

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Yes I'm very familiar with Chitika mini malls and the entire history and concept behind it. I was involved directly in the very first impulse buying mini showcase network back in 1999. It would be interesting to see if Inktomi's owners have licenced the technology concept to Chitika. It was, and is, a great concept. We even designed "insta-purchasing" to keep the entire transaction process taking place right on the affiliates sites. I even pushed Overstock's management to licence the original and release it as a constantly updated creative to overcome their limited stock best selling closeouts. It was good advice not acted upon.

My barb was affiliates deserting this industry to chase the simple SEM gambling world of PPCSE with an automated template site trapping visitors into a PPCSE click exit. To trigger the multi-vendor contextual adds they have to scrap our site's content. Chitika is a useful implant creative into a well designed affiliate shopping page. Acting as an syndication agent for multiple keywords Text Ads makes one no better then 180Solutions, WhenU or Gator's searchbar hijackings. Only diff is your classified as too cheap to buy into a BHO PPCSE account draining tool. I've even seen resourceful SEM scumbags setting up their keyword pages to autoset merchant cookies with hidden 1x1 pixel page loads and delayed exit popunders.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, when you buy ABW from Haiko, you can get rid of the Adsense forum, but until then you need to STFU & start making sales, so I won't hold my breath. LOL

Wow first tiime I ever agreed with Mike!

I am a ppc sem adwhore it feels so good to get that out of my system.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    To trigger the multi-vendor contextual adds they have to scrap our site's content.
    That's a gem, there.
    Tim

ABW Ambassador
    Don't be fooled... Mike doesn't have content on his site that he didn't get from merchants he promotes & if he does, nobody could find it anyway...

I fail to understand why this is an important feature of affiliate marketing
    Mike - One example: the watch merchants that you promote spend in excess of $100 per 100 clicks for terms related to Seiko watches. How much do they pay YOU for each hundred clicks you send to them for the same?

Better to be an adwhore than a cheap whore.

To answer the original question about Chitka since abw is about helping newbies ~ You should bookmark a couple places one is jensense and the other is adsensechat.

These two places plus signing up for the inside adsense newsletter from google will increase your income by double. Just don't spend too much time there. oh the seo rockstars on webmaster radio http://webmasterradio.fm/index.php also have an interview with jensense creator and she talks about e mini malls in depth. Most all your questions will be answered there.

Experienced adhore ppc people like myself might want to listen also.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Mike: It is Google's responsibility to get rid of the scrapers, and they don't seem to want to do it... (Why would they?)

I have repeatedly told Google about one "search engine" (HA!) that does nothing but put up sponsored Google links for every keyword imaginable. And not only that, I get incoming search terms from their "site" to my site through the PPC advertising I do. And they are UNUSUAL search terms, several times a day.

How many TOS violations is that?

So until Google cleans up their own boat, or advertisers drop and do it for them, I will return the favor and ignore their TOS. And if they do eventually throw me out, so be it. I probably can make more somewhere else anyhow.

And until (when/if) I am building or running merchant sites, I will include AdSense on almost every page I write, whether I have aff links on it or not. I work very hard for my traffic, and a nickel is better than nothing.

Noth
    a nickel? I dont make a page unless it pays $5 You need to step it up my friend.
    Last edited by nyfalcon; November 2nd, 2005 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo

Hehe. They don't all pay a nickle. My point was simply that a nickle is better than nothing.

I think the highest I ever got was $364.00 for one click when Geno from Russian Legacy had a ppc campaign out begging people to help him get to 2000 posts at ABW... LOL

j/k of course Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I have repeatedly told Google about one "search engine" (HA!) that does nothing but put up sponsored Google links for every keyword imaginable. And not only that, I get incoming search terms from their "site" to my site through the PPC advertising I do. And they are UNUSUAL search terms, several times a day.
    TOS issues aside, is there something wrong with that? They are connecting visitors to your site, quite possibly from SERP traffic from MSN or Yahoo, and I assume it's profitable since you haven't banninated them from your AdWords.

Not a flame, just curious. Some people have pretty strong opinons about certain types of adsense sites & I'm trying to puzzle that out.

Obviously, scraping content from other sites is bad, but otherwise if a site is getting search results and it's getting shoppers to a site via AdSense that might have otherwise gone somewhere else, what's the problem, I guess. Bottom feeding, perhaps but it's still filling a purpose.
    Tim

I did Banninate them Interestingly, no difference in sales. My concern was (and it was buried in my post somewhere) that on top of having an AdSense search engine, I believe they were click frauding. I saw the same search term for them over and over again, and it was for a term that doesn't even register at WordTracker.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying.
    Tim

One more point I guess I'll make about this. In the scenario I was describing above, I was ranked in the big G at #11 for the key phrase in question. So that's page 2.

There were 3, count them, 3 of these Sponsored Results "meta search" (read Googlespam directories) sites in the top 10, including #1.

So, if people were disallowed from making those sites without valid content, I would be in the top 10 for the keyphrase, getting that traffic to a degree, and most importantly, not paying for it.

I don't mind paying for traffic. But I would only like to pay for traffic that

a.) I wouldn't have normally gotten
    b.) From contextually relevant sites, where the webmaster has worked hard to get his or her traffic there. They deserve my money.

PPC, since I do this part time at the moment, is a necessary evil in my affiliate marketing strategy. I will reconsider it when I do it full time.

However, I hate paying it to knuckleheads who use linking schemes and other crap to rank for keywords on sites that Don't Help the Surfer. Google NEEDS, and in my opinion, is OBLIGATED to fix that situation. They will still make their millions without those pirates.

I'm off my soapbox now.

By the way, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I believe our friends question was already answered however.

By the way, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I believe our friends question was already answered however.
    Yes, thank you Noth.

My question was answered a few threads back, but still enjoy the overdeliverance of information provided by you and the others!

John

ABW Ambassador
    *cough* SPAM *cough*

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread