Laptop advice needed
    Getting ready to buy my first laptop What does everyone reccommend in terms of specs? What I need it for right now is to keep tabs on business while I am on vacation, check email, check website, check accounts, check ppc acct.... In a couple months I'll get a heavy duty to back up my desk top and will pass this one to my husband so I don't need too much on this one. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

For what you're going to use it for, you don't need a monster. XP Pro instead of XP Home would be a nice option. A nice mid-range laptop will do. Processor doesn't need to run the space program, just make sure you have sufficient RAM. 256 to 512MB will do. Built in WiFi would be nice to have too!

Streaatz

Affiliate Manager affaction_chris's Avatar
    In my experience, XP anything is a dog with less than 512 RAM. I would strongly suggest at least 512 RAM for your mobile stat checker!

What Chris said. + Sony Vaio (even a used one)!

Yeah, XP is an oinky pig, 512Mb is a minimum. RAM is cheap, headaches are expensive.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I'm a big Apple fan. Went from a PC desktop to a Powerbook and it's the best move I've made in a long time. It's a solid machine that never has any sort of spyware, parasite, or virus problems. I think the best part is you don't have to deal with all those Microsoft quirks. But if you have to go with Windows, I've heard good things about IBM, Toshiba and Dell. Actually heard Sony has terrible support for their laptops.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Have to remember that she's only checking stats. It will definately NOT hurt you to go with at least 512MB RAM though.

Streaatz

You can't check Synergy Analytics from a Mac. :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

LOL love the term mobile stat checker. Nice to know someone understands me. I confess! I try to say it's mostly to make sure my sites are up & running but it's mostly to check stats. I'll be going away for 10 days I'd never survive not being able to log in and see how I'm doing.

Shopping around now. Thanks for the helpful advice. So far I decided to do windows xp professional rather than the home and at least 512 Ram. And now built in Wifi; wasn't sure but you talked me into it.

I see some of the notebooks use celeron M. Is that anygood?

Thanks again for the advice.

LOL Synergy Analytics gives me such a headache even my hair hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    You can't check Synergy Analytics from a Mac. :-)
    Maybe that's a good thing I don't think I'm missing out on too much.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Internet Cowboy
    I bought a mobile stat checker on eBay for $200 about two years ago. It is an IBM Thinkpad, 386, a whopping 32 mb of ram running Windows 98.
    It is a complete turd for doing anything, but it connects me to the web through a LAN connection. That was all I needed and is still all I need.
    It takes a year to boot up and almost that long to open the browser, but I have a stats checker for $200.
    Check eBay for something like this if all you need is occasional web access.

Wait until after thanksgiving and get a new laptop for around 400.

Go with a Centrino based HP

my powerbook purchase was the worst mistake of my life. Macs are horrible laptops. I regret it everyday. thats why I got a HP a month after buying my powerbook.

Affiliate Manager affaction_chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    I see some of the notebooks use celeron M. Is that anygood?
    The celeron is a cheaper alternative to the Pentium and all you need for Mobile Stat Checking and minor site work. I wouldn't spend money for the Pentium in your situation.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I'm a big Apple fan. Went from a PC desktop to a Powerbook and it's the best move I've made in a long time.
    I'd cast my vote that direction too, for all the same reasons (not to mention the clean style).

I have computers here running XP, 2000, 98, Red Hat Linux, and Linsire, but my two Macs get the most use.

Until Microsoft cleans up its security holes I generally don't keep mission-critical data on my Windows machines.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thanks for all the advice. Later today/tomorrow somebody on page 10 or so of a search engine will have a laptop sale

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    I'd cast my vote that direction too, for all the same reasons (not to mention the clean style).

I have computers here running XP, 2000, 98, Red Hat Linux, and Linsire, but my two Macs get the most use.

Until Microsoft cleans up its security holes I generally don't keep mission-critical data on my Windows machines.
    I guess you forget the 50 odd holes Apple patched up last month.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Thanks for all the advice. Later today/tomorrow somebody on page 10 or so of a search engine will have a laptop sale
    Very cool thing to do. You're gonna make someone's day. :-) Probably the only sale they'll see until next year. It'll keep them in the game longer ... either a good or bad thing, depending on who's chair you're sitting in. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I guess you forget the 50 odd holes Apple patched up last month.
    Not at all. As you noted, those were closed.

Most of the time when Apple releases a security update, the patch addresses issues that were identified in research but for which no known exploit was released in the wild.

There's a popular argument that if more people used Apple computers there would be more Apple-specific viruses, but for that to be true we would expect current exploits to be roughly proportionate to marketshare. But as it stands at the moment, the number of infected Windows machines exceeds proportionate marketshare by about an order of magnitude.

Neither OS X nor any other Unix system is immune to viruses of course, and at any time we may hear of the first significant attack on OS X. But the track record to date is pretty good, in no small part to the design of the OS.

I won't bore you with the details, but I've worked with Windows machines long enough to have seen some fairly bad decisions made at the design level.

We can hope that with the fresh start Microsoft is making with Vista, they'll at last design for security from the ground up.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I wouldn't go with Dell, I am having the worst luck with them. my old IBM keeps chugging along. Join a computer merchant and buy one off yourself (if that is ok with them)
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread