Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Fantastico
    What is it?

My hosting just offered to add it to my account for $18 per year. I've never heard of it and have no idea what it is. I did a search here on the site, but the threads I found didn't answer my questions. So, can someone give me a bit of info about it.

What does it do?
    Is it worth the extra expense?

Thanks
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Most cpanel webhosts offer this as a standard feature for $0.00 extra per year, even on cheapo $3-per-month hosting plans.

I have a cheapo hosting plan that only offers it as a paid addon. I don't want to drop the cheapo pkg because my account is grandfathered with unlimited usage.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Fantastico can be nice if you want to use some of the scripts, but I certainly wouldn't pay an extra $1.50 a month for it. There are plenty of decent hosts that include it for free. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions about it or hosts that support it.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    What is it?

My hosting just offered to add it to my account for $18 per year. I've never heard of it and have no idea what it is. I did a search here on the site, but the threads I found didn't answer my questions. So, can someone give me a bit of info about it.

What does it do?
    Is it worth the extra expense?

Thanks
    To actually answer your question... Fantastico is a CPanel extension that allows you to auto-install a number of open-source scripts... blogs, forums, classifieds, etc. It's a nice feature if you are not a techie and intend to use those scripts.

A complete list of the scripts can be found at: http://netenberg.com/fantastico_scripts.php

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Thanks John, That link explains it all.

hello Lectrickitty,

i agree with jrrl: those scripts suite can be... "fantastico" to install a lot of open-source scripts if you don't want to pain about configuration, installation, etc... i have just installed on a website of mine the phpBB system, and it worked perfectly at 1st attempt.

But, i am sure you can find an hosting provider who can provide it at no extra cost for you, just ask here and you'll find your solution

bye,
    nic

There are some pretty good scripts in Fantastico - ad banners, shopping carts, forums, live help, etc. Installation is as easy as clicking a button.

CPanel often doesn't keep the scripts updated with the latest versions, which surprises me since it's so widely used. Other than that, they're normally easy enough to update on your own.

Not sure if it's worth the additional fee, since many hosts offer it as part of their standard hosting package, and you can download the programs elsewhere.

Andy

Fantastico's license fee ranges between $20 (for a LOT of licenses) to $80-ish per
    physical server one time. I don't think its fair to charge customers for it, especially
    $18 per year... We give it away free on ALL our linux packages.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread