Pingoat-type service for RSS feeds?
    Pingoat.com is this really awesome pinging service for blogs. I use it personally for my own blog and it is great at updating all the blogger sites.

I was wondering if there is a similar service for RSS feeds for non-blogging sites. My affilaite site is not a blog, but it does have an RSS feed. I'm not sure which sites to ping and I was hoping there was a convenient service similar to Pingoat.

While I'm on the subject, there's two things I've always wondered about:

1. If you pinged a site that does not have your RSS feed already listed/indexed, would that site consider your ping a spam?
    2. If you accidentally pinged a site 2-3 times within a short period of time (say. five minutes) without having actually updated anything, would you get penalized or banned?

thanks!

You might find something about that at my grouplog. Search google blogs for isyndicate networks and look it over

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerturkey
    I was wondering if there is a similar service for RSS feeds for non-blogging sites. My affilaite site is not a blog, but it does have an RSS feed. I'm not sure which sites to ping and I was hoping there was a convenient service similar to Pingoat.
    I wouldn't think so. The RSS spec contains all the info needed for monitoring updates scheduling right in the feed itself.

While I'm on the subject, there's two things I've always wondered about:

1. If you pinged a site that does not have your RSS feed already listed/indexed, would that site consider your ping a spam?
    2. If you accidentally pinged a site 2-3 times within a short period of time (say. five minutes) without having actually updated anything, would you get penalized or banned?
    You might consider posting those question to the RSS Developer group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/

My hunch is such activities might be discouraged if only because bandwidth is a critical issue with RSS feeds already, and anything that increases unnecessary data transfer further seems likely to fall into disfavor.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thanks guys, that's the answer I've been looking for.

I didn't know RSS feeds contain the update info within itself. Shows you how much I know about these things.

Affiliate Manager
    I didn't know RSS feeds contain the update info within itself.
    There are multiple RSS specs, but most tools support the common skipDays and skipHours sections, which govern when a feed updated.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I didn't know RSS feeds contain the update info within itself.
    Just because there's a spec for including that info, doesn't mean the feed is actually making use of it. You'll need to make sure that your feed does indeed contain the update info (check the raw output, I'd expect that stuff'd be somewhere near the top), and if it doesn't, do whatever's necessary to include it.

I would imagine that this is especially true if you've rigged up some way of generating an RSS feed (perhaps by "repurposing" some other software) rather than using a made-for-RSS generation tool.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Hmmm... I did not think of that. Thank you for the clarification. This thread has been immensely helpful!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread