Question ideas re SE image searches?
    one of my sites is getting hit steadily with google image searches from the US and many foreign countries. what is getting hit are pages where a PSC is showing pictures of character collectibles.

makes for nice stats except for the fact that these hits don't seem to represent buyers.

1.) anyone else notice this happening?
    2.) should I be concerned at all?
    3.) if so, should I/could I block any of this in the robots.txt file?

I'm posting here instead of the google forum because more may have information here.

I dunno if blocking those is a great idea, IMHO, even if you can do it.

I try to imagine that every surfer is like my wife, meaning very impulsive.

She may use Google images to get ideas for home decorating or whatever, and then next thing I know there's no money in my checking account.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    1.) anyone else notice this happening?
    2.) should I be concerned at all?
    3.) if so, should I/could I block any of this in the robots.txt file?
    1. Yeah, I get quite a bit of that
    2. Maybe... when the SEs get fixated on the images, they seem to forget that the MAIN index is a better place to list my pages...
    3. Personally I'd ban all those image bots if I knew their user-agents. Even if they're not "bad," per se, dud clicks and moochers irritate me. I think Google says what their imagebot's called on their site, but I don't know about the others.

She may use Google images to get ideas for home decorating or whatever, and then next thing I know there's no money in my checking account.
    Lucky for the sites on the other end of that. But, unfortunately, the image-searchers I've gotten don't buy squat.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Here's the user agent name for disallowing or removing images

http://images.google.com/webmasters/remove.html

To remove all the images on your site from our index, place the following robots.txt file in your server root:

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: /
    Personally, I don't care for disallowing any of their user agents, it might be possible to just put a robots.txt exclusion on the /images/ directory instead. If that works, it would also keep the other engines out.

1) We get a ton of those from Google.

2) Honestly, don't think there is a reason to be concerned. After all, even if 1 in a hundred of those viewing the images, goes to the actual website (and Google does have a link for that in their image search, as I'm sure you know) - that's good.

Geno

I have a lot of original pictures on my sites. Most people who are using image search are looking for free pictures, often to lift for their own purposes.

The easiest way around it I find is to give the images cryptic names (preferably that mean something to you though) , instead of "grand-canyon" call the picture gr_cny_023 for instance, they then figure very poorly in the SE's and you don't have to worry about the bots ignoring those ignore-this-page instructions.

Isn't it sweet how the SE's will refuse to display some sites for regular searches, but they'll use you as a handy tool to build their pics database?

well, it doesn't hit my bandwidth too hard because I don't host the actual images. Guess I won't put any blocks up, but it does skew the stats a bit.

fortunately it is happening at only one site. and yes, I'd like to see some bookmarks or buyers come of this.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    Isn't it sweet how the SE's will refuse to display some sites for regular searches, but they'll use you as a handy tool to build their pics database?
    oh, yeah . . . and I bet picture-search doesn't compare notes with regular google-search. [feature request?]

What I find irritating is when the end-user hot links to my images in forum posts and, even more irksome, ebay auctions. In the case of the auctions I sometimes swap out the images with one advertising the site hosting the image...

On the other hand, I've often wondered if a page on a certain topic, on another IP block, calling an image off my domain about a similar topic might eventually make its way into the page rank algo. It wasn't part of the early white papers, but who knows where they'll go next?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

You could consider watermarking your image with your URL or logo, so - at least - you'd get a bit of brand recognition out of it and it would stop a few folks from using your images for their own purposes...

Paul

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread