Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry An Affiliate Referred Themselves to Me?
    Just pulled up:

REPORTS :: 2-TIER REPORT

...and found that one of my affiliates referred himself/herself to me. How could this be? Must be some trick here, as in case with this affiliate, I end up paying both him + then him again (but on the 2nd tier). Not sure I'm happy about it.

Can anyone at SaS explain?

Geno

Internet Cowboy
    Don't think for a second on a two tier program that this does not happen 90% of the time. I for one prefer not to work with two tier programs. If you can pay X to the first tier and Y to the second, you should be willing to pay XY to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Don't think for a second on a two tier program that this does not happen 90% of the time...
    Interesting... However, I only see one "smarty" on the list that's done that! Is that you, UncleScooter?

I for one prefer not to work with two tier programs. If you can pay X to the first tier and Y to the second, you should be willing to pay XY to everyone.
    That is exactly why you see the range of commission and not a set commission in my signature. If you're active (as affiliate), smart and hard-working, talk to me. It's business, you know. You gotta talk to people.., gotta negotiate... Then you will succeed.

Now. Getting back to my question. Is this okay for an affiliate to refer themselves?! Not my understanding. I'd appreciate hearing someone from SaS on this.

Geno

Internet Cowboy
    Sorry. Maybe someday I will succeed.

Sorry. Maybe someday I will succeed.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Obviously this person isn't an ABW member, as anyone on here would know what a diligent, hard working AM you are, and not try to pull a stunt like that.

Scott has a point. I've rarely seen affiliates make 'appropriate' use of a two tier referral system. And merchants should just offer XY commish to all affiliates instead of using this system. I think that it is so easy to find affiliate programs these days, that these two tier setups are obsolete.

As for this affiliate, maybe you should boot them....? It's hard to cover this up as a mistake or as an "I didn't know it was wrong." They are flat out taking money out of your pocket.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Internet Cowboy
    All you have to do is sign up your wife, husband, brother, sister etc. and pay them a split of the check that arrives in their name.
    Multi-tier programs breed this kind of thinking. Don't think for a second that there are not ABW members doing this.
    I really see no problem with it. If you are willing to pay 10% first tier and 2.5% second tier, that gives me motivation to do this in order to maximize my earnings on your program.
    Brian knows my real name and is welcome to scan my account for this activity.
    My SAS earnings are growing at a huge rate, but not in multi-tier programs.
    Last edited by UncleScooter; November 2nd, 2005 at 04:17 PM.

Lightbulb
    your Terms of Service should disallow the practice of double-dipping. You'll probably have to add the wording and issue the notice to your affiliates, then cancel the sub-account.

or something like that.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    your Terms of Service should disallow the practice of double-dipping. You'll probably have to add the wording and issue the notice to your affiliates, then cancel the sub-account.

or something like that.
    Good suggestion. Thanks, Herb!

Geno

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Geno,

It is just an error, and has been corrected.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    It is just an error, and has been corrected.
    Oh! Okay...

Great! Brought up an interesting issue to work on tho'...

Thanks, Brian.

Geno

There was a post a few months ago about two-tier affiliate programs, and just about everyone would rather get X+Y%.

I know I contacted one merchant who offered X% on the first tier and Y% on the second tier and asked if he would pay me X+Y% if I signed up directly. He agreed and gave me a private offer.

Most of us are great at selling products, but not so great on getting other people to sell products. That's why we're in affiliate marketing instead of network marketing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I remember that thread, Michael. Remember it very well.

I have also said that I will give ANYone and EVERYone who asks the X+Y%. I think I've made it clear above. I love active affiliates, and it is them that I am here for.

Geno

You'd be surprised, but some people are actually earning solely off of referrals. Affiliate program directories!! I have one of these on my list of affiliates. They don't do anything, but send me affiliates, and earn off of them.

Geno

I've always avoided two-tier programs for this reason, and the reason that Michael and UncleScooter referenced.

As much as I see the potential for referral, there's too much opportunities for abuse.

I'd consider setting someone up on a "private" referral program, if it was someone I knew and trusted (like GoldenCAN), but I - personally - wouldn't open it up to everyone.

But that's just me....

Paul

Hmmm, is it ethical to refer yourself?

IMHO, I'd say no. Private 2 tier programs might be the way to prevent adding a spouse or whatever and profitting that 2.5% or whatever. it probably would give the merchant alot more control too.

Ok now, before anyone jumps on me for expressing an opinion, I'm using this as a learning tool......I'm hoping to launch my own merchant program and am just trying to learn some things first.
    Last edited by BrattyKitty; November 2nd, 2005 at 11:04 PM. Reason: because I have more spelling errors than anyone I know
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    hate to sound old... but

it USED to be about making links and commissions

now I spend 1/4 of my day protecting my links, protecting my websites, protecting my emails

and from what i read, am's spend 1/4 of their day protecting themselves from unscrupulous affiliates

wonder what the dollar value of that time is??

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    You'd be surprised, but some people are actually earning solely off of referrals. Affiliate program directories!! I have one of these on my list of affiliates. They don't do anything, but send me affiliates, and earn off of them.
    CLARIFICATION: I see one affiliate directory on my list doing this, several web-hosting companies, and several web-programming companies. I have no problem having them do this. In fact, I think, it's GREAT that they do so. My uncle used to say (he's passed away several years ago): "You gotta do what you do best, and be the best in that thing that you do". That's 100% applicable here. Some join to sell, others join to promote to those that will join to sell (because that's what they do best). This is the reason why I believe 2-tier programs are good. However, in light of everything is being said by affiliates around ABW about them, I have...

...a question to y'all: would you say it'd be best to limit the referral part to select affiliates (like the above-mentioned ones), and let all others (those that sell) have the X+Y% (or rather X%+Y% - a % of the 2nd tier % [to compensate for that part that will join (or has already joined) through the 2nd tier])?

I also wonder if this (selectivity in approving for the 2nd tier) is technically doable at SaS. Brian?

Geno

I also wonder if this (selectivity in approving for the 2nd tier) is technically doable at SaS. Brian?

I'd like to know this too....

Paul

Question
    Just pulled up:

REPORTS :: 2-TIER REPORT

...and found that one of my affiliates referred himself/herself to me. How could this be? Must be some trick here, as in case with this affiliate, I end up paying both him + then him again (but on the 2nd tier). Not sure I'm happy about it.

Can anyone at SaS explain?

Geno

and

I have also said that I will give ANYone and EVERYone who asks the X+Y%. I think I've made it clear above. I love active affiliates, and it is them that I am here for.
    so what was the problem in the first place?

See, Herb, if an affiliate is very diligent, I can offer him/her 13%. But then if he/she (after this increase) goes and refers himself/herself and "earns off of" the 2nd level too, it makes me feal cheated (to say the least)... Do I make sense?

Geno

Internet Cowboy
    It sounds to me like you are trying to play both sides of the fence here when maybe you should do one or the other. You either have a second tier or you don't. If you pay an affiliate 13%, does that mean they can't sign others up under them? Does is really matter if it is their wife or a stranger? If you are willing to build the expense into the sale, I can't imagine why it would make a difference where the sale comes from.

Hmmmm..... You're probably right, Scooter... I have to think on it...

Cool
    Geno: I do see what you mean. You can't complain until the possibility is taken care of in your TOS, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Geno: I do see what you mean. You can't complain until the possibility is taken care of in your TOS, though.
    You are right. Will take care of it shortly.

Geno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast