What to do with 1million page views...?
    Hi all,

I just started helping out with a friend's site. The site's just undergone some re-tooling and is now growing rapidly. At today's rates, he's sitting on close to a million page views a month, which to me seems pretty good.

The site is also extremely sticky. The average visitor session is 15 pages. So far, so good. Unfortunately, the audience is not the biggest bunch of online shoppers on the planet - that I can tell anyway.

Think 15-30 years old, punk, goth, indie, piercings, emo, skateboards, angry music, band t-shirts, band posters, xanga, livejournal, artsy, alterna-teens, etc.

The potential for branding campaigns seems huge, CPM could do pretty well, even CPC, but CPA seems a tough row to hoe. Anyone know what converts with this crowd?

Thanks!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Hi all,

I just started helping out with a friend's site. The site's just undergone some re-tooling and is now growing rapidly. At today's rates, he's sitting on close to a million page views a month, which to me seems pretty good.

The site is also extremely sticky. The average visitor session is 15 pages. So far, so good. Unfortunately, the audience is not the biggest bunch of online shoppers on the planet - that I can tell anyway.

Think 15-30 years old, punk, goth, indie, piercings, emo, skateboards, angry music, band t-shirts, band posters, xanga, livejournal, artsy, alterna-teens, etc.

The potential for branding campaigns seems huge, CPM could do pretty well, even CPC, but CPA seems a tough row to hoe. Anyone know what converts with this crowd?

Thanks!
    Body piercings would be a good start. There are a few places on SAS that sell body jewelry. Might try AdSense ads to see what type of ads the keywords draw and see if they have affil programs. It would be a shame to let 1 mil pageviews go to waste.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks, Rexanne. Have a few of the piercing merchants from SAS up and a couple t-shirt vendors. Unfortunately none of them are auto-deposit (nor have any EPC history), so will have to keep a close eye on any sales. They've tried Adsense before w/out much success, but it may be the best bet for the time being.
    Eathan Mertz

If it is like all of that ( adsense doesn't work, non-buying crowd) and yet sticky to the point that they don't care ...
    http://www.popuptraffic.com/

clothing might work. goth, emo, punk, etc. you have to really dig to find the merchants. some want sales showing fast, but that much traffic should be more than enough. and throw in some military junk from the surplus places.

>>>just started helping out with a friend's site. The site's just undergone some re-tooling and is now growing rapidly. At today's rates, he's sitting on close to a million page views a month, which to me seems pretty good.<<<

too bad you don't live in my neighborhood

cozy, with so many of the pop-up networks pushing downloads (adware), I tend to stay away, but I'll certainly check 'em out.

Herb, good suggestion on the surplus stuff. As for your neighborhood, if the neighbor kids start riding their ATVs again, I'm up for moving...
    Eathan Mertz

How about Hot Topic for clothing, punk and hard rock posters for the youngsters. Feature latest music CDs and concert tickets.

LeDonna

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Contextual CPC advertising, set up right, could do very well for you.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

>>>if the neighbor kids start riding their ATVs again

prime toys for the parents, around here.

by the way, a lot of those goth kids are knife/sword collectors, and dragon /etc/ collectibles. hopefully they have a little income, but it is wish list time, also . . .

adsense was set up, but was it set up the right way for maximum effect. I know I would have Chikita emini malls on it too. set up a few ipod pages with that stuff and it will be retirement $$$
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    cozy, with so many of the pop-up networks pushing downloads (adware), I tend to stay away, but I'll certainly check 'em out.
    Hmmm, good thought that I hadn't considered; I just turned off some 10k popunders/day via my "parked" domains. Sorry folks! DAM%^@^ , I hate it when I find myself being STUPID yet again!

PayPal donations. They may look tough but they are probably soft enough inside to feel some love for the webmaster

Hot Topic is a great suggestion. How about some music merchants too? iTunes with Linkshare using one of their affiliate feeds on new releases that interest the visitors. Tower Records (Performics) would be good too. GameStop (BF) and DVD Empire (in-house program).

I also like the idea of a PayPal donation. How about each person that puts a buck or two into the PayPal pot gets entered in a sweeps to win an MP3 player?
    Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com
    email: [email="lwtompkins@styleforfree.com"]lwtompkins@styleforfree.com[/email]
    [url="http://twitter.com/styleforfreecom"]Twitter[/url] | [url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=625631089&ref=name"]Facebook[/url]

Exclamation
    >>>How about each person that puts a buck or two into the PayPal pot gets entered in a sweeps to win an MP3 player?<<<

could be construed as an illegal lottery.

Cell phone stuff?
    Piercings, music, and games have already been suggested. That's what I would say too. How about cell phone accessories and ringtones. I've never tried ringtones, because I fear they are loaded with spyware and trojans. But they seem to be very popular.

After thinking about this I would sell the site to me lol

This question is equivelent to asking someone if they won the lottery what would they do with the money.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Well, a million page views is bound to make money. It just takes a little insight and testing to find out how much money the visitors have and what they will buy. At the very least some relavant ads should produce clicks. Just have to try a few different ideas.

As far as winning the lottery goes, there would be no such confusion. I'd spend half the money on wine and women and spend the other half foolishly.

Try Amazon, they've a big enough inventory for you to find something for people to follow the link. There's also the fact that a large crowd of happy clickers will be setting cookies all over the place and some of those computers will be used to buy stuff from Amazon later that day anyhow.

I've a site (no where near the traffic though!) where I have a similar thing happening, when I started featuring attractive clickable stuff at Amazon, I started "selling" all kinds of other stuff I never thought of, it must be the cookie setting that accounts for it.
    I know it's not great marketing, but you should get something from it.

LOL ^^^

Thanks all. Great suggestions all around! I think, with the right merchants/products, some direct ad sales and a little demographic targeting (targeting by age, sex, country, etc) this is going to be a very lucrative site.

raywood1, any suggestions for ringtones programs? That strikes me as something that could work really well.
    Eathan Mertz

Have you tried AdSense?

It seems like a pretty tough group to monetize.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    What about dating or some of the 'hook up' services like friendfinder / passion.com . Some of these services pay on the unique clickthrough / ip / day instead of CPA.

charge other sites related to the theme huge fees for banner advertising. start with doing a search in google for the same terms people searching for when they come to the site. Go about to page 6 of the results and hit up the site owners. get some banner rotation going, sit back and sip your lemonade!
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

[B]I have ad sense on 2 pages in 2 sites,a dime a click,but I don't know how they pay, and if they have a level to pay.Some are photo ads,others toys,and a gifts center,they only respond to tech questions.+
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

Think 15-30 years old,
    teenagers to semi-young, men and woman..
    i would think, acne and people who are starting to look after there skin.
    Mmmm... a small skin care banner..
    it maybe a plug.. but there is some truth in it ???..
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread