Taking a road trip...
    Have any of you seen the movie Elizabethtown? If so, you will appreciate this.

The first week of December I am flying down to Georgia to help my mom pack up her things for her move here to Omaha. After the moving van leaves, we are taking a road trip to Omaha (in her nice Lincoln Continental Town Car, no less). Forget the interstates, forget the shortcuts, this is just a trip for the two of us and we will be doing it in honor of my dad who passed away in July (see the movie, you will understand).

Not going to museums or outlet malls or anything expected. I want to see a part of the country I've never seen before, nor probably ever will again.

So, here is my intended route and I would appreciate folks giving me suggestions for interesting things to see along the way. No, I'm not really looking for the biggest ball of twine or even the affiliate hall of fame (or shame). But I would like something that is either spectacular to behold or perhaps a bit out of the ordinary. Our route will take us possibly through Northern Alabama, Western Tennessee, Northern Mississippi, Northern Arkansas, and Western Missouri.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Elvis was born in Tupelo Mississippi. The tiny house is still there.
    Montgomery Alabama has a fair amount of history. It is a dirty town, but is the heart of the Civil Rights movement. Not much else in Alabama.
    Memphis is one of my favorite towns on earth. Graceland is fine, but there are also a lot of museums there like the Lorraine Motel where MLK was shot. The Rondevous in downtowm Memphis has GREAT ribs and other authentic Memphis BBQ.
    Just west and north of Memphis you will find Table Rock Lake on the Ark. Mo. border. This lake is absolutely beautiful. You can go out in a glass bottom boat and see the bottom on 20' of water. It might be cold for that, but Table Rock is VERY nice.
    You can't go wrong with Memphis though. Great food. Nice people. Lots to do. The Peabody Hotel is downtown and if you are there at 9 am or 5 pm you can see them march the ducks to or from their fountain in the lobby.

That sounds like a nice trip. Have fun and be careful.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sounds like a great opportunity for you and your mom to chat and explore.

Lots of interesting, off-beat tourist attractions and oddities at this web site: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Rhea,

Now you've done it!!!

I've been at that web site for over an hour finding talking frogs, Paul Bunyon look-alikes, chickens made out of bumbers, the largtest office chair, a nickol plated fire hydrant, etc. I'll be here all night!

Really, though, thanks. That site has a lot of useful information.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

That site is obscenely addictive.

You have fun 7, I'm going to bed!

Nighty-night!

Bumbing this up for the day time crowd to see and offer suggestions.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Lots of interesting, off-beat tourist attractions and oddities at this web site: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
    That's a great site. Thanks! I've bookmarked it for just in case I follow through with my 'missdonna discovers america' fantasy in the spring.

I'm not getting any younger (surprise) and I'm fairly familiar with the left half of the country, but I've never done the right half. I'm thinking of taking 6 weeks or so and seeing how the other side lives. If I do I'll hope to visit some of you and let you show me the sights.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by missdonna
    If I do I'll hope to visit some of you and let you show me the sights.
    Oh, I did not even think about visiting some of my affiliate friends. Hmmmm, free lodging, free food...

Hey, who want's some house guests in December???

Seriously, though, I should see if there are any of my merchants or affiliate managers in that area I can stop by for a cup of coffee.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

If you guys find yourselves in upstate NY let me know. The big attractions around here are Saratoga Springs and Lake George. Plus we're just a hop away from the Green Mountains in Vermont and the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts.

States I haven't visited (or at least driven through): Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky.

Some day hubby and I hope to take an Alaskan cruise. As for the rest of my missing states I suppose if I get there it'll be nice but I don't think I'd make any of them a destination.

Of the states I've visited Utah impressed me the most. It wins in my book for "Best Scenery." Louisiana wins for "Most Fun" and "Best Food." But Connecticut will always have the title "Best Place To Call Home."

I'm so freaking homesick.

Lightbulb
    if you'd like to visit the larger (multi-dealer, anyway) antique/collectible shops along the way I'll PM you the url.

I agree with the Memphis suggestion. We discovered it by accident this past winter on a road trip. Don't miss Sun Studio, which is right downtown. I thought I would hate it, but it turned out to be a highlight of the trip. Get some BBQ while you're there, too.

The road from Arkansas up into Missouri has Branson and lots of beautiful scenery even if you're not interested in Branson as a destination.

We found out this past winter that sometimes it's fun to just point the car in a general direction with a pretty general idea of where you want to end up come nightfall and then just stop along the way at everything that looks interesting. You can pick up brochures at most of the rest stops as you enter the next region.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread