Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Affiliate links- open in new window or not?
    When linking your affiliate links on your website, do you A: set the link to open up in another window(_blank) or B: have the link open up within the same browser window.

I have gotten two sides to this case. One being, if the browser opens in another window, that some popup blockers will block the new window. I don't know about you, but this has never happened to me and I have tons of popup blockers on my computer.
    Second being, if the link opens in the same window, the user may lose track of your website and you may not get your deserved commission.

I have heard mixed reviews on this specific topic. I thought that I would go ahead and ask what the prodigys in here do for their own affiliate websites.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated,
    John

ABW Ambassador
    imo
    It would depend on your website.

A product specific [TARGETED] domain should bring visitors that are looking for that product.
    No need to send them off in another window.

If, however, you have a more divers site you might want to keep that window open and ask the visitor to bookmark.

Todays internet world is so full of pop ups, slide ins etc that people just end up annoyed by new windows much of the time. Maybe keep any links opening to a new window to a minimum.

Opening in the same window allows for the visitor to use their back button.

I agree with what dollardaze said, for both of the reasons he mentioned.

I always make the links open in the same window.
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

I also agree that any popup is annoying to visitors. I started removing target="_blank" from affiliate links a few months ago and already I've noticed an increase, not in traffic, but in sales derived from sections of my site that I removed the target pop. That tells me one thing . . . people hate all popups, forced and otherwise. What we think of as keeping people on our sites is actually keeping them away. The few sales I was getting from a variety of merchants have increased and I feel this is a direct result.

What dollardaze said.

Also, not one of my serious affiliates has the links open in a "_blank" window.

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes ... last year I started coding all aff links to open in new windows to keep my visitors on my site, as was then suggested by the "pros." Thought it was working out well but now I'm worried I'm killing sales. Might have to re-do all links ... again ... *sigh*

Thanks for the insight guys.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Might have to re-do all links ... again ... *sigh*
    I try not to think of the thousands of pages and tens of thousands of links to redo. I've been doing it a little at a time. If I go into a page to work on a section, then I attack the whole page. I was wondering if there's an HTML coder that would do a search and replace to strip the target= tags. Anyone know of one?

Ah....where do you want the customer to be. on your site where they can't buy anything or on the merchant site where if they don't like the first thing they see, they can look around and maybe buy something? YOU DON'T SELL ANYTHING.

Our job is to get the customer to leave our site and got to the merchant's site where they buy things.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Does anybody remember the early, very early days of the web? Gray screens, no images, and all free content? Those *boring* pages were there when I decided that I had to get online. How many people online today do you think even shut off images and anything that gets in their way of the "information superscary highway"?

I never open in a new window. I want the people off my lousy looking site onto a more professional site asap. It is part of my presell lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I guess I'm in the minority. I always open external links in a new window (target="_blank"), and have never had any problems with it. I get great conversion ratios.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO. I am very happy that I asked this question before I went ahead and placed my affl. links.

********NOTE*********

For anyone who has already placed affl. links on thier webpage to open in a new browser, there is such a program that will go through your website and change all these links for you......and chances are you already have it........its called DREAMWEAVER. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Edit --> Find and Replace.
    2. Select "Find in entire current local site" from the top dropdown.
    3. Leave second dropdown to "text"
    4. Under the find field, type in "_blank"
    5. Under the replace field, type in "_self"
    6. Then click on "Find All"

VIOLA , your entire website is scanned and all your links are corrected with the snap of your finger.

If you dont have Dreamweaver, Im sure other WYSIWYG editors have the same feature. Look under the edit menu.

Thanks,
    John

I always open banner ads in a new window. But on my datafeed sites I tend to offer two options: a product link without a new window and a submit button that opens a new window. I think the users who will click the submit button are more likely to need the new window as they may lose my site. The users who click the direct link probably know how to open it in a new tab without my intervention. I may do away with the submit button some day as I just noticed Pricegrabber.com opens every link in the same window.

Personally, I prefer that any standard text link open in the same window. I don't always want to open my links in a new tab, but a new window text link forces me to.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I don't think people like having extra windows open.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I agree with adam...

If they came to my coupon site after searching for sears coupon, they get a new window 'cause they don't know what they want - and if sears doesn't have whatever it is, my page is still there and they can try target or wal-mart

If they came to one of my product sites after searching for "pink volleyball with yellow stripes", it's a strait link as I already showed them what they asked for

ABW Ambassador
    "Ah....where do you want the customer to be. on your site where they can't buy anything or on the merchant site where if they don't like the first thing they see, they can look around and maybe buy something? YOU DON'T SELL ANYTHING."

? They go to the merchant site when they click a link and it opens in the same window.

There are old threads about this with people trying it out both ways and they said conversions are pretty much the same. I tried it awhile back with an indy merchant who had the links coded to open up a new window and changed it to the same window and conversions were the same. Since conversions are pretty much the same, i open them up in the same window just because some people hate anything popping or opening up and people have posted some blockers block new windows, most don't, but why take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    i open them up in the same window just because some people hate anything popping or opening up and people have posted some blockers block new windows, most don't, but why take the chance.
    I also heard this in a few other places and it also got me to rip out any windows I could. There's enuf other crap out there that hinders cash flow to my pocket, so, if I have anything in my control that might help, I'm all over it. After all, what's the sense in KEEPING someone on your site if the goal is SENDING them so you can make commissions? Popping a window is like throwing up a wall to me. It really only benefits me while I'm on my own site. If my target=blank links have even the slightest chance of pissing off someone or can get stopped by the blockers . . . sorry, not worth the headache with worrying about keeping them. Target=_ripthe blankout

I think if your site adds enough value to be a unique and helpful resource it shouldn't matter what you do. The customer will learn how your site works and adjust accordingly. I used to be afraid to send them away through the same window, but if I did my job they'll have already bookmarked me. I'm starting to agree that we should open all links in the same window. It doesn't do anything unexpected and it's really the nice and acceptable thing to do. Most of the big companies are doing it this way, so maybe we should follow suit.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Opening in the same window. Thats what I personally prefer. But I do agree that in some cases like banner ads, opening another window might be appropriate.

-nishith

Before there were comparison shopping sites, people on a shopping directory would compare prices by opening new windows for each merchant or by using the back button after writing the price down. So if you have a directory site that offers general links, you might want to open new windows so they can go through the list of links without right clicking or without using their back button. A directory type of site might benefit from opening links in a new window or else they might get through one or two links, get sidetracked, and never make it back to your list of links????

Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by bwc
    I also agree that any popup is annoying to visitors. I started removing target="_blank" from affiliate links a few months ago and already I've noticed an increase, not in traffic, but in sales derived from sections of my site that I removed the target pop. That tells me one thing . . . people hate all popups, forced and otherwise. What we think of as keeping people on our sites is actually keeping them away. The few sales I was getting from a variety of merchants have increased and I feel this is a direct result.
    Its not that people dislike all kinds of pop-ups.

It's the fact that pop-up blockers, block both "USER INITIATED pop-ups" and "automatic uncontrolled pop-ups"

when the link has target="_blank" , its an user intiated popup, and blockers are not supposed block user initiated popups.

the problem is mainly with the pop up blocker itself, and the fact that many people are not tech savvy so wont know how to add a "good site" that does open any uncontrolled pop ups, to their pop up blocker's white list.

If you do want to use pop ups on your site, you can read about pop up blockers and how they work here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...up_blocker.asp

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by grafx77
    THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO. I am very happy that I asked this question before I went ahead and placed my affl. links.

********NOTE*********

For anyone who has already placed affl. links on thier webpage to open in a new browser, there is such a program that will go through your website and change all these links for you......and chances are you already have it........its called DREAMWEAVER. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Edit --> Find and Replace.
    2. Select "Find in entire current local site" from the top dropdown.
    3. Leave second dropdown to "text"
    4. Under the find field, type in "_blank"
    5. Under the replace field, type in "_self"
    6. Then click on "Find All"

VIOLA , your entire website is scanned and all your links are corrected with the snap of your finger.

If you dont have Dreamweaver, Im sure other WYSIWYG editors have the same feature. Look under the edit menu.

Thanks,
    John
    You can do the same thing with FrontPage 2003. It also has a find and replace.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Have you ever put a search box on your site and checked the queries that people use to find things? Just about half of all people on the internet are f###ing stoooooooopid. I've started opening links in a new window so that if and when the doofuses finally figure out and/or find what they want, there is more of a chance that they might still be on my site when the time comes.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    Have you ever put a search box on your site and checked the queries that people use to find things? Just about half of all people on the internet are f###ing stoooooooopid. I've started opening links in a new window so that if and when the doofuses finally figure out and/or find what they want, there is more of a chance that they might still be on my site when the time comes.
    Scary how many illiterates and dumb f*cks have enough money to buy a computer and Internet access huh? The trick would be to find out what kind of stoopid you're dealing with and cater to them.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast