Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry CJ Account Deactivated.
    So, this morning I go to log into my CJ account and I get a message like this:

Our records indicate that your account has been deactivated.

So I try again, re-check my emails, try another browser, check the date & cookies on my computer (this has been an issue elsewhere)... Nothing.

And their "contact us" page says to login to your account if you're having problems.

Anybody have any recommendations?

(EDIT)
    Well, I called them. I've spent the last 6 months building accounts, setting up advertising and working my ass off, but because I hadn't yet generated a single cent in commissions, they nuked my account.

Now, I realize that 6 months is a long time, but without getting the resources they have, you can't even BEGIN to build your site.

Not only that, but they can't/won't re-activate this account. So now I have to create a new account, re-join ALL of the affiliates I had, regenerate all new links and deploy them across my websites, and HOPE that in the next 6 months I can generate at least 1 sale, which will extend it for another 6 months.

I guess now that I have sites made, I can hope for sales. It's just about the stupidist policy I've ever heard. And their inflexibility is amazing.
    Last edited by Talus; November 3rd, 2005 at 11:37 AM. Reason: More info....

Good luck!
    Last edited by mellie; November 3rd, 2005 at 11:43 AM. Reason: You found your own answer as I was typing.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yeah, that's CJ's policy.

Actually as of last month with their new PSA, you have to generate a transaction and/or log into your account every 30 days or they can deactivate you.

My recommendation is make use of global find and replace once you have your new account for the new PID. You still have to reapply to all your merchants. Then be sure to join some lead merchants. At least once a month, generate a lead through one of them yourself through your own link. Be sure to use a throw away email addy for the lead though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Yeah, that's CJ's policy.

Actually as of last month with their new PSA, you have to generate a transaction and/or log into your account every 30 days or they can deactivate you.

My recommendation is make use of global find and replace once you have your new account for the new PID. You still have to reapply to all your merchants. Then be sure to join some lead merchants. At least once a month, generate a lead through one of them yourself through your own link. Be sure to use a throw away email addy for the lead though.
    It still cheeses my potato. But that's a good idea.

Don't worry, thing would be better one day, I met this problem too.
    you have to apply it again,and then one day you find something make you really excited,then many can't fall sleep night,then you on your way.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Interesting...didn't CJ respond in another thread that they reserved the right to do this but that it wasn't likely....? Hmmm....
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

It happened to me and it isn't pleasant. I repeat what I've said before - 6 months is not a realistic time-frame to start generating income in this business. Don't expect CJ to help you in any way. When they did it to me they kept the small commission I'd earned. I made such a noise in this forum that Todd finally replied but his comments were totally off-centre and not at all helpful - he said things like traffic is useless if you don't generate sales...it isn't a realistic business model to rely on free SE traffic...blah blah blah...

I would suggest you start with LinkShare. After you start getting your traffic going then apply for CJ.

Or apply to price runner and earn your self a lead once a month to keep your account active

Yikes...that means I get to look forward to $00's or $000's each month of wasted money on bogus leads on keep-alive's? It's a good thing we're seasonal!

ABW Ambassador
    You will hate me, but I think that the best thing you can realize is that your strategy needs some changes.

6 months without a txn is not a good thing, I think that you should generate something in 6 months or you are going in the wrong path...
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Fer
    You will hate me, but I think that the best thing you can realize is that your strategy needs some changes.

6 months without a txn is not a good thing, I think that you should generate something in 6 months or you are going in the wrong path...
    I agree. Except that I spent most of those 6 months building a variety of sites and had just recently launched a couple. No sites, no sales. No CJ, no ads, no ads, no site... It's a cart before the horse concept I guess.

I'll just have to work faster... Oh, my poor s.o. won't like that.

ABW Ambassador
    "Not only that, but they can't/won't re-activate this account."

That's something that never made any sense to me. If you contact them and explain the situation they should just reactivate. You contacting them shows you still have interest and it's much easier for you not having to sign up again and replace links and it could also be in CJ's best interest because maybe your site starts to get traffic and they could be hitting dead links, instead of working reactivated links which makes everybody money. There was a case in the past I believe where Todd had the account reactivated so it is doable.

Yeah, why can't they reactivate? It makes no sense.

What would ALSO make great sense is to send a warning message at three months and every month after that. At least ONE warning!

How hard can that be???

Quote Originally Posted by Talus

And their "contact us" page says to login to your account if you're having problems.

Anybody have any recommendations?
    More proof they're brain dead. Recommend thanking them here in their forum and move onto greener pastures.

Yup total PITA, but with the right software a site wide find and replace with have you back up after you reapply to the advertisers you want to biz with.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    Yup total PITA, but with the right software a site wide find and replace with have you back up after you reapply to the advertisers you want to biz with.
    Except for 2 factors, one which is good, the other bad.

1) Use is PHPAdsNew which gives me centralized ads, and I can serve them on all my sites. 1 ad, 20 sites, no problem.

2) I chose (foolishly) to encrypt the links, which wasn't necessary. So I can't just search and replace them, even through the DB. Unless someone here has more advice on that.

Jeff

This just happened to me yesterday. I just spent the last month redesigning my site after many hours of reading the forums here. I created some new pages promoting holiday specials and tried adwords for the first time. Generated my first sale Wednesday....deactivated on Thursday. I sent them an e-mail but as of yet, I have not heard anything.

KK

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You might consider it a blessing. 7 years of making Christmas cash with CJ merchants and the only sale shown since November 1st is the one I made for a domain registration/hosting sale with Dotster. That includes some GoldenCan showcases making sure the clicks are very targeted. My natural SERP traffic is level with last year and my page views have doubled. Someone kick that CJ tracking engine off life support.

Three times this year CJ did what they never did since 1998. Their merchants couldn't convert the minimum amount to get me and Charlie a Christmas check. Could it be their contextual partners have my site painted with a big URL target? The Christmas Grinch still lurks in the woodwork.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mike,

You are right, it probably is a blessing. I guess I was just a little irritated that I made a sale and was deactivated in the same week.

Easy come, easy go. Back to making more pages. There are better paying fish in the sea.

KK

I awoke to the same thing this morning. I checked the links and they are not dead, but I'm sure I won't get any credit if anything is purchased. Does anyone know how long they might stay this way? Just searching for a timeframe to see how long I have before I start have pictures not showing, act.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by Talus
    So, this morning I go to log into my CJ account and I get a message like this:
    ...Our records indicate that your account has been deactivated.
    ...And their "contact us" page says to login to your account if you're having problems.
    ...Anybody have any recommendations?
    ...And their inflexibility is amazing.
    ..."deactivated" - Join the club. Sorry, but that's the way it is - WITH THEM.
    ..."log in if having probs" - That statement, alone, should tell you something about them.
    ..."recommendations?" - Go elsewhere - quickly.
    ..."inflexibility" - More like arrogance than inflexibility.

I, too, called. They refused to reactivate my account, but suggested I open another account with a different email. So I did open another account - with SAS. In today's competitive market there are plenty of good people with whom to partner. Don't waste your time with the arrogant ones.

Hmmmmm.....

The deactivation policy is certainly reasonable, and not unusual. Though it is unreasonable not to reopen an account if the 'publisher' is interested enough to contact them with the request.

If you aren't able to generate a sale within 6 months, don't blame CJ.

FWIW it took me longer than 6 months to get my first sale (joined October and got first sale the following April). I had to make many changes to the way I was doing things before steady sales became the norm.

If you keep on doing what hasn't worked for the past 6 months, you can look forward to another 6 months without any sales, whether you are promoting CJ, Linkshare, SAS, or whatever.

You've got to step back and reassess what you are doing. Try new ideas and discard the old ones that did not work. Start from scratch if you need to. There are millions of peope making money on the internet and the only thing that can keep you from being one of them is you.

The likely real reason CJ switched to this obviously unfair policy is simple. They know there are people who are going to take the time to build hundreds if not thousands of links on their sites. They know a lot of these people are not going to read the TOS closely enough to notice the "rules" regarding keeping their account active by logging in or generating a lead within the 30 day time frame.

Add this all up and what does it mean? It means that there is a huge and ever-growing number of CJ links out there placed by people who can no longer get any credit for leads and sales driven by those links because their account was deactivated. So the question is, does the original merchant (Ebay for example) pay CJ their percentage for the sales or leads driven by these "deactivated links" while the deactivated web publisher gets nothing? If CJ is engaging in this practice, do the merchants know or care they are up to it?

I think a good question to ask Todd is "Does CJ receive compensation from merchants for transactions where the publisher's account was deactivated and somebody clicked on their link after the deactivation?".

If so, the whole claim that "they (CJ) only get paid when we (web publishers) get paid" is a baldfaced lie. Any by propogating that lie, CJ is engaging in a very serious deceptive business practice.

If CJ is indeed getting paid by merchants for activity driven by the links of deactivated publishers, I don't think it's a stretch to say that CJ is stealing from BOTH merchants and publishers.

And I'm not saying they are engaging in this practice. But I've seen no proof and read nothing in writing that indicates they are not.
    Last edited by drlolipop; December 5th, 2005 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo

If the link does not have a valid PID, the sale will not be tracked as a commissionable transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    If the link does not have a valid PID, the sale will not be tracked as a commissionable transaction.
    Interesting - but might a PID still be "active" for someone's benefit - even after the account has been deactivated?

Maybe some clairification (or investigation?) is in order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast