Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If only it wouldn't result in an IP ban...
    While checking my referrer logs today, someone came to my site from a forum

Hey! Who's talking about me and what are they saying! I click the link.

The question was "Anyone know where I can find cheap s"

Someone responded with a link to one of my pages.

Reading on, there are people asking where they can get coupons for Lillian Vernon.

Anyone know if Land's End has a website?

Zillions of questions that can be answered by visiting any of my websites

I'm this close to posting "Hi I'm Billy. Here's my websites. Hurry. copy them before the mod removes the post!!

AAArgh! An untapped market I can't approach!

I hear ya Billy . . . I have enuf trouble in forums without pushing it. Many moons ago, and I'm sure a LOT of others have at least tried once or twice, I tried pushing a really hot product in about twenty different forums and newsgroups. I found out real qwik how fast the door can slam in your face.

So, did you say anything???? C'mon . . . fess up . . .

If you have a truly useful, unique, and popular site, some of your customers will be fanatical enough to post about your site on their blogs or on forums that they frequent. I know I get new forum (and blog) links to some of my sites just about every day. Sometimes the traffic can be really good. It's usually fairly short-lived, but it adds up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree - I love the forums that post links to my sites and even better when my links are put in articles. But, like you said Michael, they are always short lived.

I have this one site in my logs that shows up month after month...some phone sex forum. I just won't click it - I am sure it isn't legit.

Billy - you could always join the forum and share you site everytime *they ask*! In my forum, if someone asks and someone else answers I don't consider it spam. If you were to go in and start the thread it would be spam. JMHO though.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

IF I say anything... it would just be "hey! That's my site! Thanks for the referral"

But if you go to the main page, it's an affiliate's coupon site - that also has a forum

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    One can make legitimate use of forums if they...
    1. Have an actual content site that offers valuable insight that they refer to.
    2. Only post their link when 100% applicable to the topic. The link should only be a web address and not an affiliate link.
    3. Don't simply use the forum as a "spam launching pad" but offer valuable content within the post itself. Also one should contribute whenever possible to topics where one does not refer to their website. Be a valued member of the forum community.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

But even then, it's often considered spam (especially if it's a new forum member).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    While checking my referrer logs today, someone came to my site from a forum
    Hey! Who's talking about me and what are they saying! I click the link.
    The question was "Anyone know where I can find cheap s"
    Someone responded with a link to one of my pages.
    It should be fairly easy to capitalize on that without spamming the forum.

Change that page so it's more inviting for the viewers to check out the rest of the site. Perhaps add some obvious and specific links to the other things that were being talked about in the thread, so they can't miss the fact that they can find it ALL right on your site!

Since s are such a cheapie item (unless you have some weird kind that uses gold dust instead of "lead"), you should be able to do better if they go ahead and buy something else on your site instead, so there's probably not so many worries about whether the people buy that particular item (s) as there would be if the page had some expensive thing on it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

i know of a few skin care forums where they are chatting about my brand.
    i have been so wanting to jump in and chat, when you see someone say
    [ i think i will stay with my own brand ].
    i think ?? get in and plug.. but i dont. i think it may turn them the other way.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

I'm wondering why the siteowner himself doesn't capitalize on these things with "Hey, you need a Lillian coupon? Use this (affiliate) link"

When I looked this morning, it said "Current members =69,000" and current members viewing this category= 1,960

That's a LOT of people he could be helping - and making a profit from
    Last edited by Billy Kay; November 4th, 2005 at 10:52 AM. Reason: i give up trying spell capitalize correctly

Oh this doesn't result in an IP ban on my site.
    How ever I will send you a BILL for 200 dollars for every post you make as its part of the Member agreement on my site.

If the info is bogus on the account you signed up with.
    Copys of your post go to your Host, CJ, LinkShare, Azoogle, or any other affiliate program you are working with.

And I will press them on the issue until they terminate you or something.

What's wrong with forum promotion?
    I don't see what's wrong with promoting your site in a forum as long as you are truly providing answers and making valuable contributions. If a question is asked where to find a product, then an answer listing your site is not really spam in my opinion. It's not unsolicited. It was requested.

It would be spam if you came in and posted a question like "Hey, has anybody tried out the mySuperDuperProducts at blahblahblogblog.com?"

Here we can put links in out sig's if we want to, but not post any affiliate links. That makes a lot of sense. I see questions here asking, for example, if anyone knows a good merchant for some particular product line. Answers with links to merchants are allowed. That's not spam.

All I'm saying is that you better read the rules of the forum closely before you jump in and answer a question by linking to your own site. It's agains the rules of many (most?) forums, and is considered bad form.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

if someone says whats a good site to buy a stereo from.
    You should link them to Circuitcity.com bestbuy.com or something like that.

You shouldn't like them to your site that offers an affiliate link to another site.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    i know of a few skin care forums where they are chatting about my brand.
    i have been so wanting to jump in and chat, when you see someone say
    [ i think i will stay with my own brand ].
    i think ?? get in and plug.. but i dont. i think it may turn them the other way.
    DO NOT DO THAT. I can point you to some classic flame wars that erupted from a certain MFR who did just that. He lasted only three and a half years before customers stopped coming to his site.

Those flame wars are things of beauty, really. Except a few umm, off-color-humor pictures.

On the other hand, I have some indirect links to my aff site in my forum signatures, if the audience at said forum cares about such a product. None of you care.

Thanks for the advice
    Micheal and Geek, thanks for the advice. I've never posted to a forum with a link to my site before. Oh, I've wanted to do it lots of times, but just never convinced myself that it was really proper. I always read and obey the rules for forums.

On one of my forums I have a rule that linking to your site is allowed if it is truly of benefit to members.

Here are a couple of items in my terms of use and rules:

2. Be polite. No flaming or insulting other members. Honest opinions are fine, but no hateful posts or disparaging comments.

3. Keep it clean. This site and this forum attracts a wide audience including kids and families. Vulgar language or profanity will be deleted. Don't post anything on here that you wouldn't want to be seen by your six year old daughter or your mother or your pastor.

4. No posting links to sites with adult content or sites with links to adult content.

5. You can mention your business or website if it is pertinent to a topic and if there is some benefit to the other members getting help or learning something. You can post a link to your site in your signature. But blatant promotion is not allowed. This is not a spam board for people to post ads.

I was just thinking it ought to be ok if it was answering a specific request. I haven't done it before, and now, considering the advice of you experienced pro's I probably never will. The temption is still there, but your wisdom gives me willpower.

Billy maybe the guy has 5 or 6 forums just like that with 69,000 in each. He would be way to busy to police his forums. I think Leader is onto something. Change the page or at least make it better forming to their conversation. If you join put my affiliate link there lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I say we leave paint shop pro open...

pay for a banner ad...

then make banner ads to match the posts!

When someone posts "Anyone know any Sharper Image coupons"

Within 2 minutes we upload a banner that says:

LOOKING FOR SHARPER IMAGE COUPONS? CLICK HERE!

And use MichaelColey's affiliate ID just to play it safe

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If your site is truly informational, as opposed to sales orientated, most forums do not mind you posting your link when it relates directly to the topic. A few object, but I just don't bother with these. If a forum is about topics a,b,c,d,e,....x,y,&z and I offer in-depth advice on only topic y, they usually welcome this since I am in no way threatening them or replacing them.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Forums are meant to provide assistance not a service.
    So if you reply to a post with a link to your site in the hopes of making a dollar then you are no longer helping someone your providing them a service.

If someone wants coupons for a merchant. Link them to Google or Yahoo.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Forums are meant to provide assistance not a service.
    If I place an affiliate link on my forum, that's assistance. If someone else does it, it's spam.

"Only the Admin may place affiliate links" is how I think I worded it in my Terms. If they want to advertise, they have to buy an ad or pay a good commish. And if I think it's some kind of unsaleable crud, they have to buy an ad regardless of the commish...after all, 20% of 0 is still 0!

Even though I gave myself immunity from all anti-commercial rules, I've kept my ads to my ad area. I don't think people would come if they thought every post would be answered with some kind of an ad!

On other boards, I have had my site mentioned but never in a context to buy anything. For example, once someone was asking what kind of sites advertise on TribalFusion...I had an ad running at the time (a couple years ago), so they said, "Sites like this..." and mine was one of the ones they listed. *Groan* Just what I always wanted, potential competitors checking it out...blah...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I say we leave paint shop pro open...

pay for a banner ad...

then make banner ads to match the posts!

When someone posts "Anyone know any Sharper Image coupons"

Within 2 minutes we upload a banner that says:

LOOKING FOR SHARPER IMAGE COUPONS? CLICK HERE!

And use MichaelColey's affiliate ID just to play it safe

Changing my mind
    Hmmmm. After reading all these posts I can see some differences in what I'm doing. My forum is pretty small. It's a challenge to police it, but so far I manage. The subject matter is one that rarely attracts affiliate marketers.

The kinds of businesses that participate don't use affiliates. So I allow them to post their links in direct response to a question. I think it helps the visitors, and they agree. I get questions about where to find products and services mixed in with lots of opinions and general how-to questions.

I don't see my forum degenerating into a free-for-all spam board, but now I think I might want to tighten up the rules a little bit. I can't really explain why. I've never seen a complaint on the forum or received a private complaint from a member. It's just the vibrations I'm getting from these conversations.

Billy,

since someone ELSE already posted a link to your site... you could just join in on the thread and say something like 'hey [POSTER WHO PUT URL], thanks for that site, I was looking for cheap s. Oh yeah, I also noticed they have Lillian Vernon coupons on that same site for those who posted about it'

You don't look like you're the owner of the site, you look like another average joe who is just helping out. If the forum mods aren't going to capitalize on it and put banners, links ,etc.... somebody's gotta give the people what they want; and your foot is already in the door with the original post.

Raywood: Different things work in different situations. If what you're doing is manageable for you, I wouldn't change it.

Rogi: What you're describing is fairly obvious to experienced moderators. A newbie's first post is always suspect.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast