Tracking sources on PPC direct link ads
    I am still a little green too when it comes to tracking techniques. I just read a response from Donuts in another thread where he suggests that you always.. use ...quote "tracking sources appended to your urls so you can identify their source when they show up in weird places." I have had this problem and would like to know how to append a direct link PPC ad so its source can be tracked. In fact, as we speak, I am trying to investigate some excessive clicks on a particular keyword from 2 different ppc search engines. It would be nice if I could track these clicks, but they are direct links to the merchants site. I have asked CJ for the sources of these clicks or just to provide me all sources for a particular day. Guess what? You got it!! The big nothing!! But they have not forgot me!! Yeah right!! They even sent me an email asking me if I got the problem resolved!! Oh well.. such is CJ..

Thanks in advance!!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They are different ways to do this and they differ for different PPCSEs (and can interfere with your hosting stats package at times), but this will also work.

Within adwords, append ?source= to your destination URL:
    www.site.com/sumpage.html?source=google

You can do this within your ads if you don't use unique landing pages for each keyword (in which case, you'd append "?source=google" to each of those individual keyword urls).

If you already have value pairs in your landing page, use "&" to separate them.

So let's say your landing page already includes a sku, then do this:
    www.abc.com/land.php?sku=10274&source=google

When your ad is delivered (clicked on), this url is where it lands people and you'll be able to see the source.

As I said, there are many other ways to do this. This is just a simple way.

Disclaimer - you should check with your rep where you have an advertising account to make sure you're using the preferred method and that you're using it correctly.

Thank you Donuts. I will start by contacting my Rep for the best method.

Thank you

Another question Donuts
    I have direct link ads with some lower tier ppc search companies. They farm out my ads to whomever. Is there anyway of tracking the clicks that are generated from "whomever" they farmed my ads out to? Perhaps you already answered that question in your previous reply. I am a little confused. I am tracking the ppc ads as far as which PPC search I am advertising with, but not whomever they farm my ads out to...

Thanks

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread