Can parasites hack GoldenCan script?
    Greetings. Can parasites hack/redirect affiliate ID's in GoldenCan script? I'm sure my other links are being redirected by parasites since the traffic is the same but the commissions took a nose dive. I'm thinking of just using GoldenCan.

As I was trying to say in the other thread, GoldenCAN doesn't add content. The only thing visible is the script. You might find it futile to ONLY have a site with GC scripts. You'll need content to draw the audience and to tease the search engines. Then, it's the content that gets identified by the hackers and the parasitic programs that gather the keywords in their programs that are on a visitor's infected computer. Keywords get parasitic popups. Banners and affiliate links get grabbed too.

If you are sure that you are being infested, what is your proof? It seems more like a hunch if you're assuming it's because you traffic is the same yet no sales. I know the feeling and what you're saying but I don't know how to stop the parasites and I think you're safe with GoldenCAN. If ANYONE can protect your butt, Asif CAN~!

The question shows a misunderstanding of how parasites work. There's no hacking involved. They don't change affiliate sites. They don't target specific affiliate sites.

Parasites target end users. Once installed on the end user's computer, the parasite will watch links that are clicked or URLs that are typed in. When they match sites that the parasite wants to intercept, they'll go to the parasite's link instead.

There's very little you or I (or Asif) can technically do to stop this, because it's happening on specific people's computers, not on our site. You can add "?afsrc=1" to your links (and I'm sure Asif does), but I've always had doubts as to how effective that is. The worst offenders will just ignore it, and I wouldn't be surprised if some specifically seek out this code to target.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    They don't change affiliate sites.
    Are you absolutely sure here?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    They don't target specific affiliate sites.
    They sure do. Most can target by keywords and urls. In the urls end of things, not only can they target any specific site, but specific pages as well.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    They sure do. Most can target by keywords and urls. In the urls end of things, not only can they target any specific site, but specific pages as well.
    They tend not target specific affiliate sites, they target the occurance of keywords, domain names and so on where ever they appear, the majority though target domain names (highly targeted value added redirects )

I have of late seen BHO software that works in co-ordination with web sites to target keywords on the site owners pages based upon the content of the page and the keywords that have been bought by the advertiser. This in effect changes the page, but with the permission of the site user.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    They tend not target specific affiliate sites, they target the occurance of keywords, domain names and so on where ever they appear, the majority though target domain names (highly targeted value added redirects )
    I test everyday and we'll just have to disagree here. High traffic, especially high ppc spend aff sites, are targeted often. The dominant mode of interference in this case is pop-overs (adware behavior) at aff sites cuz it's too early to grab the merchant's cookie (which isn't hatched until handoff). But most parasiteware is also adware and they love to pop competing offers right over aff sites - and they are targeted by aff site domain name. Often, they also target specific page urls at an aff site.

They do it to one site of mine all day long.

I've even made extra pages with completely unrelated content and tested these - and the popping continues.

And I've seen aff site domain names, in packets, passed back and forth to parasiteware where the "keyword" field being passed to the parasiteware mother ship (where it's calling home to determine what action to take) contains no keywords lifted from the page, but only contains the aff site's domain name.

And I've seen the keyword list files for many parasites - the hotlist that sits on the consumer's infected pc - the list of words that triggers the parasitic app to call home - and it's loaded with aff site domain names listed as keywords / triggers. Then I've tested these as well and witnessed the parasitic behavior and tracked the packets and a lot more.

So we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    I have of late seen BHO software that works in co-ordination with web sites to target keywords on the site owners pages based upon the content of the page and the keywords that have been bought by the advertiser. This in effect changes the page, but with the permission of the site user.
    Apps like eZula's TopText and Gigatech's Superbar and others will alter the content on the webpage WITHOUT anyone's permission.

This type of application is often called scumware.

It inserts banner ads, inserts phoney search engine results, highlights text, underlines text, changes regular text into hyperlinks and much more.

Here's some more info on eZula:
    http://research.sunbelt-software.com...&threatid=5117

Disbelief setting in? Well, let's go see what eZula themselves have to say:
    http://www.ezula.com/demo.html

eZula is also known as:
    iLookup, HotText, ContextPro and several other names.

Wild Media LLC often distributs TopText as a bundled f*^kware kit (I mean lots of nasty apps all tied into one little bundle which is then bundled with something that is "fun, new and exciting" and likely targeted at kids:
    http://www.intermute.com/spyware/WildMedia.html

The feds need to go down this list...
    http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-n...st_vendor.html

And bop some heads...

Hard!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Wish the Paris, Baghdad and S. American rioters would go after the Adwhore scumbags running all these theftware programs. Everyone targets kids for infestations like a schoolyard pedophile.

180Solution
    180Solution is the adware vendor that is known to take advantage of vulnerabilities found in web browsers to install its products. The most unpopular program that it publishes is nCase, which generates unsolicited advertisements and comes in many variants. It is also the publisher of another adware program, 180SearchAssistant.

Altnet Inc.
    Altnet Inc. is the vendor of Altnet Download Manager that is bundled with Kazaa. The program it publishes exposes users to privacy threats and it also generates unsolicited advertisements.

Avenue Media
    Avenue Media is company that publishes programs that hijacks the internet explorer and displays pop-up advertisements such as Dyfuca Internet Optimizer and MoneyTree. The programs it develops install other programs and are known to be bundled with other software such as Drive Speed Checker and Exhibition Wallpaper Manager.

Belcaro Group, Inc.
    Belcaro Group, Inc. is the vendor responsible for the program disguising as an online market place, ShopAtHomeSelect. The program it publishes hijacks internet browsers and is bundled with other file sharing programs such as iMesh and Grokster.

Bluetide Software
    Bluetide Software is the vendor that publishes the adware program, SurfSideKick.

Bonzi Software
    Bonzi Software is the distributor of BonziBuddy, Internet BOOST 99, Internet Alert 99, Intruder Alert 99 and Voice E-Mail.

C2 Media
    C2 Media is the publisher of the infamous browser hijacker program Lop.com Toolbar. The program it publishes comes bundled with another program, Messenger Plus!

Claria
    Claria is the publisher of the infamous ad-serving software Gator that comes bundled with file sharing programs. Other adware programs that it publishes are: Dashbar toolbar, eWallet, DateManager, WeatherScope and PrecisionTime.

Clearsearch, Inc
    Clearsearch Inc. is the publisher of a program, carrying the same name, that hijacks the internet browser and generates ads.

Click2Media, Inc.
    Click2Media, Inc. is the spyware vendor responsible for the dissemination of variants of a browser hijacker named SearchEnhancements.

Clickspring, LLC
    Clickspring, LLC is the company responsible for distributing the adware program named PurityScan.

CommonName, Ltd.
    CommonName, Ltd. is the company responsible for distributing a program of the same name which serves as a keyword service browser add-on but secretly tracks user surfing habits.

Comscore Networks Inc.
    Comscore Network Inc. is the company that services MarketScore, a program which claims as a proxy service that speeds up internet connection but secretly track online user habits.

Direct Revenue
    Direct Revenue is the spyware vendor responsible for spreading Abetterinternet/Transponder adware variants.

Effective-i Inc
    Effective-i Inc. is the publisher of an Internet Explorer Toolbar named UCMore that generates advertisements while connected to the internet.

Flashpoint Media, Ltd.
    Flashpoint Media, Ltd. is the author of the adware programs BroadCastPC and Flashtrack which monitors online user habits.

Hotbar.com
    Hotbar.com is is the spyware vendor of Hotbar which is marketed as a program for IE toolbar enhancement but is secretly collecting information from the user.

IBIS LLC
    IBIS LLC is the publisher of Websearch Toolbar, a program that hijacks the search page and start page of an internet browser. This vendor also comes in the name of TrafficSyndicate.

Mindset Interactive
    Mindset Interactive is the company that publishes the browser plug-ins NetPal and FavoriteMan. It is also behind the unpopular browser hijacker program, Transponder which is now under the auspices of Direct Revenue.

PeopleOnPage
    PeopleOnPage is the spyware vendor who developed the technology that allows the users to make one-on-one chatting possible in any website. It could be done through email and chat.

Spyware Labs, Inc.
    Spyware Labs, Inc. is the publisher of programs that claim to be ad removal tools but actually responsible for generating ones. The programs it publishes are AdDestroyer and Virtual Bouncer.

TIBS system
    TIBS system is the vendor behind TIBS Dialer, a program commonly used in different adult-oriented websites.

Top Moxie
    Top Moxie is a technology and services company which creates builds to power popular cash-back and incentive shopping properties.

Total Velocity
    Total Velocity is the spyware vendor which specializes in creating internet tools such as zSearch Toolbar, Memory Meter, T.V. Media and Speed Blaster.

Virtumundo Inc.
    Virtumundo Inc. is the spyware vendor of Newton Knows, a program that runs discreetly in the background while fetching relevant information from the user. TargetSoft.winhost32 is also an adware program developed by Virtumundo Inc.

May theexecs all do jail time along with their employees and network enablers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. Sounds like little people like me, and millions of others, will just have to live with the diminished returns. I clean my computer regularly using Counterspy, but it sounds like the real problem is on the seller's end.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Donuts

Thanks for the info there, been a while since I tested some of those, looks like I have some catching up to do

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Chris there will come a day when smart honest AM's Google the affiliates using Goldencan script code just to find those most likely NOT to screw merchants. Asif does a great job screening new GC merchant applications so neither He, nor his affiliate/merchant partnerships, get labeled as adding another layer of sleeze to this industry.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

RE: >>Apps like eZula's TopText and Gigatech's Superbar and others will alter the content on the webpage WITHOUT anyone's permission.
    This type of application is often called scumware.
    It inserts banner ads, inserts phoney search engine results, highlights text, underlines text, changes regular text into hyperlinks and much more.<<

The following stops TopText .. don't know about the others you mentioned because never tested them but I had installed TopText a few years back and after using this on all pages, it never appeared again.

INSERT near bottom of <HEAD>.. </HEAD> section .. I guess you can change the <span to anything you want that won't interfere with the rest of your style sheet:

<!-- StopText code courtesy SgtSearch.com and Thiefware.com -->
    <style type="text/css"><!-- span {font-size:12px} --></style>

If Curt Dunmire's still in this forum, he can tell you more .. I got it from him.. he is Thiefware website.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread