Getting into google
    Hi

I've read about what google term as thin affiliates and they are not liked by the SE. Just wondering does anyone has any luck getting these kind of sites in google?

Do they literally ban such sites or do they just give them poor ranking?

You can probably get that type of site into Google for a short period of time. It takes Google a moment or two to detect a site like that so some people rely on that moment and keep creating one site after another. Before one site gets dumped, they'll have another ready for it's period of traffic. Eventually this method won't work as the engines are getting much better at detecting these sites.

I don't believe Google actually bans these sites. Just the nature of them doom them to poor rankings. A good site will follow a particular linking pattern over a long period of time and this is what Google looks for. If your thin affiliate site doesn't follow this natural linking pattern, Google will detect it and toss it. If you do eventually add enough value to establish your own audience and start forming a stable linking pattern the site may just resurface.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hi Snib,

is this your personal experience?

I have a suspicion that I would like to share but I would prefer getting more opinion first to see if it holds any water.

ABW Ambassador
    I think lack of good incoming links and the sheer amount of competition out there dooms sites to bad rankings. There are plenty of "thin affiliate sites" that have great rankings. Just type in merchant coupons and coupon sites pop up. Straight up "thin" affiliate site. Google doesn't give you better rankings just because you have a return audience.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisg
    Hi Snib,

is this your personal experience?

I have a suspicion that I would like to share but I would prefer getting more opinion first to see if it holds any water.
    This is from my experience. I started out building thin affiliate sites a couple years ago for a quick buck, but now I've gotten much more serious about this business as a long term entity. My sites took a dive after a while because they were thin and couldn't maintain a steady stream of incoming links. Now that I've fattened things up the links are starting to come and my rankings are returning. It's all about the number of incoming links you get.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    I guess it's how you define thin. Is a site with lots of affiliate links thin? How about a site with no affiliate links but a site no one links too or very little incoming links. Is that thin? Any type of site can get natural links in, bookmarks etc regardless of how many affiliate links they have on them. I'm sure there are plenty of good "what people call content sites" that are buried in the SERPS too. So as far as Google any type of site can rank. Good links in or finding a good niche helps. As far as long term which is more what Snib is thinking, it's good to have a site than can sustain on its own if Google hates you. So any type of site can get into Google and get great ranks. Just type in some shopping terms, coupon codes, online coupons, merchant x coupons. All sites that could be considered thin.

I can vouch for the incoming links. I launched my (mostly content) site in May with very little incoming links. Started a linking campaign and within two weeks (and a little help from Jagger) I finally got some PR. Google is slowly crawling the site BUT a big But, has not hit the section that I call my store (which has more aff links than content), which has not one incoming link.

I figure Google considers me "thin" wether I had any affiliate links or not.

It's aggravating and confusing when you do see those BIG sites that are nothing but aff links. What the heck makes their site better than mine? They have two things that mine doesn't..1) sheer volume of links to products and 2) more incoming links. That's all.

Since I'm still new at this, I've decided to play their games and I will eventually be competitive. I may not be able to catch up right away with the volume of aff links but I can compete with more/better content as I build my "stock of aff links". At this stage, I also think that I am more able to quickly adapt to changes in the way that the SE's deal with affiliate sites. I'm a camelion right now but I'm gonna be a swan floating across the golden pond! lol! (How's that for some positive attitude?)
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

OK, heres what is happening with my sites.

I bought afew domains, one brand new and one expired domain which I did a thorough check on the backlinks and popularity. Basically they are good names for the products I am selling (as an affiliate).

I've always believe that my site should not be too optimized, call me someone that dislike popularity, loser or whatever, because basically if you rank for popular terms, you'll get alot of untargetted traffic and you'll also get visit from jealous competitors leading to complaints to the SEs for every minor fault. So I followed an advice I read somewhere, optimize like a drunk.

I advertise on adword for one of the expired domains because it doesn't have anyt traffic at all and I was making an ok profit.

Somewhere around 4-5 months later, I realize that this expired domain was added to google and I was getting quite a bit of free traffic along with my adword traffic. I left it as it is for a week or so.

Then one day I decided to add afew new ads for them, and I got a visit from the ad reviewer at google. The chap didn't like what he saw, I was a thin affiliate not a merchant, and he removed my site from google.

I was really mad at that time but consoled myself by thinking - hey, I am a thin affiliate so I am not entitled to be in google so soon for an expired domain anyway. My other site also was not in the index except for the home page.

So I continued advertising until the competition becomes too tough and I decided to drop the adword ads. I spent very little anyway but it was getting more and more costly per click. I know I won't be in google anytime so the site was left as it is.

Few months later, I was quite happy as I started getting hits from Google even though it is less than a hundred visitors per day. It would still have cost me quite abit of money if I advertise for the same amount of traffic.

Then around one to two weeks down, I again got a visit from the same adword reviewer and I got removed again!

So .. am I penalized for being a thin affiliate or for being an adword advertiser?

I have since told myself I will never ever advertise in google again. Because they hate affiliate sites and had removed me TWICE. Why should I feed the one that hates me. Being kind to your enemy is being cruel to yourself.

So here I am now with a brand new site that is ranking poorly in google and another one expired domain that has quite a bit of incoming links but being removed from google for being a thin affiliate.

The two domains are expiring soon, so it means that I have been trying to get into google for one whole year already.

My advice to the *so called the thin affiliates* reading this, if you intend to be in google, don't advertise on adword.

I am as thin as it gets and I am here to tell you that it ain't necessarily so!

I have #1 ranking on Yahoo, #1 on MSN and have just come back to #s 2 and 3 on Google for the most relevant term for my main sales site.

AND, I AIN'T GOT NO CONTENT AT ALL! Just affiliate links.

I must admit, however, I have a lot of unsolicited incoming links.

I got de stuff.

And, in about a week I will have 50,000 more products of de stuff!

I would bookmark and link to it, too.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Based on my experiences, after learning PHP and datafeeds last year. I decided to put up a datafeed site.

After almost a year with Google indexing almost all the pages, I still virtually get nil traffic from Google and other SEs.

I think it has become too competitive and Google making it clear that they dislike sites with only affiliate links is the reason.

I think google has issues.
    My months/years old sites (content/affiliate/combo), are at least INDEXED properly in msn, yahoo. In google, either they are'nt indexed, dont rank at all, or rank under lame directory or scraper sites. For their own unique Name-no less.
    My sites that do get google traffic have the least content and fewest pages.

Sandbox issue
    Duplicate content (scraper) issue
    302 redirect issue
    www / non www. issue

I still use google as my first choice to search, but have to turn to others more often recently...

I still use google as my first choice to search, but have to turn to others more often recently...
    I have been noticing this more and more lately too. Used to be able to find everything in Google. Now I have to supplement my searches with the others.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think it's any secret that the engines aren't wild about affiliate sites, but IMHO that isn't because of the fact that they're affiliate based but because of how so many are constructed and presented.

Cranked out cookie-cutter, boiler plate dups? Why do they need those in the index? What value has one over the other except who can wrangle or buy more IBLs?

But as long as there's *some* original content - meaning NOT content sites, but how about a minumum amount of original text on pages, then the pages can probably escape being triggered as duplicate content and devalued, which they can, even internally within the same site.

Just MHO.

I am not worried about competition but discriminating. I rather climb the ranking on search engines slowly but this case is different.

This is obviously discriminating against affiliate sites just so that we are forced to advertise on adword.

I doubt my site has any chance as long as there is an option for adword reviewers to remove it. But they can do that for the next 10 years, I won't be back into adword.

If anybody has doubts about this and you have one year of your life to waste, you can always try with a newly bought domain going through what I have done.

ABW Ambassador
    Then one day I decided to add afew new ads for them, and I got a visit from the ad reviewer at google. The chap didn't like what he saw, I was a thin affiliate not a merchant, and he removed my site from google.
    It doesn't work that way at all, the ad people don't fool with the regular index. Are you 100% sure it was from the Adwords staff, or was it from engineering?

Oh BTW, vaisg were you only in the regular Adwords, or also opted in for the content network?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    It doesn't work that way at all, the ad people don't fool with the regular index. Are you 100% sure it was from the Adwords staff, or was it from engineering?
    OK, just to clarify your doubts, my site is new so there are no traffic to speak of , much less traffic to new pages other than the home page. Whenever, I put a new ad, I will get afew visit from India, which is probably google's outsource people and afew or one (can't really remember) from a US ip. This visits always relates directly to the ads involved, meaning the go straight to the destination page I state on the ad.

I monitor my logs like a hawk because one, I have but only that much visitors even with the inclusion into google. The most slightly more than a hundred, so it is not such a difficult task, compared to those sites that may have ten thousand visitors a day.

When I add the new ads, the same US ip appears in my log but it when further to click on the affiliate links, presumably checking 'hmm.. is this to a shopping cart or to a merchant's site' and I failed the test.

Soon after, exactly how long I am not sure probably a week or so, I am gone from the index.

Second removal, same visit, not via search, click, click, click, ten days or so, I am gone.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Oh BTW, vaisg were you only in the regular Adwords, or also opted in for the content network?
    I don't understand this question. I am in adword with search and content. I opt out of content for this case because my budget is low.

Or do you mean to ask if I am in adsense?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread