Search engines and the semantic web?
    I was reading some papers from a conference on search today and one made reference to the semantic web, and extracting meaningful data from a template site based on HTML parse trees. One of the authors was from Google.

The long and the short of this semantic web stuff seems to be extracting not only words from a page, but also the meaning. For example, pulling out ingredients, title, and instructions from a recipe site, and removing stuff that's not recipe related. A lot of it is based on knowing that the site started out as a database and a template engine is being applied to generate human readable site. The semantic part comes by reversing the page back to the component data.

As a datafeed site, do you think we'd be better off having the SE's be able to do this or not? Would it depend on the purpose of the site?

Thanks,

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanW
    As a datafeed site, do you think we'd be better off having the SE's be able to do this or not? Would it depend on the purpose of the site?
    Depends on whether anyone bothers to add anything to their feeds pages other than just the item number, image, and price.

I vote yes, but then I try to add more "context" to the presentation. (sorry if that sounds arrogant).

Fred

I think templates are a bit dangerous, throwing massively interlinked pages onto the web all at once, the duplicate content filter, stuff like that.

But, you know there are many different ways to get traffic and database driven sites can be a really nice asset for a site ;-)

hey, I've been trying to write/throw together some small vertical search engines...have you looked into Search::Kinosearch?

As far as putting it together yourself, you realize things get complicated very quickly, but fun concepts abound ;-)

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread