eBay - Phishing or For Real?
    Received e-mail from security @ eBay.com with an "eBay Fraud Mediation Request", starting with: "You have recieved this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter."; then - Fraud Alerd ID code; the - link to click and verify stuff... Received one for each eBay account we have. That's what made me think it is probably another phishing e-mail... Anyone else has received this? Is it really phishing or it is for real?

Geno

When in doubt, I'll read the email, but dont click on any links or attachments. Then log into your acct. to check everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    When in doubt, I'll read the email, but dont click on any links or attachments. Then log into your acct. to check everything out.
    I did log in and everything looks beautiful That's why I asked... The message just looked too good to be some cheap phishing scam. I guess, they started spending more time on creating these.

Geno

Does it show your name and/or eBay login? Phishing scames almost never have personal information in them. They almost always say something generic like "Valued eBay Member".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    A rule of thumb: It is always Phishing. I have received so many of these and some look 100% authentic.

Only conduct business after you manually input the URL so you know your are at the authentic site. Then, once you get to ebay, paypal, etc, and log into your account, you will know if there is any business you need to take care of.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Does it show your name and/or eBay login? Phishing scames almost never have personal information in them. They almost always say something generic like "Valued eBay Member".
    No name/login. Just:

-------------
    ***Urgent Safeharbor Department Notice***

eBay Fraud Mediation Request

Date: 05 November 2005

You have recieved this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

THE FRAUD ALERT ID CODE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE WILL BE ATTACHED IN OUR FRAUD MEDIATION REQUEST FORM, IN ORDER TO VERIFY YOUR EBAY ACCOUNT REGISTRATION INFORMATIONS.

Fraud Alert ID CODE: 00937614

(Please save this Fraud Alert ID Code for your reference.)

To help speed up this process, please access the following form to complete the verification of your eBay account registration informations: ......... BLA-BLA-BLA-BLA-BLA-BLA....

What Cheesehead said.

Anything you need to know about from PayPal or ebay are there as messages from your usual bookmarked login. Don't follow any links in emails.

They are getting very clever, but part of it is that they send so many that eventually you'll get one referring to something similar to what really has happened to you recently - it's just a coincidence and It is always Phishing.

Exclamation
    there will always be a link to click on because the crooks don't want you to go direct and get the truth. they are banking on you panicing and jumping on the link to straighten things out.

if you right-click on that link (you won't be going there, then) and click on "properties" you'll find that the first domain in the url is NOT eBay. or whatever bank the phony email claims to be from. usually.

banks and eBay and others know now not to request such actions via email.

I always check the header
    Just for fun, I always check the header on these messages. Sometimes they look so official they might very hard to ignore. Then I'll look at the routing and see something like the message originating in Russia, relayed through some Carribean or African country and arrived at my server with a "from" field listing a well known company.

I got the same thing for almost every email address I have. Except for my real Ebay account address. It's phishing.

please access the following form to complete the verification of your eBay account registration informations
    There's your key. It's phishing, send it to abuse AT ebay. Don't just forward the email, they can't see the header info. You need to send an email and attach the fraud email.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Don't believe anything.

I go to the site (paypal or ebay and now even Amazon) to see if there is an issue there. I never open an email that says paypal or ebay anymore. If they ARE trying to contact me, I'm SOL but I figure I'll find out soon enough if there really IS a problem.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Send the email to spoof -at- ebay.com. They will reply back to you whether the eamil is legit or not. I report at least one email a day anymore, and it's on a yahoo email account I don't use for anything, especially ebay.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Well, simply put the look at the HTML source and check that it's a real eBay link with no funny stuff going on. Check the headers too... if you conduct any type of internet-based business you should learn how to do this.

A few other things - use a unique email address for eBay and PayPal if you can. That's not infallible, but a help. Using an application with anti-phishing protection built in (such as [http://www.eudora.com]Eudora[/url] or the Netcraft Toolbar helps.

However, my general advice is always ASSUME it's a phish unless the evidence says otherwise. Don't be tempted to click the link AT ALL because the web site may be infected with a trojan. If you must poke at a suspect site, use a tool like Sam Spade for Windows.

I have to say that some of these phish attempts are very, very good. And as I result I do see a *lot* of compromised accounts selling non-existant goods, even Power Seller accounts.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Its easy for phishers to get personal info on e-bayers. Just open an acct. & sell . or buy a lot of cheap junk. Name, e-mail, phone, paypal info. & more. Scary stuff.

If you logged in the regular way and didn't see a problem, then there is NO PROBLEM. If you click the link in the email. Then you'll have BIG problems.

ABW Ambassador
    Describing the email does nothing, it is the link only that matters.

The spelling mistakes and ALL CAPS should alert you to the fact that it is a phishing email.

Best advice: just delete the stupid e-mail, and log into your account to check if everything's okay.

Thanks, everyone!

Geno

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread