Selling Advertising?
    Hey folks. I want to start selling some advertising in certain parts of one of my content sites. Does anyone have experience with doing this? More to the point, can anyone recommend a script for managing the back end, payments, etc.?

Thanks!

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

If you want to offload it, look at AdEngage. I tried them on one site and it was ok, but I could probably make more selling direct if I had the time to deal with it, which I don't.

The one thing I did not like was the "network" ads are terrible...gambling, dating, make money fast. So if you don't have a few sponsors the default ads stink.

If you find a good script for managing your own ad sales, let me know. I looked at a few last year and wasn't so blown away by any of them that I wanted to install and integrate one. I've got a few sites that would be great for selling ads though, so I'm still interested in pulling this off the back burner.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    I use phpAdsNew and PayPal subscription payments... No complaints yet & I've handled penty of direct advertising campaigns this way

Have you found that your advertisers are able to navigate all the terminology in phpAdsNew? I felt like it would be confusing and would require a lot of handholding to get things set up. I'll have to see if the Postgres version is up to snuff and give it another go. I have quite a lot of spots for ad inventory and I have a (retired) family member who asks me weekly if he can go out and sell ads for me.

I also have a site that is crying out for a classified ads section. I need more hours in the day.
    Tim

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I was wondering about this too. If you have them pay via PayPal, are you setting up a merchant account? Or just using regular PayPal?
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

I am greedy when it comes to money and I never use 3rd parties.
    If you have a HIGH PR you can sell text link space and make up to 100 dollars per link.
    You can also sell banner space and use a software like phpmyadsnew to rotate and sell at a flat rate of anywhere from 25 to 500 dollars per spot depending on your traffic.

I would go to forums like dnforum.com and webhostingtalk.com they both have advertising sections you can sell space at.

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    phpAdsNew - I think it's quite easy for people to navigate if you provide them w/ the login for stats... they can't do anything but look at stats & all of the options speak for themselves. No complaints or questions whatsoever.

PayPal - I have a PayPal business acct and use subscription payments for advertising. This automatically charges them every month so neither of us have to worry about remembering. Once they cancel their subscription, I get an email from PayPal. I look at the details, find the date it started & set their campaign in phpAdsNew to end on the same date or following day of the current or following month, depending. The only other things I need to do is turn on/off their Sponsor group status in the forums and remove text links on two pages.

Only a couple of times have I thought a member was spamming because I didn't check my email first and see that they paid for advertising. Once they pay, promotional posts are allowed & they stick to the Sponsored Sales forum for the most part. So, I had to wipe the egg off my face, move their posts back to public view and set them up as sponsors.

Unfortunately some of the advertisers I get are only in it for the fair weather months due to the markets and event season for that niche, so I end up activating and deactivating campaigns as they start and cancel their subscriptions via PayPal. I have also traded for advertising, getting product for a year's worth of advertising. In those cases, I just set them up for a year through phpAdsNew once I get the product(s) & that's that.

The only "downside" if you want to call it that is that I don't have a lot of affiliate links or my own products if they compete w/ the sponsors. I have other sites for that. I like to keep things fair for the paying advertisers, so I try not to compete w/ them & my mods are good about taking care of spam quickly. Once a sponsor leaves, I may use some affiliate or cpc links to replace them, though many of my sponsors have overlapping inventories, so I won't have to worry about that for a while...

That's great info...thanks for sharing!
    Tim

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I sell ad space on my site manually. I take payments through PayPal and add links and/or banners once the invoice is paid. I keep track of who needs to be billed for renewal and when then send ad renewal notices from PayPal.

I tried Adbrite. Didn't like the ads that were showing up on my pages (even with pre-selection) and the formatting looked awful.

I recommend selling ads yourself. It's not a big hassle to manage them. My only issue with it is hand holding the advertisers. Most don't have a clue about writing copy or what to do so you do need to help and enlighten them a bit in the beginning. Make sure they are on the best pages for their product(s) and charge fairly. You'll have monthly payments coming in without having to check stats, worry about tracking, parasites or cheats. It's a beautiful thing. :-) Feel free to PM me if you neeed more info.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

If I do it, I don't want it to be another thing I have to spend an hour a day keeping track of, that's the big thing. Maybe I can outsource it to India.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    If I do it, I don't want it to be another thing I have to spend an hour a day keeping track of, that's the big thing. Maybe I can outsource it to India.
    You will definitely need to keep track of your advertisers and ad renewals. It's work, just like anything else that produces income but once you have a solid advertiser who renews every month, it's nice easy income. Personally, I don't mind it one bit. Besides getting paid, it's fun for me to put together an effective campaign for an advertiser. Cooler still when they have great success on my site. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I understand that. Not being lazy, just realistic. I already have a 40-hr/wk consulting gig, spend probably another 2-4 hours a day on affiliate stuff and building web sites, so if it's not something that's somewhat self-running I probably can't take it on.

I'd love to see a system where all I have to do is approve the ads and everything else was taken care of. Maybe I'll have to write one.
    Tim

[QUOTE=infoTim
    I'd love to see a system where all I have to do is approve the ads and everything else was taken care of. Maybe I'll have to write one. [/QUOTE]

Cool. If you do, I might buy it. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I understand that. Not being lazy, just realistic. I already have a 40-hr/wk consulting gig, spend probably another 2-4 hours a day on affiliate stuff and building web sites, so if it's not something that's somewhat self-running I probably can't take it on.

I'd love to see a system where all I have to do is approve the ads and everything else was taken care of. Maybe I'll have to write one.
    Want help?

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

I use adcycle... available at http://adcycle.com

Have for many years... main down side is that the creator is too busy to update the software so he is no longer charging for it... he does have a forum for users.

easy to setup and use... each campaign can have a saparate account... so advertsier can see his stats...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Already wrote one (and more), want to contribute? Public beta in a few weeks if you want to peek first .

ABW Ambassador
    Can anyone recommend a company like AdBrite that accepts PayPal? I just wasted time adding a bunch of campaigns to my cart only to find they don't take PayPal. ugh, how frustrating...

We use Open Ad Stream to manager our ad delivery.

Talking
    You can set up an account on paypal.

In your paypal acct select that what you want is for this to be a monthly subscription.

Put up a form where they enroll in your ad program on your site.

Example:

Name:__________
    Address:________
    City:___________
    State:__________
    Web site url:_______
    Banner url:__________
    Their e-mail address:_________
    Site Description:_____________

Paypal will give you a link to copy and paste below your form on your page.

Please click here to submit your ad (Link). Or what ever you want it to say.

When they click on the link they will be taken to an invoice at paypal that will bill them what you want to charge for a month.

You can tell your paypal acct where to send them after they pay for their ad.

Tell paypal to send them to a THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS page and you can also have another form on that page to get any additional information that you want them to give you about their site. Have this form e-mailed to you instead of paypal.

Paypal will auto send you an e-mail telling you that you have a new customer and the information that you need to put their link on your site.

Paypal will auto bill your customer every month from now on and auto collect your money for you until you tell paypal to quit billing that customer monthly.

Every month when they are due to pay you paypal will auto send you an e-mail telling you if the customer paid you or not.

If they didn't pay you - delete their site from your site.

Once you tell paypal how to handle this it is auto from then on until you tell them to cancel a subscription on a customer.

I have done it this way for years and have always been paid every month - on time - without any problems or having to do anything except for removing or adding a link on my site every now or then.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    PayPal ....... phhttew! I spit on thee foul demon! ( PayPal, not Celicaphile.... thought I better clarify that...! )
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    It's okay, I've been called worse :P

Good advice ... Any ideas selling or outsourcing a combined ad on a free DVD and website? (one lump sum instead of a monthly fee)

We are planning to give away 50-100,000 ad sponsored DVD's to a very large market. Four ads on each DVD, plus a one year banner and 100 DVDs for the sponsor to give away (or resell). That's 10-20 million ad views per sponsor, seen every time the DVD is played.

My question is:
    In addition to selling direct, is there a best way to interest affiliates?
    We were thinking a 50:50 split of the profits, ($50.00), but would a variable markup be better? ($50-150.00) Thanks!
    He who knows others is wise; He who know himself is enlightened.

He who knows does not speak. He who speaks (me) does not know.

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

To know you have enough is to be rich.

- Lao Tzu, "Tao Te Ching"

:santa2:

viking:

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread