ABW Ambassador
    Locking The Desktop
    I've seen there are programs you can buy but was wondering if there was another way to do this. A free program or if XP has something that can do this. I just want to be able to lock it up so no one can mess around with my computer and be able to unlock with a password or something like that. Thanks

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well, here's part of it, at least. You can do it by putting a PW on your screensaver, like they do on those mall display computers.

In XP:
    Right Click on the Desktop-->Properties-->Screensaver--> Check "On resume, password protect"

Set your screensaver to start up fast, too, so you don't have to sit there 1/2 hour waiting for it to kick in.

Not sure what goes after that (or just how you get your PW in there to begin with) since I've never been wanting to aggravate myself in that way...

(Told you it was only part of it )
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I googled and:
    "Your screen saver password is the same as your logon password. If you do not use a password to log on, you cannot set a screen saver password."

So maybe i just need to find out how make it so i have to have a password to logon.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I googled and:
    "Your screen saver password is the same as your logon password. If you do not use a password to log on, you cannot set a screen saver password."

So maybe i just need to find out how make it so i have to have a password to logon.
    In the 'choose screensaver box' (through control panel/appearance/screensaver) , you can set it to password protect upon resume. If you haven't set a password for your computer already you should be able to pick a password after you click the "password protect upon resume"box. That's how I had mine on XP Pro set up before I got this new rig and now it just does it automatically. Otherwise there is a way to set a password through XP normally. I'm dense as mud about how a computer operates so I can't tell you how to set a password normally. Doesn't everyone (except me) know how to do this?!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Doesn't everyone (except me) know how to do this?!
    No.

I have enough passwords to remember, without even considering putting one on the computer itself LOL!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I googled and:

I didn't use a password to logon when I set my screensaver to lock it up. I think you can do this without a logon password set through XP Pro.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Have you tried the Windows XP Help section on your computer?
    Start
    Help & Support
    Click on Index at the top left
    Search for the word 'Passwords'

If you don't want anyone to use your machine when you're not around, you'll end up in the Computer Management area of XP setting a log on password. You'll then need to use it whenever you log on to your machine and you'll be able to lock your machine using the 3 finger salute (ctrl,alt,delete) & leave it running while you take a catnap or make a sandwich.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, i think i got. I click Control Panel, then User Accounts. I have my name listed as Computer Administrator, I click that, then click Create A Password. I guess that should do it.

Usually the computer is on all the time. So when i do log off completely then log back on to windows, i just wanted to be able to set a password before everything starts to load up. I think the above should do the trick.

Ok, i think i got. I click Control Panel, then User Accounts. I have my name listed as Computer Administrator, I click that, then click Create A Password. I guess that should do it.
    Duhhhhhhhhhhh for people who spend so much time on our computers, we're awfully dumb about basic functions, huh?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    I'm one of the most computer ignorant people around

I thought I was. Glad to know I'm not alone. My computer guy has to do everything for me. LOL - He hasn't a clue about the Internet though. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I wish I was computer ignorant. I'd actually have a life . . .

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I am still to this day mostly computer ignorant but when it takes you over 3 hours to get viruses off of a computer and then have to reload the whole operating system and programs both of my pc's are now password protected to keep out teenage boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Justdoit
    I am still to this day mostly computer ignorant but when it takes you over 3 hours to get viruses off of a computer and then have to reload the whole operating system and programs both of my pc's are now password protected to keep out teenage boys.
    My teenage daughter now has my old, infested computer, sluggish from her forays into infested sites and uncleanable because the reg was overtaken long ago. My new one is also password protected. Kids are expensive ... ;-)

I wouldn't have a clue about finding or eradicating the nasties or any problems with the H/D or O/S. That's what my computer guy is for. I have a mad crush on him so it doesn't hurt so much when I have to call him in to fix stuff.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    My teenage daughter now has my old, infested computer, sluggish from her forays into infested sites and uncleanable because the reg was overtaken long ago. My new one is also password protected. Kids are expensive ... ;-)

I wouldn't have a clue about finding or eradicating the nasties or any problems with the H/D or O/S. That's what my computer guy is for. I have a mad crush on him so it doesn't hurt so much when I have to call him in to fix stuff.
    That reminds me of a date I had this past summer. I got snagged in an online dating site, hooked up with her for a Friday night and spent 6 hours the next day fixing her computer and haven't hooked up with her since. I guess that's what online dating is all about . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bwc
    That reminds me of a date I had this past summer. I got snagged in an online dating site, hooked up with her for a Friday night and spent 6 hours the next day fixing her computer and haven't hooked up with her since. I guess that's what online dating is all about . . .
    Well I didn't meet my computer guy online. He's a local computer repair/tech guy. LOL - Sunds like you need to leaern to say "no" bwc! Or look at it as you paid for your hook up ... kinda puts a new spin on things. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread