Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    ABW Veteran jc101's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    4,597
    Interesting video that made me rethink about issues and our country....
    Well we all know that problems in our country like medical and SSI and employment. the different religions and hate torwards other races,religions,etc. since Abw is a community of people here and all different races,religions,etc and there doing affiliate market or related stuff, I thought this video that I found was a great message to everyone here, it was a message we all should think about. Video that brings a message to everyone Good luck n affiliate marketing, and I'm starting to get back in Rythem with affiliate marketing. What do you think of the video? I can't stop thinking about it. lol

  2. #2
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by jc101
    Well we all know that problems in our country like medical and SSI and employment. the different religions and hate torwards other races,religions,etc. since Abw is a community of people here and all different races,religions,etc and there doing affiliate market or related stuff, I thought this video that I found was a great message to everyone here, it was a message we all should think about. Video that brings a message to everyone Good luck n affiliate marketing, and I'm starting to get back in Rythem with affiliate marketing. What do you think of the video? I can't stop thinking about it. lol
    Awesome! Great old Marvin Gaye song. Gave me goosebumps. A good sign.
    Thanks for sharing jc!
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador PatrickAllmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2005
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    1,219
    Hmmm. Althought it is a nice catchy song (which is why they used it) and it is full of pop artists, I get annoyed on the the whole when entertainers try to push a political message. Entertainers are here just for that - to entertain. I am not interested in hearing Beatty, or Britney, or Gwen talk to me about politics. They are hear for their self interest and self promotion.

    Dance for me. Sing for me. Don't tell me about how great the world would be if we were all equal and fair.

  4. #4
    Content $ Queen Ebudae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,823
    OMG - that was awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.

    I think Marvin would be proud.

    And as far as entertainers talking politics - what about old folk songs dating back centuries, Joe Hill, Woody Gutherie, Dylan, Crosby - Stills - Nash - Young, Joan Baez, Simon and Garfunkel, and Marvin himself? Would you have their voices be silenced?

    Music has always been used to inform and enlighten - as well as entertain.

    Hello darkness, my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again,
    Because a vision softly creeping,
    Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
    And the vision that was planted in my brain
    Still remains
    Within the sound of silence.

    In restless dreams I walked alone
    Narrow streets of cobblestone,
    'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
    I turned my collar to the cold and damp
    When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
    That split the night
    And touched the sound of silence.

    And in the naked light I saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more.
    People talking without speaking,
    People hearing without listening,
    People writing songs that voices never share
    And no one dare
    Disturb the sound of silence.

    "Fools" said I, "You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows.
    Hear my words that I might teach you,
    Take my arms that I might reach you."
    But my words like silent raindrops fell,
    And echoed
    In the wells of silence

    And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made.
    And the sign flashed out its warning,
    In the words that it was forming.
    And the sign said, "The words of the prophets
    are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls."
    And whispered in the sounds of silence.
    Ebudae


  5. #5
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebudae
    OMG - that was awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.

    I think Marvin would be proud.

    And as far as entertainers talking politics - what about old folk songs dating back centuries, Joe Hill, Woody Gutherie, Dylan, Crosby - Stills - Nash - Young, Joan Baez, Simon and Garfunkel, and Marvin himself? Would you have their voices be silenced?

    Music has always been used to inform and enlighten - as well as entertain.

    Hello darkness, my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again,
    Because a vision softly creeping,
    Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
    And the vision that was planted in my brain
    Still remains
    Within the sound of silence.

    In restless dreams I walked alone
    Narrow streets of cobblestone,
    'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
    I turned my collar to the cold and damp
    When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
    That split the night
    And touched the sound of silence.

    And in the naked light I saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more.
    People talking without speaking,
    People hearing without listening,
    People writing songs that voices never share
    And no one dare
    Disturb the sound of silence.

    "Fools" said I, "You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows.
    Hear my words that I might teach you,
    Take my arms that I might reach you."
    But my words like silent raindrops fell,
    And echoed
    In the wells of silence

    And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made.
    And the sign flashed out its warning,
    In the words that it was forming.
    And the sign said, "The words of the prophets
    are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls."
    And whispered in the sounds of silence.
    Great song. Thanks for posting the lyrics, Ebudae.

    Dang ... dredging up old memories. :-)
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador JJJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    I get annoyed on the the whole when entertainers try to push a political message. Entertainers are here just for that - to entertain. I am not interested in hearing Beatty, or Britney, or Gwen talk to me about politics. They are hear for their self interest and self promotion.
    Agreed, a pack of multi-millionaires out on show, after the shoot they'll all go home to their mansions and be pampered like royalty, while the people they are singing about clean their toilets and water their gardens. That Bono fool makes me laugh, all the crap about cancelling world debt and the MIDGET does not pay 1 cent in taxes in Ireland.

  7. #7
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Great read on The Heart of America.... http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/1...s_stronge.html

    The original song played in one of the opening cerimonies of this year's World Series games was fantastic. ..."Heart Of America," a Song of Hope; Michael McDonald, Wynona Judd and Eric Benét Join Terry Dexter and the First Full Gospel Choir of New Orleans... http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release...lease_id=97375

    http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...510230334/1006

    Some lyrics....

    Maybe now is the time for all of us to search our lives

    Tear those tall walls down, touch your neighbor's hand
    Let them know love still survives.

    Though we follow different faiths and we come from different lands

    We are family, for we all believe

    In the dream of the common man

    Chorus:

    It's the Heart of America, it's the soul of you and me

    No matter what we've been through, we hold to be true

    This promise of Liberty

    We're the Heart of America, and for all that we've sacrificed

    A love that speaks, in the heart that beats in you and me

    Every time someone's in need, huddled masses or alone

    Every step you take, every effort made

    Helps them find their way back home

    In this land we all are free, to agree or disagree

    But in this time of need we find unity

    That's the best that we can be

    Chorus:

    It's the Heart of America, it's the soul of you and me

    No matter what we've been through, the Red, White and Blue

    Is the promise of Liberty

    We are the Heart of America, and for those who've lost their lives

    It's the love that speaks, in the heart that beats, in you and me

    Make a difference today

    Let us stand here as one

    We all have a dream

    That it can be done and it will be done

    Chorus:

    It's the Heart of America, it's the soul of you and me

    No matter what we've been through, we hold to be true

    The promise of Liberty

    We are the Heart of America, and for all who've Sacrificed

    It's the love that speaks, in the heart that beats (x2)

    It's the love that speaks, for you and me

    Maybe now this is the time

    The Heart of America


    Download it from http://www.apple.com/itunes/
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  8. #8
    Devil's Reject Electropulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    987
    haha, lol the day this world becomes near perfect, is the day the sun goes supernova.

    interesting all those rich folks in that video spend so much money on materialist meanilist crap and drugs.

    this world will never be perfect.

  9. #9
    Eternal Optimist Look4's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Home base: Pennsylvania
    Posts
    438
    Musicians & politics
    I don't begrudge musicians who bring political issues on stage with them. Whether you agree with their opinions or not, they bring the issues out in the open to an important audience - the youth of today, our strength for tomorrow.

    In my opinion, the most important, and successful message sent by the music and entertainment community wasn't LIve Aid, Band Aid, or Marvin Gay'd. It was the Rock the Vote series sponsored by MTV in the late 80's. Nick Butterworth may have been a jerk, and destroyed MTV Online when Viacom gave it to him to run, but he was the driving force behind Rock The Vote. And for that reason he has my respect. The Vote is what it is all about - regardless of whether you're a right wing homophobe or left wing bleeding heart, the vote is the most powerful way to make change in the US (and most other Westernized countries).

    I may not agree with some of the message in the Marvin Gay remake video (especially the Drop the Debt idea - that's the absolutely WRONG thing to do for many, many reasons) - but I don't begrudge the multi-millionaires on stage their right, if not responsibility, to bring social and political issues to the attention of their audience. Goodness knows it's a hard enough audience to reach.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

    Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

  10. #10
    A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    822
    I have a lot of respect for entertainers that use their fame to push their message. I may not agree with a particular message, but I still support their freedom to say it. What is it Volitaire said? "I might not agree with what you have to say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it."

    So they have money, so they have vices. Many of them worked hard to get that money. You don't become a pop star over night... And the vices....? Name one person that doesn't have some vice. Doesn't have to be drugs or alcohol... My vice? I don't pay enough attention to those around me.... I get wrapped up in my own problems. And I'll bet 90% of the American - hell, the world - population have that same vice. Can't you just appreciate a worthwhile statement for what it is? Entertainers were born out of a necessity to give people a new perspective on things. Going back to Roman times, the Renaissance, artists, gladiators, they all sent out a message. Made people look at things differently, whether good, bad, life-changing or not. That IS their job. And because they can do it while 'entertaining' you, you'll pay attention. Every song has a message, every piece of art tells a story, every dance is born of emotion. Entertainment is art, and art is life. Why not tell all the people who benefitted from charities that entertainers support, that entertainers have no business doing charitable things. I'm SURE they'll agree - not. If the rich didn't help these organizations, who do you think would help the poor, the sick, the downtrodden? The government? Ha! If you ask me, it would be a sin to be that rich and NOT give or try to help.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

  11. #11
    Internet Cowboy
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    4,662
    I smell a political meltdown brewing here.


  12. #12
    Super Sh!t Stirrer SSanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    9,944
    Well, it is certainly nothing new.

    Consider George M Cohan!

    http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/cohan.htm
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

  13. #13
    The Eternal Optimist zimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    696
    I don't mind it in the music arena at all...music is a form of expression of self. But when people like Tom Cruise start pretending they are doctors - that irks me to no end.



    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

  14. #14
    Content $ Queen Ebudae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Every song has a message, every piece of art tells a story, every dance is born of emotion. Entertainment is art, and art is life. Why not tell all the people who benefitted from charities that entertainers support, that entertainers have no business doing charitable things..
    Very well said!

    I read a book once about the Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton. She was very rich and when the depression hit, many people bad mouthed her for her lifestyle. But what they did not know about (and she didn't not publicize) was all the money she donated to charity. She did do good things whether people knew it or not.

    So while people might look at a celebrity and only see their riches - you really have no idea of what they do or give privately.
    Ebudae


  15. #15
    Content $ Queen Ebudae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Well, it is certainly nothing new.

    Consider George M Cohan!

    http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/cohan.htm
    Very good example!!!

    And I just love the movie of his life with Cagney!!

    I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy...
    Ebudae


  16. #16
    A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    822
    Yes, excellent example Ssanf! Thank you.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

  17. #17
    MasterMike HardwareGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,810
    That video sucks.
    But thats just my opinion.

  18. #18
    Full Member BrattyKitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    I don't mind it in the music arena at all...music is a form of expression of self. But when people like Tom Cruise start pretending they are doctors - that irks me to no end.
    It irks me to no end as well. He lost a fan with his attack on Brooke. As a parent of a child (25 years old) with a whole-lotta-problems, I resent entertainers like him dictating what is acceptible therapy. Stick to what you know Tom!


    Back to the video: The video was great and the lyrics are excellent - I don't really care how rich the entertainers are, they're expressing an opinion and raising awareness. I don't have a problem with that at all.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

    :female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

  19. #19
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Land of The NFL Champs!
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by jc101
    What do you think of the video? I can't stop thinking about it. lol
    I watched the video. These are nice things to wish for, no doubt.

    One must have a faith that surpasses belief in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny in order to have much hope for all of us to "get along" however. Consider the following:

    - Genocide has been a way of life for all recorded history (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide ), and continues to be practiced today in Sudan.

    - War for all sorts of reasons never ends (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War )

    Why can't humanity as a whole change? I believe there is one important reason:

    Mankind is fallen and inheritantly evil. That is not to say every person is a murderer, a thief, etc. Rather, this belief gives all born into this world an "unredeemed" state with the capacity to do evil. Note again, I believe that "unredeemed" can still be nice people - I know plenty.

    Does this mean there is no hope?

    No. There is hope.

    Change is possible on an individual level. One may be "redeemed" and freed from what amounts to a worldwide generational curse. A friend of mine has done missionary work in the middle east - that's a tough row to hoe considering what he has to offer is considered illegal but he says that he can reach people on a personal one-on-one basis.

    I won't go into the specifics of my beliefs. I don't believe the moderators/administrators would want me to. If you want to know what I believe, read the Gospel of John.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

  20. #20
    The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    329
    That video was very unimpressive. Celebrities trying to save to world, so tired of it all. I'd like to see those celebrities do that video without their buckets of make-up plastered on, then it would be interesting.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

  21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Do I need to rethink this whole thing? Getting nervous...
    By Joe Bongo in forum Newbie Affiliate FAQs & Helpful Articles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 15th, 2014, 03:09 AM
  2. What's More Important - Country Where Site is Hosted Or Target Country?
    By knewthis in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •